vb:literal>

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any positive weight loss experiences?

ive lost 20 pounds with weight watchers, watching what i eat and walking alot. i had gained quite a bit after i had stopped smoking a few years ago, and pulling back on the hiking i used to do with onestep hasnt helped. so ive been slowly working on getting back in shape, watching what i eat, not a specific diet, but more of portion size and it has been working.

What is the secret to weight loss? What diet plan works the best? The answer is almost to simple. But none of us like to hear it. Burn more calories then you consume. You'll lose weight. Burn 500 more calories a day then you take, in you'll lose 1lb a week, 52 lbs a year. This means you can eat anything you want as long as you are running on a treadmill all day long. Sucks!! Thats why we have thousands of diet plans, diet books, diet shows on T.V. everyone wants a way to lose the weight with out having to do the work.

On my bike trip I normally consumed 5000-7000 calories a day. We would literally go into food stores looking for things that contained the most calories we could find. Grandma's old fashion chocolate chip cookies I think contained 1000 calories per package. I can remember eating 3 or 4 of these a day along with the ice cream stops. We never ever pasted a ice cream stop. In 47 days coming across the country we each lost over 35 lbs a piece. Why? Because even though we were eating all those calories we were burning 8000-10,000 calories a day. Burn more then you eat you'll lose weight.

Most of us feel if we go for a walk, do a cache, or even do a short hike we should be able to stop at Dunkin Donuts for a little snack. Right. I know I can justify this in my mind. I deserve it, I've worked hard. But the truth is you would have to climb Mt. Washington to offset a Dunkin Donuts snack.

What geocaching can do for us is what everyone has already stated. It can put us on a life changing path, by making exercise something that is fun to do. Unlike an hour on a treadmill, which by the way is almost impossible even for the most dedicated, an hour long hike to a rewarding geocache will allow for exercise while having fun at the same time.

Call a friend, grabbed some water and maybe an apple, go find a easy cache and start working up from there. Before long you'll even be able to do one of Groleau's caches.

I have three children and since the last one (8 years ago) I haven't taken off the baby weight and I have gained more. this year I decided to exercise two days a week in the gym with friends and to eat healthy without feeling like I am starving myself of anything that is fun. My goal is to take a pound off and keep it off. If I keep it off for a week, I try to lose 1 more and keep it off.

I look at caching as a great bit of exercise to do with the whole family. I choose at least one cache far from the road and see where it takes us.

So far I am down 4 pounds in 8 weeks. not much but my weight isn't going up.

Quote Originally Posted by bmeserve View Post

The way I look at it...I go out for a 2-3 mile hike and I'm not home eating and then when I do get home I'm too tired to even eat haha
    Ain't it the truth!

I'm fat, and I have gained weight since I started geocaching. I heard the interview, and the guy was dieting quite a bit at the time, so I attribute it to that. Plus he's still 240, because didn't he say he was 300 pounds when he started?

I did "It's a Singe" today, a 4 climb for about a mile, huffing and puffing all the way! If I did that 3 times a week, then I'm sure I'd see results. But most geocaches just aren't like that, unless you add it on to the hike before or after you find the cache.
    ~*There's Tupperware in thum thar hills!*~

Hmmm....proven methods that I've seen work. 1. Portion control works well. 2.Just as important is eating something healthy every two hours whether you're hungry or not. Mozarella cheese stix work well between meals. 3. Water is sooooo important!!! Drink a glass upon waking and before bed, and 20 mins. before each meal. That alone isn't enough, yet makes a huge difference in total health. 4. Walk daily! A slow and short walk off-road on un-even ground will do far more for total health than walking briskly for two miles on pavement.
    I'm just nuts about geocaching!!

Thanks all. Of course I wasn't planning on doing a few 1/1s every few days but eating a dozen fried mozzarella sticks every night and figuring I'm doing myself right cuz I'm somewhat more active. I'm drinking far more water. At least a couple of liters a day. Watching what I eat including how much at mealtime, eating more frequently as Squirrelcacher says, and not eating close to bedtime anymore. I think I'm on the right track. Yesterday I did a six mile walk just for the hell of it. I probably wouldn't have done it if I hadn't started caching. I'm feeling much better and the shirts are already fitting a little looser. Thanks again, and I'll keep you posted.
    http://slimcache.blogspot.com
    SlimCache - My journey to become a healthier person through geocaching.

Well after my recent required physical I got on the bandwagon. It was required by my doctor and so forth.

Actually the words High Blood Pressure, High Cholesterol, Diabetic were more than enough to motivate me. Since March 18th I have taken off 35 pounds by following the diabetic guidelines for food. The tough part for me was that 6 ounces of protein thing.

The good news is that after a further 6 week check up my blood pressure is better, my cholesterol is good and my blood sugars are very good.

The suggestions about frequent healthy small meals/snacks (whole grains, non processed foods etc), water and exercise are all excellent suggestions.

Here's to you all seeing less of me!
    I'd really rather not cache, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion!

and stop drinking soda!
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by Gob-ler View Post
    Actually the words High Blood Pressure, High Cholesterol, Diabetic were more than enough to motivate me. Since March 18th I have taken off 35 pounds by following the diabetic guidelines for food. The tough part for me was that 6 ounces of protein thing.
    Cutting WAY back on the bread, pasta and the like will have a MAJOR effect on weight and the A1C test.

Thumbs up my story

First off, what works for one person may not work at all for another. I once weighed in at over 270LBS. My health was not good and I had to make a change. I wanted to see my son grow up, and not miss out on all of the fun stuff he was doing. I started to get outdoors more and off the couch. Have you ever noticed that there's no refrigerator outdoors? Hmm. Just being away from food, had me eating less often. First I cut out the snacking. Nothing good was ever printed on the package of a snack, and rice cakes are NOT food. I was never really a soda drinker, but I did start drinking more water, now vitamin waters. For about a year I ran and that was taking it's toll on my older joints so I stopped. Here is when geocaching came into my life, 4 1/2 years ago. Still overweight, and I still am today, I started out easy and then took on more challenging hikes. The first hikes were more like walks in the woods. I will look back and see if I can compile a bookmark, of easy walks in the woods. Now I am doing much more challenging stuff and have climbed several larger mountains and have loved to be standing on top. I am slow, very slow sometimes, but I have never given up. I have made it to the top of all of them. Thanks go to those who have been with me to make the hike a pleasure. I'm not sure if I could have done some of them alone. The next step was to eat healthier. More fish, chicken, and salads. It's amazing how good a salad can be once you add some roasted veggies. My best tip: wait 20 minutes after eating before thinking about dessert. You brain takes that much time to find out how much you have eaten. You will probally find out dessert is not needed. And don't eat anything 2 hours before bed.
    I am now trying to limit my portions, to reasonable size and still feel like I ate something. I have not removed anything from my diet, that I did not want to. I do eat much less red meat and don't miss it at all. If I have walked or hiked alot during my day I will treat myself, usually my weakness. A creamie! (soft serve ice cream)
    On a recent trip to NH, we think we walked around 15 miles during the weekend. That included caching and just parking the truck and walking.
    I am now 225LBS and can enjoy life in more ways than I ever thought. Geocaching has been one of the factors. Great friends who were along for the hikes and just my will to change something for me, were some of the others. I hope this helps. And good luck.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.