Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: Recycling issue

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    1,972

    Exclamation Recycling issue

    Since I have been camping alot. I have brought home several (5) empty, small propane containers. I thought they would be easliy recycled, but I might be wrong.

    After calling the "biggest" propane provider in the state of Maine. I was politely told, " you are suppose to leave them beside the fire pit when you leave". I said I would rather attempt to recycle them.
    " Well for 10.00 we will dispose of all 5 for you ". Dispose. You mean... you will throw them away. Needless to say I still have them.

    Does anyone know where or who I can contact to recycle them? They are not big enough to take to the scrap yard for metal recycling.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    6,059

    Default

    we have a guy up here who, for a price, removes construction materials/cleans out houses etc., then separates them and takes it to scrap yards to make a buck. But, if you have something he can sell for scrap he will let you drop it of for free. Maybe if you look for someone in your area that collects junk and cleans out houses he will take them.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

    "The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    abbot me
    Posts
    754

    Default

    Blaine and I started our bike trip using our propane stoves, thinking we were doing a good thing environmentally.....wrong....people who saw us using our stoves would always say...."What are you going to do with the empties. Hope you're not leaving them in the trash barrels or in the dumpsters." Well....duh...we hadn't really thought about that. So had the girls ship out our MSR's. They have refillable containers that use Coleman fuel, gasoline, kerosene, even diesel fuel. This was met with great approval from our fellow bikers and campers. In truth the amount of fuel that is spilled from filling these containers is probably far worse for the environment then non recyclable containers. The really environmental conscious bikers were using those stoves that burn grass, sticks, pine cones, etc,. They have little blower fans that run off battery power. There claim to being the best.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    3,961

    Default

    I don't think the campground owners of the places we go to wouldn't really like it if we left our trash laying around the fire pit when we left....

    but those lil propane cylinders are also refillable, you can buy a special adapter (from beans, or cabela's) and fill the tanks using a larger tank from a grill.

    but i have not yet found a place that wants to take those around here...
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Auburn, Maine
    Posts
    318

    Default

    T2H, if you still have them next May, you can leave them outside my house during Community cleanup week. I always put my stuff out a couple of days early to give scavengers time to go through and pick out the re-sellables. They'd put those together with all the other scrap metal they're picking up and make some cash from it.
    ~*There's Tupperware in thum thar hills!*~

  6. #6

    Default

    I received an email a couple weeks ago from Coleman.com
    Here is a link to their new "Green Key" tool they are coming out with. It should be in the stores this month. I tried getting on their website to go to the actual page but their search function on their site is temporaily out of order at the moment.
    Supposedly every propane cylinder sold after June 8th is supposed to come with this green key tool and make your cylinders recyclable. I asked at my local recyling center about taking these and they told me that they need to be brought to a HAZ MAT scheduled recyling day. They were not familiar with this new green key tool by coleman. The next one scheduled where I live is not until October. It sounds as if Coleman is trying to educate recylcing centers.
    Anyways this is a quick run down on the new tool. The email I had received had more information in it but maybe once the site is back up and running you can type in Green Key Tool and it will bring you to the other link that was sent to me. Coleman makes it sound as if once you completely empty your cylinder with this tool that the cylinder can then be reclycled as scrap metal...

    We'll see.
    "It may be that your soul purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others" ~Steven Wright~
    I'm in my own little Lat/Lon

    “Danse avec les Arbres”

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    3,961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Foxgloves View Post
    I received an email a couple weeks ago from Coleman.com
    Here is a link to their new "Green Key" tool they are coming out with. It should be in the stores this month. I tried getting on their website to go to the actual page but their search function on their site is temporaily out of order at the moment.
    Supposedly every propane cylinder sold after June 8th is supposed to come with this green key tool and make your cylinders recyclable. I asked at my local recyling center about taking these and they told me that they need to be brought to a HAZ MAT scheduled recyling day. They were not familiar with this new green key tool by coleman. The next one scheduled where I live is not until October. It sounds as if Coleman is trying to educate recylcing centers.
    Anyways this is a quick run down on the new tool. The email I had received had more information in it but maybe once the site is back up and running you can type in Green Key Tool and it will bring you to the other link that was sent to me. Coleman makes it sound as if once you completely empty your cylinder with this tool that the cylinder can then be reclycled as scrap metal...

    We'll see.
    That's similar to the way I have to recycle old tanks of refrigerant, they won't take them if they're empty, but if they are cut in half (to prove they're empty) they'll take them for recycling. So as long as that filling schrader is taken out of the top of the tank, the recycling guys have no reason to not take them.
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Solon, Maine
    Posts
    5,940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    That's similar to the way I have to recycle old tanks of refrigerant, they won't take them if they're empty, but if they are cut in half (to prove they're empty) they'll take them for recycling. So as long as that filling schrader is taken out of the top of the tank, the recycling guys have no reason to not take them.
    Sheesh! You can put a couple of bullet holes in them and then take them to the recycling center, too! LOL! (As long as they can be sure they're empty of propane...)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    3,961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Sheesh! You can put a couple of bullet holes in them and then take them to the recycling center, too! LOL! (As long as they can be sure they're empty of propane...)
    nah, that's more fun to do when they're full...
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Solon, Maine
    Posts
    5,940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Foxgloves View Post
    I received an email a couple weeks ago from Coleman.com
    Here [FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkred]is a link to their new "Green Key" tool they are coming out with. It should be in the stores this month.
    This is good. I used to supervise a transfer station, and metal recyclers told me that they don't usually worry if there's one of these small tanks in the metal when they crush it. Too small to bother anything if it goes BOOM. But the 29 pound tanks are another thing...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •