vb:literal>

Thread: Last Chance for Relay For Life Event

Default Last Chance for Relay For Life Event

Hello fellow geocachers.....

Do you know someone who has been affected by cancer? I'll bet you do. This coming Friday/Saturday, June 13 and 14, is the Relay For Life event in Ellsworth which raises money for cancer research and the many programs that the American Cancer Society provides for cancer patients. There are several geocachers in Maine who are currently battling cancer and many more who are cancer survivors. I've entered a Maine geocachers team in the Ellsworth Relay and it's not too late to become part of that team or to simply donate an amount to the geocaching team's efforts. Please go to the following site if you want to become involved. Thanks to all of you who do....
    EMSDanel

http://relay.acsevents.org/site/TR/R...nzeze1.app313b

While collecting money for the relay for life some one asked me if I was doing this because I had been affected by cancer. The question kind of stop me in my tracks. How could anyone live in this world and not be affected by cancer in some way or another? That night as I tried to go to sleep all the people I've known in my life time who are living with cancer, survived cancer, or have died from cancer play like a movie in my head. The number is almost unbelievable

My dad used to stop and visit a friend of his every weekend on our way home from the dump. I was only seven or eight, but I can remember this man sitting in a chair, getting some sun, whenever we would stop by. Always, he would be smoking and his fingers on the hand that held the cigarette were all yellow. One day on our way home we didn't stop. When I asked why, dad said Harry died he had cancer. I can close my eyes and see Harry like it was yesterday, fifty two years later.

Harry was the first person on our road to died from cancer, but in the next few years every house on that road would lose someone to cancer. By the time I graduated from high school I had lost Uncles, Aunts, cousins and friends to cancer, All of which have made a lasting impression on me and I think, an overwhelming fear, that tends to make me live for today.

Today I have a "big sister" who has fought bone cancer now for over forty years and continues to win. I have a sister-in -law and a brother-in -law who are cancer survivors, and many friends that fight this battle every day. So yes I have been affected by cancer.

Cheryl and I will be walking Friday night with the rest of the geocaching group. If you can't come walk with us make sure to send a donation. Cause I know you have been affected by cancer. We all have.

Amen Vic! Get those donations in - this is our first year....for the Relay. It will be a great one - but everyone be thinking about next year too!

As I walk, I would be happy to share the stories of my first years in nursing and the Chemo we used to give back then. Yes, 39 years ago! Many stories of times so different in prognosis, treatment and even the hope given.

We are blessed with the research and changes the American Cancer Society has facilitated and funded. Look around, as Vic said - it has touched us all.

Hope to see a bunch of you either Friday or Saturday.

Default What I learned.

Well...I learned that if you want to attend a fund raising event that is successful, well run, while at the same time being fun, then EMSDanel is the man for the job. But that's not it.

I also learned that if you want to spend some quality time with someone who has a overwhelming compassion for his fellow man, then EMSDanel is your man. But that's not it either.

What I really learned this weekend was that if you need someone to do something as simple as to turn off the lights. Them EMSDanel is not, and I repeat, is not the man for the job. Seems that if you lock the door to the building that holds the switch for the lights on the athletic field, and don't have the key, it's very hard to turn them off. So in this time of energy shortage's we spent a very sunny Saturday morning with thousands of watts of light shining down on us.

Default Turn off the lights?

Was this before or after I asked Vic to turn off the lights as I climbed into my sleeping bag for a quick nap?

What a time! I did this event in Nova Scotia and now in Ellsworth. I e-mailed my family last night when I got home and told them about all the neat little things they do at the Ellsworth event. It's well run (yeah, Dan) and an inspiration.

I'm proud of Dan and all my fellow cachers that participated and donated. NEXT year I think we can be a Bronze Team (raise a certain amount of money) for Cancer Research. I benifited from early detection of breast cancer and had a very easy road to recovery. That wouldn't have happened years ago. My chances of it reoccuring are the same as a woman who never had cancer. They just watch me closer. I consider that a blessing.

Once again, a big Thanks... and I hope to post some pictures, if I can figure out how to do it!

This was a very meaninful experience. I was honored to spend time with our small but energized group. Walked laps, shared pizza, cried, rejoiced and throughly enjoyed Friday evening and Saturday morning together.

It was wonderful when Mainiac1957 and Quilting Mom and Mike could join us on Friday night for the Survivors and Caregivers Lap. Cache Maine and CacheMaine1's Mom and Dad came too!

Thanks to everyone for their support! I echo Karen's hope that we can do some real advance planning this year and become a major team at this event for 2009!

Cheryl (Chercacher) is one of our newest members. No longer willing to just tag along in my foot steps, she has been logging her own journey. Kinda like when Stef decided to separate herself from Hiram. Hopefully not for the same reasons.