vb:literal>

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Delorme PN-20

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    What is that, something in between a PN-20 and a PN-40?
    It's in a green casing and I guess it doesn't have the compass feature. $100.00 less than the 40
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Sheesh! You like it better than your Garmin 60CSX???
    Ha ha! Actually, I like the 60CSX very much! And so does Charron! But I use my '40 and she uses the '60 and we race to the caches! I don't always win. They are very comparable.
    Wandering with a purpose!

Quote Originally Posted by parmachenee View Post
    Ha ha! Actually, I like the 60CSX very much! And so does Charron! But I use my '40 and she uses the '60 and we race to the caches! I don't always win. They are very comparable.
    I know how you feel! RULost2? and I race to the caches as well. I use the 60CSX and she uses common sense. I don't always win, either.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    I know how you feel! RULost2? and I race to the caches as well. I use the 60CSX and she uses common sense. I don't always win, either.
    LOL, Ben and I do that too! I wander around with the Garmin, checking coords and re-reading the cache descriptions while Ben and the dog just wander around. I've only beaten them to a find once.

With so much negative, I just wanted to post a positive. I've used DeLorme XMap for a decade, and a Garmin 60CSx for almost 4yrs. About a month ago I finally jumped on the PN-40 bandwagon. After a couple days I had the same issue that many have had where it wouldn't boot off any internal power, only external. Talked to tech support where it was a known issue, got the back plastic replaced (no charge), and it's been running great since. I think there were quite a lot manufactured with a defective back casing for a bit.

As for using the PN-40, well, the trusty 60CSx only came on the couple days the PN-40 was in the UPS truck. I really, really, like this GPS. I find the geocaching features (with the latest 2.5 RTM firmware, GSAK, and Cache Register) to be invaluable for both geocaching and benchmarking. I only wish it could hold more than 1000 at a time! I don't even carry my PocketPC with CacheMate any more. Having aerial photography of everywhere I go (bought a 32GB SDHC card) is even more amazing. I think if someone has the patience to get it to work, they would be very happy with this GPS and it's unique features. The DeLorme forums are full of great folks willing to help and offer suggestions too.

That's the end of my sales pitch. :-P I don't work for DeLorme. I just wanted to offer encouragement to those who've had a bad experience. I'd recommend trying again to talk to someone in customer service. I've found them to be very helpful to and supportive of their customers. I also really enjoy seeing a local Maine company be successful.

Oh, and yes, I would still heartily recommend a 60CSx to anyone that didn't care for aerial photography. Garmin also stands behind their products and has good tech support. When mine was 3yrs old (beyond warranty) it developed a map layering issue that firmware updates could not resolve. For $100 they promised to repair or replace it with a factory refurb. I took them up on the offer, they couldn't repair it, and I got a new looking refurb a few days later that has been running great for almost a year. I caution that the Garmin maps get quite expensive however if you want routing, topo, and nautical maps. DeLorme has much better maps for less for the PN-40 with their $30/yr subscription/all-you-can-download-buffett. However, a number of people are making good, free topo maps for Garmins that can be downloaded at http://www.gpsfiledepot.com, none of them offer routing though.

Default I might jump into the water again, someday

Quote Originally Posted by aaronpriest View Post
    With so much negative, I just wanted to post a positive. I've used DeLorme XMap for a decade, and a Garmin 60CSx for almost 4yrs. About a month ago I finally jumped on the PN-40 bandwagon. After a couple days I had the same issue that many have had where it wouldn't boot off any internal power, only external. Talked to tech support where it was a known issue, got the back plastic replaced (no charge), and it's been running great since. I think there were quite a lot manufactured with a defective back casing for a bit.

I probably gave up too soon. I tried tech support, but I think that maybe they hadn't pinpointed the issue yet. I am strongly thinking about replacing my existing PN-20 I've thought that I might wait a few more months just to see if they work the bugs out. Until then, Go Garmin!
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

Default Issues

I have Garmins. I had a compass issue with my 60csx, Garmin replaced it. My Vista hcx just stopped booting up one day, 18 months after I bought it, and Garmin replaced it. One of our labs stepped on the touch screen of my Oregon, clearly not a warranty deal and Garmin swapped me a new one for $150.00. And no, there was no mention of what I do for a living!

But keeping that in mind, if Delorme doesn't make Robert whole, file a consumer complaint at the Attorney General's office. Delorme will have to answer it and they won't want the "demerit" that becomes part of a companies record if the dispute is not resolved. This is a last resort but usually very helpful....and you don't need a silver tongued attorney to get the job done!
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Aside from the problems (which I would hope will get straightened out soon), I saw a PN-40 at Geowoodstock and like the info, but thought the screen was too small. I use a 60CSx now and like the bigger screen. Any feedback on using the small screen?

I went to Delorme today and they weren't very friendly or helpful. Since you all seem to love the GPS to death, if anyone needs a second one, $150 will get you mine plus the accessory kit that I also bought. Hardly used.

Quote Originally Posted by darterkitfox View Post
    I went to Delorme today and they weren't very friendly or helpful.
    I had that experience as well. Had a problem with Street Atlas, so went to Delorme with my laptop. Went through the agony of "triage" with the "assistants" in the shop, and they finally called down a real tech support guy. He couldn't resolve the problem, either.

As we were standing there staring at the screen, I figure out the problem on my own, closed the laptop and left. I probably won't go back...