Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 63

Thread: kid friendly?

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Default kid friendly?

    As we head out caching we have found that the caches are getting few between for the kids to enjoy. As I pull into a guardrail I hear one of our kids ask "is this a kid one? I want a kid one!". I enjoy doing all caches, for the most part they are atleast unique but what about some that are for the kids to enjoy? Now i have be thinking of placing some new caches that are really out there for the kids, maybe some large caches, because i know how excited they get looking through the swag. So how about creating a kid friendly type challenge for placing some caches they will enjoy.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Solon, Maine
    Posts
    5,940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hide_from_the_kids View Post
    As we head out caching we have found that the caches are getting few between for the kids to enjoy. As I pull into a guardrail I hear one of our kids ask "is this a kid one? I want a kid one!". I enjoy doing all caches, for the most part they are atleast unique but what about some that are for the kids to enjoy? Now i have be thinking of placing some new caches that are really out there for the kids, maybe some large caches, because i know how excited they get looking through the swag. So how about creating a kid friendly type challenge for placing some caches they will enjoy.
    Sheesh! "Kid friendly"? Even some of us "big kids" enjoy pawing through a box of swag! (It's even getting hard to find a container big enough to get a TB tag into!)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Unity, Maine
    Posts
    3,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Sheesh! "Kid friendly"? Even some of us "big kids" enjoy pawing through a box of swag! (It's even getting hard to find a container big enough to get a TB tag into!)
    HehHeh . . . I have to admit . . . I still look in them as well because you never know what you might find. Every once in a blue moon I find something that strikes my fancy.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

    "Death is only one of many ways to die."

  4. #4

    Default

    we can even get the big kids included. whats your favorite type of swag?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Solon, Maine
    Posts
    5,940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hide_from_the_kids View Post
    we can even get the big kids included. whats your favorite type of swag?
    Unscratched lottery tickets! LOL!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Brunswick, ME
    Posts
    64

    Default

    My son made me promise no micros the last time we were out caching and it was really hard because we were in Lewiston. I found enough that weren't micros but I had to drive by some micros. It was his day so I did it.

    I would love to get some ideas for placing more kids friendly caches. The kids don't neccessarily want something that is too easy to find but the really big caches can be hard to hide. They have a high muggle detection level.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Solon, Maine
    Posts
    5,940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by balinda View Post
    I would love to get some ideas for placing more kids friendly caches. The kids don't neccessarily want something that is too easy to find but the really big caches can be hard to hide. They have a high muggle detection level.
    Caches don't have to be hard to find. Usually, even little kids can find a cache hidden under a big pile of sticks. Just find a place where there won;t be any muggles...

    I think the hardest type of kid friendly location RULOST2? and I have encountered is the cache at the covered bridge. There are usually so many rocks a cache could be behind... It really give the kids a workout.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Unity, Maine
    Posts
    3,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by balinda View Post
    . . . The kids don't neccessarily want something that is too easy to find but the really big caches can be hard to hide. They have a high muggle detection level.
    For some caches that are larger than micros and still quite challenging (in fact some would say challenging enough to push you over the edge challenging) check out Brdad's Ol' 470 and Battleship caches in the Bangor area.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

    "Death is only one of many ways to die."

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    ME
    Posts
    3,517

    Default

    It is my hope to keep the caches at Hirundo, big and little kid friendly. BUT the black flies and mosquitos need to go first.......they are NOT friendly (as recent finders have noted)!

    Wait until the bugs are gone and these caches, for the most part, will be containers which can contain swag. The first one is a Letterbox hybrid so there is an opportunity to teach kids about letterboxing too. The goal is to also put some out for finding in the winter on snowshoes this winter (no bugs then!).

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    6,058

    Default

    I agree, even though I don't often take anything from a cache besides sig items, the anticipation of what others have left in caches is great. It makes me feel good about the game when you find a cache full of stuff that someone else may enjoy, especially kids.

    To me, kid friendly would mean more than it's safe - if you can consider any guardrail or electrified lamp post safe. If it was up to me to be what defined kid friendly, it would probably be up to .75 mile round trip of relatively safe terrain (and away from traffic and electrical wires) and a mid to large size container, and fun.

    Lee and I took my honorary niece and nephew to a few caches in the Trenton area a few weeks ago. We were pleased to see some full size containers and uniquely hidden caches which were easy enough for the kids. We found caches by Ems Daniel, parmachenee, hardwareman, and gilleygirl and the GeoKids. kudos to them for hiding caches suitable and enjoyable for kids.

    Lee's new cache is kid friendly as well, was designed to be fun, and takes long enough so you're not taking more time getting the kids in and out of the car than it does to log the cache. And maybe little kids might spot stage 3 faster than the big kids?
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

    "The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •