vb:literal>

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Memorial Weekend Downeast

Default Memorial Weekend Downeast

We are heading downeast for the long weekend. Planning on camping and caching around Campobello Island and the Lubec area. Besides the Aefuss caches are there any "must do" caches? Any long hikes?
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Time and Tides Wait for No Cacher (one of my overall favorites but must be timed with the tide or you will be stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Team2hunt View Post
    We are heading downeast for the long weekend. Planning on camping and caching around Campobello Island and the Lubec area.
    Ohhh thanks for the warning.... must hide! HAHAHA!! j/k

Just placed 10 new caches and they are now published. The Roosevelt Campobello Park provided me with everything I needed to hide those caches. A worker from there helped me hide them last week. They are all on the Roosevelt land. I hope you enjoy them!

Thumbs up That's great Sue

Quote Originally Posted by Starzz View Post

Just placed 10 new caches and they are now published. The Roosevelt Campobello Park provided me with everything I needed to hide those caches. A worker from there helped me hide them last week. They are all on the Roosevelt land. I hope you enjoy them!
    Now I really really need to come to your island to cache.
    Happy Trails!

HIKING: There are no caches here but if you are looking for a great hike try the Bold Coast Trails in Cutler. The Quoddy Regional Land Trust manages some great trails called the Cobscook Trails. (Trails in 20 or so different coastal areas near Cobscook State Park owned by several different government agencies. The only problem is you need to but a booklet for maps, directions etc.) You can get one online at www.qrlt.org You could also get one at several shops on your way downeast. I got mine at True Value in Machias, but there is a whole list on thier website. I am currently in discussion with the Land Trust's director about permisson to place caches on the area that they own. He is going to raise the question to the committee and sponors and then let me know. I've got my finger's crossed.

CACHES: Time and Tide Wait for No Geocacher is simply amazing and I just don't say that because I adopted it this spring. Boot Head Cache is also a nice coastal cache. Most of my caches are inland, but if you find yourself in Machias for a few hours I think they are worth the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957 View Post
    Now I really really need to come to your island to cache.
    I hope to cache "The Island" in the next month or two. Thanks to Starzz it is a cachers paradise.

Boot Head Cache is very pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by Sudonim View Post
    I've heard that. Nice hiking trails there. Both times I went there is was so foggy, couldn't see a thing! I guess thats another reason to go back!

Quote Originally Posted by Sudonim View Post
    Just echoing what Andy said . . . Boot Head Cache is one of those "must do" caches that everyone should make a point to find . . . just make sure to take the extra few minutes to do the entire loop and see the vistas.

Here's my log from my find there . . . to give you an idea of what to see and expect.

---

On May 31st and June 1st I did 30 caches. Almost all of them brought me to some fantastic places with incredible scenery and awe-inspiring views . . . but this place was the best of the best. Thank you for bringing me here since I never would have ever been here if it wasn't for geocaching . . . this place rivals and surpasses Acadia National Park's trails.

4:12 p.m. My younger brother and I took the obvious trail in to the cache and found it relatively quickly. The trail we took in reminded me a lot of a hike I did near Portage, Alaska which receives as much precipitation as most rain forests and as a result it has trees covered in various types of moss -- very much like this trail to Boot Cove.

Boot Cove was a pretty nice looking beach . . . but A SPECIAL NOTE TO FUTURE GEOCACHERS take the time to do the longer route that skirts the ocean as it is worth the trip. If you geocache stricly for the numbers then by all means take the shortest route back, but if you want to see some incredible views take the longer trail.

This was without a doubt the best hike of the day with some of the best views of the rugged Maine coast I have ever seen in my entire life. Deep rocky ravines and cliffs, deep green water . . . and even a blowhole at the platform similar to Thunder Hole in Acadia (and we just happened to time it right by accident so that it was blowing out while we took a break -- in some ways it was even more impressive than Thunder Hole.)
    TNLN, SL
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by Starzz View Post

10 new caches, huh? Looks like another downeast trip is in store for me . . . hey Hiram would you consider camping downeast for Memorial Day Weekend or the 7th . . . I know your aversion to Canada, but I'm telling you that you would like . . . make that love . . . Campobello Island.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."