vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RE: Las Vegas

Hybrid View

Default RE: Las Vegas

As some of you may know I will be going to Las Vegas for a Convention in a few weeks . . . while some folks have been telling me how "lucky" and "fun" Vegas is I have to confess that I really am going for the Convention and not for the trip since I don't particularly care for the whole idea of Vegas (as I've told more than one person . . . if I want to see the Eiffel Tower I would rather go to Paris than see a 2/3 scale replica . . . if I want to see New York I would rather see the real place . . . etc.)

So anyways, I'm looking forward to the Convention (last year I was even mildly surprised when I was walking down on the Convention floor with one of our Inspectors and there I was being projected on a plasma TV . . . turns out a PSA I did with the National Christmas Tree Association was being played since the NCTA had a booth set up there) . . . but I was wondering if folks have any suggestions of things to do, places to go, etc. that are . . . well . . . not so "plastic" and "neon."

Of course I'm hoping to grab a few caches in the area . . . although it seems like most of them are virtuals and micros . . .
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Red Rock Canyon! Take in a show or two; off broadway productions are way fun!! Cirque de soleil is cool too. Go to Las Vegas speedway and do one of the driving experiences and watch the Airforce fighter planes take off from the Airbase. Hoover Dam isn't to far away and that is awesome. The rollercoaster on top of the skytower is thrilling if you like to be scared to death!! There are more things to do than time to do them. Enjoy!!!
    There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.~~Albert Einstein
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Many wise words are spoken in jest, but they don't compare with the number of stupid words spoken in earnest. - Sam Levenson (1911 - 1980)

Default Vegas & Nevada

I have never been to Vegas myself, but my co-worker has gone there a couple of times and here are a few things he has done outside of the strip.

1. All I can say is DAM. The Hover Dam is a neat thing to see and as was mentioned in the previous post is not to far from Vegas.

2. If you are into ripping up the sand in a dune buggy there is a place near vegas that offers two options. Take a back canyon/valley tour (lasts a couple hours) in a large Dune Buggy that holds somewhere between 4 to 6 people. This option has a driver guiding the tour. The second option is to rent your own dune buggy and have at it on the local dunes. This option puts you behind the wheel. I am not sure what the place is called, but can probably be found with a search on the internet. If not and you are interested let me know and I can ask my co-worker for more details.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf207 View Post
    I have never been to Vegas myself, but my co-worker has gone there a couple of times and here are a few things he has done outside of the strip.

1. All I can say is DAM. The Hover Dam is a neat thing to see and as was mentioned in the previous post is not to far from Vegas.

2. If you are into ripping up the sand in a dune buggy there is a place near vegas that offers two options. Take a back canyon/valley tour (lasts a couple hours) in a large Dune Buggy that holds somewhere between 4 to 6 people. This option has a driver guiding the tour. The second option is to rent your own dune buggy and have at it on the local dunes. This option puts you behind the wheel. I am not sure what the place is called, but can probably be found with a search on the internet. If not and you are interested let me know and I can ask my co-worker for more details.
    Hmmm . . . two votes for the dam. I just might do this . . . and see if there are any caches along the way. Thanks.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Red Rock Canyon! Take in a show or two; off broadway productions are way fun!! Cirque de soleil is cool too. Go to Las Vegas speedway and do one of the driving experiences and watch the Airforce fighter planes take off from the Airbase. Hoover Dam isn't to far away and that is awesome. The rollercoaster on top of the skytower is thrilling if you like to be scared to death!! There are more things to do than time to do them. Enjoy!!!
    Red Rock Canyon . . . what's there and how do you get there? I'm not much of a broadway show kind of guy . . . and you of all people should know that I live on a firefighter's budget!

Hoover Dam might also be an option . . . I did drive out there one time several years back, but didn't realize I could do a tour of the place.

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    Red Rock Canyon . . . what's there and how do you get there? I'm not much of a broadway show kind of guy . . . and you of all people should know that I live on a firefighter's budget!

Hoover Dam might also be an option . . . I did drive out there one time several years back, but didn't realize I could do a tour of the place.
    Firstly, there are red rocks and a canyon. Miles of walking trails as it is a park, plenty of parking and wild @.$.$.es on the way. No, really, wild donkey, serious. They are cool. The best way to get there is to rent a car. It would be easily found on a map and is only about 20 minutes west of the city proper. I'm willing to bet there will be more than one cache on the way if there isn't one or more in the park.
    Last edited by TRF; 05-13-2008 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Animal husbandry is hard to convey!!!
    There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.~~Albert Einstein
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Many wise words are spoken in jest, but they don't compare with the number of stupid words spoken in earnest. - Sam Levenson (1911 - 1980)

Freemont Street experience on Freemont Street at the end of the strip. It only lasts for less than 10 minutes every half hour on the hour at night, but it's free, the sound is great, and it's a great place to people watch in between. There are plenty of street vendors and entertainers to while away the time. Try a fried twinkie too. I didn't lead you wrong with the cruise, so make sure to at least visit this free entertainment. Remember, I am the king of cheap vacations.

Quote Originally Posted by darterkitfox View Post
    Freemont Street experience on Freemont Street at the end of the strip. It only lasts for less than 10 minutes every half hour on the hour at night, but it's free, the sound is great, and it's a great place to people watch in between. There are plenty of street vendors and entertainers to while away the time. Try a fried twinkie too. I didn't lead you wrong with the cruise, so make sure to at least visit this free entertainment. Remember, I am the king of cheap vacations.
    That's right . . . I made you my official travel agent after doing the cruise!

Well Jake you are in luck....just checked on answers .com.....Las Vegas Zoo....they have MONKEYS!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vicbiker View Post
    Well Jake you are in luck....just checked on answers .com.....Las Vegas Zoo....they have MONKEYS!!!!!!
    No kidding . . . didn't realize they even had a zoo other than the man-killing Sigfried and Roy tigers. Maybe I'll look into the zoo thing.