vb:literal>

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: kid friendly?

Quote Originally Posted by kayaking loon View Post
    I'm one of the big kids. I like BIG caches too and I love to look through everything. I especially like signature items or something that fits the "locale" like finding a moose "something" in a cache at a moose bog. Most of mine are at least big enough to trade. Are you coming to Eustis for the September event? I think the kids would be happy here, woods and swag.
    THAT WOULD DEPEND ON SCHEDULES. SCHOOL IS BACK IN AT THAT POINT WHICH MAKES FOR A LONG WEEK AND I ALREADY TOOK MY VACATION.

Talking

I wonder if the lack of LARGE caches is due to the lack of LARGE watertight containers. I have seen a few large containers that are those 5 gallon buckets which are ok, but most people dont seem to know how to re-seal them the right way. I have seen a few very wet caches because of this. I have one LARGE container that is a LARGE hard plastic 25MM Ammo/mortar round container for my MOOSE COUNTRY CACHE. It seals like a regular ammo can. If more of these were available I think more large caches might pop up. But unless I could find a good large container I would stick to the 50. cal cans as they can hold a good amount.

Where the hell is that thing?

Quote Originally Posted by hide_from_the_kids View Post
    All the caches mentioned here are nice caches. Some we have done and some are on our list to do. When we go on a run we try to have a mix of caches to do for the whole family. By doing this we end up with maybe two or three on our list on a route that are big enough for trading. Its fun for me but the kids lose interest quickly after those few caches are done. It usually looks like this: micro, micro, small, micro, micro, regular, small, micro, micro, micro, micro, small, micro. Like I said I enjoy all caches I just wish there were more large ones for the kids. Areas are saturated with micros and small caches it makes it hard to do a route to keep the kids happy without going a hundred miles round trip.

CANAAN, MAINE 04924

Quote Originally Posted by Opalsns View Post
    CANAAN, MAINE 04924

Canaan,,hmm, Canaan,,,,,,,hmmmmmmm,,,,seems I've heard of that mentioned before. Are there any caches there?
    There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.~~Albert Einstein
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Many wise words are spoken in jest, but they don't compare with the number of stupid words spoken in earnest. - Sam Levenson (1911 - 1980)

Quote Originally Posted by Opalsns View Post
    CANAAN, MAINE 04924

in some cases as i pass through i grab a cache here and there when we head that way we will be sure to do some. we would love to see more large ones placed, not just in your area but across the state. if some one wants to help start a series for the kids i can get the five gallon buckets.

You can usually get the extra large ammo boxes at the army surplus stores for... hmmm, $10 more or less, IIRC.

I think people hide the micros as opposed to large because the containers cost less, often free, and it takes much less imagination to hide one than a large container (Don't take that wrong - there are plenty of micros hidden with much imagination). When hiding something larger than the standard ammo boxes, it takes a fair amount of effort to choose a location that won't get easily muggled.

I love to see extra effort involved in a cache regardless of size.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

I actually looked up Canaan as a possibility for this weekends caching trip but after reading all the logs, they seem a little to easy to find. Sorry. Unfortunately I couldn't figure out that supposedly simple puzzle cache with the splats so had to rule that one out to.

Quote Originally Posted by darterkitfox View Post
    I actually looked up Canaan as a possibility for this weekends caching trip but after reading all the logs, they seem a little to easy to find. Sorry. Unfortunately I couldn't figure out that supposedly simple puzzle cache with the splats so had to rule that one out to.

We've never had a complaint and all the logs say they were GREAT CACHES!!!!!!!
    Laughing Terry's SPLAT is one of his EASIEST puzzles to figure out ????
    Are you SURE the Canaan Caches are too EASY for you ?????????
    I think you forgot about having FUN with it.!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Opalsns

Red face Large Caches

Quote Originally Posted by hide_from_the_kids View Post
    in some cases as i pass through i grab a cache here and there when we head that way we will be sure to do some. we would love to see more large ones placed, not just in your area but across the state. if some one wants to help start a series for the kids i can get the five gallon buckets.

My OnRoadToMyersBeach cache is a 5 gallon, regular cover, and I've never had any problems with it leaking. It did get "kid-muggled" so I had to move it closer to the house. And you can buy water-tight covers for them at about $8.50. Loose Moose, which isn't mine, is also a 5 gallon, no leaks but not much in it when I was there. Size doen't guarantee there'll be anything in it! I also have a 50 cal. ammo and that works good as does big Tupperware. Keeping a kid friendly cache stocked costs money, especially when kids take the "good" toys and leave a marble. So I just have the one where I expect that to happen.
    "There is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats". Wind In the Willows

Quote Originally Posted by kayaking loon View Post
    My OnRoadToMyersBeach cache is a 5 gallon, regular cover, and I've never had any problems with it leaking. It did get "kid-muggled" so I had to move it closer to the house. And you can buy water-tight covers for them at about $8.50. Loose Moose, which isn't mine, is also a 5 gallon, no leaks but not much in it when I was there. Size doen't guarantee there'll be anything in it! I also have a 50 cal. ammo and that works good as does big Tupperware. Keeping a kid friendly cache stocked costs money, especially when kids take the "good" toys and leave a marble. So I just have the one where I expect that to happen.
    I agree with you on the SWAP issue. I've started buying stuff at the dollar store. I leave a pack of pencils or crayons or things like that. I break up the packs of squirt guns and bubbles, but I leave the whole dollar bag of army men or cowboys etc. I take all the loose marbles, plastic horses and the like out and put them in a baggie and when I come across an empty cache, I leave the baggie of loose things.
    Opalsns