Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27

Thread: TB Fraud

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Litchfield, Maine
    Posts
    3,588

    Default

    This type of stuff use to bother me. I have since learned to blow it off. The people that do this are only hurting themselves. People in the caching community know these people that do this and other things like this and they realize what they are like and that is all that matters to me. They build a name or reputation for themselves and they get stuck with that so they have to live with it.
    Blazing Troll

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Machias, Maine
    Posts
    120

    Default

    I agree with just blowing it off, but I can't stop wondering what the motivation is. Really.....are you going to be cooler because you discovered a bunch of TB's. "I'm so much cooler then you and I can prove it....just look at all the TB's i've discovered." Sounds like a lot of trouble for very little gain.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    6,058

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by al'Thor View Post
    I agree with just blowing it off, but I can't stop wondering what the motivation is. Really.....are you going to be cooler because you discovered a bunch of TB's. "I'm so much cooler then you and I can prove it....just look at all the TB's i've discovered." Sounds like a lot of trouble for very little gain.
    To some people, it is about the numbers. It makes no sense to me either. I can understand someone wanting to find as many as they can because the enjoy it, even I had dreams once of having found every Maine cache and kept my unfound Maine caches at about 80 for nearly a year. Now I think it's about 1800!

    But there is a big difference when someone gets more joy showing off their fabricated numbers than they would logging an actual TB or finding an actual cache. If someone wants to find 1/1s so they can get 50 in a day, fine. But when they log an archived cache hoping no one will notice, or log a cache they couldn't find because they were at 0 feet, or steal a TB number from a photo, they don't get much respect from me.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

    "The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Machias, Maine
    Posts
    120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    To some people, it is about the numbers. It makes no sense to me either. I can understand someone wanting to find as many as they can because the enjoy it, even I had dreams once of having found every Maine cache and kept my unfound Maine caches at about 80 for nearly a year. Now I think it's about 1800!

    But there is a big difference when someone gets more joy showing off their fabricated numbers than they would logging an actual TB or finding an actual cache. If someone wants to find 1/1s so they can get 50 in a day, fine. But when they log an archived cache hoping no one will notice, or log a cache they couldn't find because they were at 0 feet, or steal a TB number from a photo, they don't get much respect from me.
    AMEN!!!!! I too am very proud of my growing number of finds, but it is a personal satisfacition; one that I know I worked hard for.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Brewer, Maine
    Posts
    1,808

    Default

    My thoughts on the numbers are that it's like golf. You are only really playing against yourself. If you want to cheat yourself in golf, what are you getting out of the experience? Same with caching, there's no cash prize for FTF, most finds, etc. You want to cheat, who does it hurt except yourself. Why bother.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    6,058

    Default

    That's great, but if 6 people open up shops within a mile of you and start selling substandard products, it gives the whole neighborhood a bad name.

    I'd hate to see a geocaching news story where the interviewee promotes logging caches and TBs whether they really find them or not!
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

    "The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Solon, Maine
    Posts
    5,940

    Default

    We used to be concerned about "the numbers" until we took a trip south 3 years ago, caching in about 20 states. The vast majority of the caches had no purpose other than giving someone the ability to add another "find" to their bio.

    And that's why we don't "discover" coins and bugs. What's the purpose? We think that finding coins and bugs in caches is one of the most enjoyable aspects for the sport. But some people take "the numbers" too seriously.

    IMHO...

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    So. China Maine
    Posts
    1,588

    Wink Why we cache in the first place

    I've only been doing this for about 7 months and I think one's focus changes as we "mature" as cachers. Yesterday I did 15 caches and all but one involved some hiking. At 58 I enjoy the exercise and discovering all the wonderful hiking trails and public lands that are out there. I do find, however, when I'm approaching what are milestones for me that the easy ones help with the numbers. I think this is a "to each his/her own" type of game with rules and etiquette that everybody should play by. Cheating, or "computer generated cache finds" as I like to call it is an odd behavior. The number of finds is not something that you put on a job application. While I don't get the concept of logging TB's unless I actually take possession of them, I say go for it.

    Bottom line, I continue to be impressed on a daily basis with the diversity of both the caches and the folks that place them.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Unity, Maine
    Posts
    3,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    We used to be concerned about "the numbers" until we took a trip south 3 years ago, caching in about 20 states. The vast majority of the caches had no purpose other than giving someone the ability to add another "find" to their bio.

    And that's why we don't "discover" coins and bugs. What's the purpose? We think that finding coins and bugs in caches is one of the most enjoyable aspects for the sport. But some people take "the numbers" too seriously.

    IMHO...
    I remember when I first started caching and finding 100 caches seemed like a monumental task that would take me forever . . . and honestly it did take a while.

    And when I reached 500 caches I thought I had really done something . . . and then like you I started to see folks from away who were coming into Maine on vacation with 4,000, 5,000, 6,000+ caches to their name and then I realized that the whole number thing is really, truly honestly just a way to keep your own personal score as Andy mentioned . . . you can't really compare apples to apples or cachers to cachers since folks in an urban area that have caches simply for number-sakes will always have a higher cache count than folks in an area who have caches placed due to a spot's scenic vista, historical aspect, etc.

    For that reason alone I no longer get hung up on the numbers by trying to accumulate as many FTFs as I can or by keeping up with the Jones with finds, etc. For me it is just a hobby that I enjoy doing in my spare time . . . along with my other hobbies, work, renovating the house and spending quality time with my wife. I know it may be sacriligious to say this, but for me geocaching is not a way of life as some folks have stated before.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

    "Death is only one of many ways to die."

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Solon, Maine
    Posts
    5,940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    For me it is just a hobby that I enjoy doing in my spare time . . . along with my other hobbies, work, renovating the house and spending quality time with my wife. I know it may be sacriligious to say this, but for me geocaching is not a way of life as some folks have stated before.
    Well stated, Jake.

    We love to travel, and for a period, the purpose of traveling was to log geocaches. Now we've gone back to the pre-geocaching days, where traveling is to see and experience new things, and logging geocaches is just a part of it.

    On our recent trip, we were disappointed not to be able to add Morocco to our list of places we've logged caches (had to take a DNF), but the purpose of the trip to Morocco was the experience, not just adding another country.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •