vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Geocoin Thieves!

Angry Geocoin Thieves!

Is it just me, or does it seem like a lot of coins in the Bangor area are missing? On Marsh Island alone I have found 4-5 caches that are supposed to have coins in them with NO coins. Someone is taking coins. I would hate to think a fellow cacher is a thief, but this is getting tiresome. I have opened up 6 caches in the last two weeks looking for geocoins only to find them gone with no logs or any trace. Beware coin owners, geothieves are about.

Where the hell is that thing?

The most I ever have had a coin travel is 3 caches. Then they mysteriously dissappear. Thats not entirely true. Let me rephrase that. The most I ever have had a coin travel "in the U.S.A" is 3 caches. I put a Maine coin in Australia a year ago and it is still travelling. Many of us live your frustration EH!!!!!!
    There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.~~Albert Einstein
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Many wise words are spoken in jest, but they don't compare with the number of stupid words spoken in earnest. - Sam Levenson (1911 - 1980)

I quickly lost my one and only. Debating if I should try again or not.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    The most I ever have had a coin travel is 3 caches. Then they mysteriously dissappear. Thats not entirely true. Let me rephrase that. The most I ever have had a coin travel "in the U.S.A" is 3 caches. I put a Maine coin in Australia a year ago and it is still travelling. Many of us live your frustration EH!!!!!!
    That explains your mission for your Augusta FD Pirate geocoin that I found in the Friar Tuck cache.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

I'm wondering if folks are deliberately stealing them or if it's folks who for some reason think the coins are treated the same as normal swag . . . or maybe they put them in their pocket or swag bag and forget about them . . . or maybe they really think that some day those coins will be valuable.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Ha! I have you beat! Mine went 4 caches!!! For as much as some coins cost, I prefer to hang onto mine instead of releasing them, It's almost a given that someone is going to walk off with it.
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    Ha! I have you beat! Mine went 4 caches!!! For as much as some coins cost, I prefer to hang onto mine instead of releasing them, It's almost a given that someone is going to walk off with it.
    I keep Mine too!!!!!! I have 1 out.The last person retrieved it from ROAD EASY and is waiting for a cool cache to put it in. It made it to 3 caches and 1 event!But it's still in play!!!
    Opalsns

The coins are sought after, and a few have made a good profit on ebay. Some people drill holes in them to devalue them if they are going to set them loose.

I have little faith in any trackables. I had an 18 lb. TB stolen from the first place I put it, and it was on an island! If they'll steal that, a coin has no chance.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

I didn't realize geocoin theft was that big of a problem. Yikes! I wanted to send one with a goal to go from Cali back to Maine when I'm out there next month... would I be better off using a travel bug instead?

That would be my preference,that way you are only out 4 bux instead of the cost of the coin which would probably be more.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.