vb:literal>

Thread: Paperless Caching Question

Default Paperless Caching Question

I purchased a Palm Pilot Z22 for the express purpose of paperless caching. The unit only lasted a week or so, then it stopped working (I couldn't get the unit to regiester when I tapped the screen with the stylus). I returned it to the online auction site from which I bought it (ubid.com) and got a replace. This time, I can't get the unit to hold a charge.

I'm getting ready to take this thing to the lake and use it for a skipping stone (don't worry, I won't, not enviromentally friendly ).

My question is, what is a good and reliable PDA to use, and one that is fairly inexpensive? I've got two weeks of vacation comine up end of July/first of August and I want to take two or three days to do some serious geocaching, and I'd prefer to do it without printing out a lot of info sheets.

I bought my Palm TX a couple of years ago and love it. I got a hard case for it and it's held up being dropped in the woods, jammed in a backpack, etc. It also has wifi and bluetooth so I can sit in VIP parking lots and log cache finds.

Quote Originally Posted by Sudonim View Post
    I bought my Palm TX a couple of years ago and love it. I got a hard case for it and it's held up being dropped in the woods, jammed in a backpack, etc. It also has wifi and bluetooth so I can sit in VIP parking lots and log cache finds.
    Same here . . . love the Palm TX . . . it's more expensive than some units, but I also use it frequently for work . . . and like Andy I have the hard case which I got from Hiram who was going to simply give me it until I insisted on paying him . . . I think I paid him off in pizza or something like that!
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by NativeMainer View Post
    My question is, what is a good and reliable PDA to use, and one that is fairly inexpensive?
    Sheesh! Any PDA that keeps working is a "good and reliable PDA to use"! LOL!

I've said this before, but I'll repeat it due to the question. Any Palm OS PDA will run Cachemate. A higher end model with lots of memory only allows you to store more cache data.

I'm not familiar with the Palm model mentioned, but we use a Palm Tungsten E2 and love it. (They're going for about $100 right now on eBay)

We recently won a Palm PDA V on Ebay with charger and software for less than $10. They have tons of them for sale all the time... trick is to nab it at the right time to get a great deal.

Years ago I got a Palm m505. Used it for a few things but never really used it much. It had an expansion slot for an SD card. My son talked me into trying the paperless thing - a card on sale and I carry a ton of caches with me wherever I go.

Got my case (hard top & bottom / rubber sides) at Marden's for less than $4.00. It has survived great things.

Ebay does have tons. Also - watch Craigslist or maybe even Uncle Henry's.

Default hard case....

My only advice is to get a hard case and paint it a bright yellow color. That way when you drop it, in the snow, you can find it quickly. Thanks to a friendly cacher I won't ever lose it again.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Team2hunt View Post
    My only advice is to get a hard case and paint it a bright yellow color. That way when you drop it, in the snow, you can find it quickly. Thanks to a friendly cacher I won't ever lose it again.
    It helped you remembered where you might have lost it! That's what friends are for..........

we use the z22 and have had no real problems. it blacked out on me once then we reset it and it worked fine. yet we are still getting to know it. it is user friendly.