vb:literal>

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any positive weight loss experiences?

Default Any positive weight loss experiences?

I feel slightly awkward saying this but you all seem like you're really good folks and not especially judgemental so here it goes... I'm fat and I want that to change. It has to be the primary reason I decided to get into this hobby. I was never the type to go out for a walk in the woods. This is proving to be great incentive for me to just take a walk, to get active. After less than a week of caching I'm already feeling much better than I have in a while. After an ep of Geocaching Podcast pulled from archives with an interview of a guy who had lost 60 lbs I have been wondering if anyone else has any positive experience such as this or possibly some tips on how to work this into a valid workout regiment. Thanks for yer time.

Djgray1200

I don't know what you consider fat and I am not asking you to tell me how fat you are. I am a little overweight also. As long as you happy in life and have good friends then that is all that matters. You will find that the people on this web site do not judge you by your looks.

To answer you question. I have not lost weight Geocaching but then again I am not an avid cacher.
    Blazing Troll

I'm fat, and we've been geocaching for 4 1/2 years. We've cached in 26 states and 5 countries. I haven't lost any weight geocaching. Losing a significant amount of weight takes a complete lifestyle change, not just adopting a more active hobby like geocaching. I haven't been able to do that, but I wish you the best of luck.

But here are some hints I think will help, based on my experience:

Look for caches with "terrain 3" ratings. These will usually give you a challenge without killing you.

Get Delorme Topo or another topographic map on your computer. It will help you determine which hikes will be a challenge you can meet as opposed to a killer climb which will turn you against trying another hike.

Geocache with a friend or significant other. You'll be less likely to quit before finishing the hike.

Pick geocaches that look like they'll have a reward at the end, like a spectacular view. It will make the hike worthwhile.

Bring water, but not a snack.

Again, I hope you make your goal. Keep me informed as to your progress.

d’76 Guest

I am overweight also. Geocaching didnt pull off any weight for me either. My first wife and the divorce is what did it for me. I lost about 75 lbs through that.

NOt much exercise in LPM and GRC

I think that caching has helped with my overall fitness, especially in the winter. Snowshoeing through a bog instead of sitting around in the house HAS to be the better option (unless you go through the ice that is....)

Quote Originally Posted by dave1976 View Post
    I am overweight also. Geocaching didnt pull off any weight for me either. My first wife and the divorce is what did it for me. I lost about 75 lbs through that.

NOt much exercise in LPM and GRC
    Your first wife only weighed 75lbs??

I agree with much that has been said, in many cases it's not a weight loss program unless out doing the hiking ones instead of the lampost and gaurdrail caches. I however did notice a weight gain last year when I lost my jeep and gps on the same day (may their souls rest in peace) and I hit quite the caching depression after that, and I have noticed that since I started caching and hiking a few weeks ago that I've lost about 10lbs. It really depends on how much you put into it. My tip is that if you find a cache on a trail system or at a trailhead, walk the rest of the trail, don't just go there for the cache and leave (there's often more of a reward than just a cache if you keep going)
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

I quit smoking about 11 years ago and gained a lot of weight in the process. Then I managed to hurt myself pretty badly about 5 years ago and I was stuck in one position for several months then I went to rehab. and walking was described as the best overall activity I could do to regain my strength and help get my weight back down. That is when I discovered geocaching and found that it does help. Although, to be honest, I didn't lose any weight but I did feel better. Then this year I realized that having quit smoking 11 years ago and my past injury were no longer a valid excuse for being over weight I decided to eval. my life style and found what I was doing wrong and have managed to lose almost 50 lbs once I corrected those issues. Obviously, overeating was my main problem. I have addressed that with great success and no fad diet or anything else.

To make a long story short, I believe that you are on the right path. Being active, staying busy and positively changing your life style are keys to reaching your goals. IT CAN BE DONE. I did it and others too with more dramatic experiences than I have. You have come to the right place for friends and people with a common interest. Geocaching is an absolutely great and positive lifestyle change that will expose you to great people, great places and life long memories.

Hope to see you on the trails!!

Cache On!!!
    There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.~~Albert Einstein
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Many wise words are spoken in jest, but they don't compare with the number of stupid words spoken in earnest. - Sam Levenson (1911 - 1980)

A challenging feat it is for sure! I agree with others and echo the life style change as well. That is the key. Geocaching can't help but be a good addition to your overall plan. It may not be the primary reason for the weight loss, but if it helps you feel better and stay focused that it great!

For me, it has been tremendously helpful to write down what I eat and count calories. Though I knew I wasn't eating well, I was quite surprised at how much I actualy did eat when I started tracking. Counting calories also helped me to address portion size. I had completely lost site of what a portion of anything was.

I also echo Rick - being happy in life is important. Looks don't play into that - there are many, many unhappy pretty people out there. My goal is to be happy, have balance in my life, and work toward being more healthy when it comes to my eating habits. Some days, I am successful, some days I am not. But all in all I am headed in the right direction and feel great about that! I wish you the best and am happy for you that you see this site as a resource for supprt!
    ~ Beach Comber ~

djgray1200

I started geocaching for the same reason you just said. I'm overweight as well and sometimes I have to quit before I even get to an area because it's just too much for me but I always attempt them. I don't have many finds but I haven't been out much either. I wanted a reason to get out and exercise. For me I could always sit home and watch tv a lot easier then walk around the block no matter how much I WANTED to be out there walking. I could have had a partner or a buddy and all that but it didn't much matter to me. I always had the willpower to tell my friends and family no I wasn't going to go for a walk with them but yet never had the willpower to say no to that extra cookie...

then I figured out I had to find something I loved to motivate. For me it was getting out and exploring my backyards. The first time I walked on a trail that I didn't even know existed it proved to me that walking doesn't just need to be on the sidewalk so everyone can stare at you. Variety is the spice of life. I feel much more confident on hikes because I can stop and take a break and let my body catch up without the stares of people that may or may not be thinking what my mind tells me they are thinking or I can slow my pace or pick it up at intervals which helps out more then just steady walking. It's natures way.

But as far as loosing weight doing just geocaching....probably not?? But it's definitely the right step in line for starting the process. Just remember you didn't gain over night so you're not going to loose overnight.

The way I look at it...I go out for a 2-3 mile hike and I'm not home eating and then when I do get home I'm too tired to even eat haha

Good luck! Hope to see you around neighbor!

I'm one of the THICK people too! And I'm full of artheritis in my back and hips. I just promised my Doctor that I 'd lose more weight before my next visit. I think Geocaching helps if your like me, someone that didn't move much this winter. Now I'm out and about again. I feel better. Hope the weight comes down, But like all these fine caching folk say, It's a diet and lifestyle change, But the caching has got to help in someway. Great idea for a thread though. Maybe a " HOW"S YOUR DIET AND EXCERSIE PLAN GOING" thread. It could be insentive for alot of folk. Let's get through this weekend first, then group diet. Recipes, Walks, Caching trips, stuff like that.
    Opalsns