vb:literal>

Thread: What is a number run?

Default What is a number run?

Seems somewhat self explanatory to me but wondered what you all think the definitition is. It seems that the term is looked at somewhat derisively. It seems as though number runs are made up simply of pngs and easier caches where many can be crammed into one day. I wondered if what I did today falls into this category. I lined up 6 caches in Bradbury and made a hike out of it. A healthy hike that I was trying to reap healthful benefits from. What's everyone's take?
    http://slimcache.blogspot.com
    SlimCache - My journey to become a healthier person through geocaching.

Default we all have a number.....

A numbers run for the Team would be 35 - 40 caches. Yes mostly park n grabs and short hikes. Some would say that it would be less, and some would say more. If you want to call the hike you did today, a numbers run. Then go ahead and congrats!

Cache run!
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

I would say that any number you go for is a numbers run. I have done longer ones and I have had days when I went for a run and only did a couple caches. It all depends on what your goal was. MNine is usually to get out and see where I can go and to enjoy the joruney and if I find a cache or two on the way than great. But then I do not cache for cacheing or even that I really care much for what I find in a box but the treasures that I find on the way to the point and the freindships that I have found on the way. I do not remember much of the caches that I have found other than the great places I have been all the people I have met and there have been some I have done 2 or 3 times before I even logged the cache.

I also think that with the price of gas as it is today the numbers runs will be more prevelant too. I don't see going out 50 miles or so just for a cache or two anymore unless of course it is a great all day hike as well.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    I also think that with the price of gas as it is today the numbers runs will be more prevelant too. I don't see going out 50 miles or so just for a cache or two anymore unless of course it is a great all day hike as well.
    I'm trying to figure out how to do a number run on my bike. I'm thinking 11 caches in three days will be good enough for me.
    I've never been much of a numbers girl, but I do have over 700 caches. I love the caches that have some kind of a challenge; view, hike, bike, kayak, etc. One cache find with a bunch of friends is more important than the numbers.

Default But remember Karen...

Quote Originally Posted by Kaching Karen View Post
    I'm trying to figure out how to do a number run on my bike. I'm thinking 11 caches in three days will be good enough for me.
    I've never been much of a numbers girl, but I do have over 700 caches. I love the caches that have some kind of a challenge; view, hike, bike, kayak, etc. One cache find with a bunch of friends is more important than the numbers.
    You were dragged kicking and screaming to a more than a few of those. Like when you were forced to do a puppy. If it wasn't for ALL those you'd only have....say 50 caches, right?
    Happy Trails!

Default Numbers Run

I find that my focus has changed from when I started caching less than 8 months ago. I've had some numbers run which for me was 20 caches or so but find that with almost 700 caches I either have to travel 50 miles or so to do a numbers run or alternatively just "clean-up" the multi's and 3's and 4's that ten to fall to the bottom of the list if you're paying too much attention to numbers. Lately, I've been doing the hill top caches and the multi's and only getting 3 or 4 a day but I now have a preference for these type of caches. The cachers in the Unity area have put out a wonderful bunch of multi's and caches requiring decent hikes and if you do 6 or 7 of these in one day, you will have had a workout. For those of us that are "AARP eligible" these are the caches that will help keep us healthy and fit. So I have changed from a "get those numbers" type of cacher to one that likes to see a red checkmark on every cache that's located within 40 miles of our home! I suppose when I approach 1000 I'll be tempted to go to New Hampshire for a pile but in the meantime I'll save gas and just drive to the outer perimeter of my "not found" zone.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Thanks very much everyone. It's interesting to hear everyone's perspective. Seems Dubord and I are pretty much on the same page. I'm still quite a few years from my AARP card but find the fitness and activity to be parmount for me too.
    http://slimcache.blogspot.com
    SlimCache - My journey to become a healthier person through geocaching.