vb:literal>

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Land Owner permission

Quote Originally Posted by tat View Post
    As many of you know, I am also the volunteer reviewer for the state of Maine. The opinion below is my personal viewpoint and not necessarily that of Groundspeak.

Adequate permission is always required, but what is adequate permission? The guidelines are written for a worldwide activity. Adequate permission varies in different localities.

Generally, when a property has a clear contact posted, it is best to attempt to get permission. If the contact person responds favorably, (they may have additional requests which should always be met) you can place the cache. If the contact person denies the cache placement, do not even attempt to place the cache.

The contact person may not respond or there may not be a known contact person. The cache hider should obey all posted rules, such as "leave no trace", "trash in, trash out", "do not make new trails", "no hiking off trail", "stay on trail", etc.

Making Geocaching attractive to land owners helps. Be very careful when hiding a cache and treat the property better than any of the other visitors. If there is a sign "stay on trail: Do not allow your placement to create new trails, for example. Don't hesitate to shut down your cache if problems develop.

Don't forget to consider the reaction of non-cachers. No land owner wants the bomb squad called in because of suspicious activities!

If you make contact with a land manager, and develop a cache placing policy, let your local reviewer know!

So, to answer your question, I would not remove caches that are in place and have no complaints. But, it is worth the effort to attempt the formal permission process.
    Thanks for the insight. It helps to get info directly from a reviewer. I will attempt to speak with someone about my current cache placements. It will be a little wierd because the caches are already placed ("Hi, I'm asking permisson to place a cache, oh by the way it has already been placed"). Better safe then sorry though. I certainly will be a little more careful with "public" lands and will not "assume" anything for any future cache placements. We all know what they say about "assuming". Thanks again.

The Androscoggin Land Trust is another group that allows cache placement but only with permission. You have to show them on an aerial map where the container will go, or give the co-ords and let them go out and check the spot. The contact is Mike Auger mauger@androscogginandtrust.org or call him at 782-2302.

I don't subscribe to the theory that geocaching is just another use of public lands and so it wouldn't require permission. Leaving something there is not usually on the list of intended uses for a public park.
    ~*There's Tupperware in thum thar hills!*~

Today we walked a trail on Paris Utility District property with the director so that he could see where we planned to place a cache before he would grant approval. During our talking, it came to his attention that there is a cache of the Maine Counties series (Oxford) placed on their property without permission. It is located at the bottom of a roadsign near a guardrail but the road is private and not a town road. He wasn't pleased as it was located pretty close to a dangerous abandoned building and someone with an inaccurate GPS (such as mine) might lead one to think it was in the building. A few cachers have said that you don't need to get permission in a public park or some other places. I guess that is fine if you know EXACTLY who owns the property. I would highly suggest getting permission from someone whether it is placed in a state road guardrail or Wal-marts parking lot. We could have had our next cache or someone elses denied because of this incident.

I hear ya. There's one placed not far from me on private property and I am having an anxiety attack that this will mean the end of caching in our town if the corp. that owns it finds out about it, and the police have to get involved. We have permission from the town clerk but only on public property and only if it won't inconvenience any work crew or any member of the public, or lead to property destruction.
    ~*There's Tupperware in thum thar hills!*~

I know this is an old thread but I have a question that pertains. If you are going to a cache and are walking by No Trespassing signs is it safe to assume that the cache owner got permission before placing the cache? I certainly respect people's property and don't want to be somewhere I shouldn't. Any thoughts?
    KymeeJay

If it were me and I had to cross no trepassing signs then I would not trespass. Maybe a note to the cache owner and see what he had to say.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by kymeejay View Post
    I know this is an old thread but I have a question that pertains. If you are going to a cache and are walking by No Trespassing signs is it safe to assume that the cache owner got permission before placing the cache? I certainly respect people's property and don't want to be somewhere I shouldn't. Any thoughts?
    First, you should never cross onto land that is posted no trespassing to get a cache. Keep in mind, there may be another way, even a much longer way to get to the cache that does not require trespassing.

Also, some access and trails are quite narrow with posted lands on either side. In that case, "walking by" signs on either side of a public trail would not be trespassing.

When in doubt, email the cache owner!

From the guidelines:
    "However, if we see a cache description that mentions ignoring "No Trespassing" signs (or any other obvious issues), your listing may be immediately archived."
    The farmer gave permission to place the cache in the field, but the bull charges.

I also agree about asking for land owner permission I know there is a cache near the wire bridge in New Portland and its located on my father in-laws land. He knows nothing of geocaching or was asked to have a cache placed there he was asking me all kinds of questions about it and I was answering them honestly and telling him its nothing illegal about the sport but I agreed with him when he said they should have asked him because it will draw people to go on his land to get to it. I don't think he has a problem with it but its just the point he should have been asked.
    The Drinking Will Continue Until Morale Improves !!

I agree 100% that landowner permission should be asked first before placing a cache private land. The biggest issue with geocaching and cachers is that probably 95% of the cachers never ask for permission by the landowner first before placing a cache. I think the reason for this is because it would take to much work for them to find out who owns the land or they just think since there are no houses around then it is not going to bother or hurt anyone.
    Last edited by attroll; 04-14-2009 at 10:21 PM.
    Blazing Troll

I certainly appreciate your responses to my question. Thank you.
    KymeeJay