vb:literal>

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Land Owner permission

Hybrid View

Default Land Owner permission

It is time to bring it to the foreground and everyone’s attention once again. Land Owner permission is needed before placing caches. I know a lot of caches in Maine get placed without land owner permission. We need to start doing it correctly or it is going to hurt the Geocaching sport here in Maine

Here is some contact information for the Arboretum in Augusta. This place is a 224 acre area with some nice walking trails. Caches are permitted by permission only. If you have a cache there and have not gotten permission to place it there then it will be removed. If you have a cache there and have not gotten permission then you need to contact them and get permission before it gets removed. If you would like to place a cache in the Arboretum then you can contact them with this information below.

Stephen Oliveri
    executive director
    PineTreeState Arboretum
    153 Hospital St.
    Augusta, ME04330
    207-621-0031
    ptsaso(at)roadrunner.com
    Blazing Troll

Rick, was there a complaint from the arboretum? I ask simply because of the specifics of your thread.

I agree with getting landowner permission, always have and always will.
    Last edited by TRF; 05-12-2008 at 11:44 AM. Reason: spelling
    There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.~~Albert Einstein
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Many wise words are spoken in jest, but they don't compare with the number of stupid words spoken in earnest. - Sam Levenson (1911 - 1980)

I asked permission from the town of Norway to place one in a new park and we ended up having to go to the selectmen's meeting and speak before them. They had no clue what caches were until we explained. Funny thing is, there are two other caches placed on town property. How was permission given for those others? Or was it?

Quote Originally Posted by darterkitfox View Post
    I asked permission from the town of Norway to place one in a new park and we ended up having to go to the selectmen's meeting and speak before them. They had no clue what caches were until we explained. Funny thing is, there are two other caches placed on town property. How was permission given for those others? Or was it?

Wouldn't the park be considered "Public Land" and fair game, or am I wrong? That is the way I understood things.

Quote Originally Posted by al'Thor View Post
    Wouldn't the park be considered "Public Land" and fair game, or am I wrong? That is the way I understood things.
    National parks are public land, but they don't allow caches as a rule. Some parks are considered multi-use, which should include caching, but unless some listing specifically mentions it, you can assume it may not be allowed.

I think it's odd people think it's ok to place one at Wal-Mart or fast food places without permission, and those are not public property.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    National parks are public land, but they don't allow caches as a rule. Some parks are considered multi-use, which should include caching, but unless some listing specifically mentions it, you can assume it may not be allowed.

I think it's odd people think it's ok to place one at Wal-Mart or fast food places without permission, and those are not public property.
    I knew about anything "national" was a big no - no and I also do not consider business parking lots to be public places (I know this from being a police officer.) It was my understanding that marked public town parks were ok as well as places like state Public boat landings / picnic areas and public revserved land would just be ok.

I would never feel comfortable leaving anything on someones private land let alone inviting others on to someones land. Getting the permission may be a pain in the rear but it will save someone a lot more pain later on.

I asked a question about this in a forum last year. I don't know how to post the link to it but it was titled Cache Placement on 10-23-07.

I have placed quite a few caches on public resevered land and on public boat landing / picnic areas. I guess I could pull them. Would be easier then trying to deal with getting permisson from the state? Any suggestions?????

Quote Originally Posted by al'Thor View Post
    That's the way I interpreted it as well . . . however folks should probably be clear as to who actually owns what . . . for example, there is a park in town where I live that is actually now owned by the College even though it is very public and in placing one of my caches near a spring I learned that while the town owns the spring the rest of the area around the spring is private property -- the actual town-owned land was rather small.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

From the Geocaching.com Guidelines:

Off-limit (Physical) Caches "By submitting a cache listing, you assure us that you have adequate permission to hide your cache in the selected location. However, if we see a cache description that mentions ignoring "No Trespassing" signs (or any other obvious issues), your listing may be immediately archived. We also assume that your cache placement complies with all applicable laws. If an obvious legal issue is present, or is brought to our attention, your listing may be immediately archived."

The Androscoggin Land Trust is another group that allows cache placement but only with permission. You have to show them on an aerial map where the container will go, or give the co-ords and let them go out and check the spot. The contact is Mike Auger mauger@androscogginandtrust.org or call him at 782-2302.

I don't subscribe to the theory that geocaching is just another use of public lands and so it wouldn't require permission. Leaving something there is not usually on the list of intended uses for a public park.
    ~*There's Tupperware in thum thar hills!*~