vb:literal>

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: RE: Outdoor wood boilers

Default RE: Outdoor wood boilers

Anyone have any experience with outdoor wood boilers . . . good, bad, indifferent?
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

I know that every time I drive by them, I'm glad they aren't next door!
    I don't know if they make clean burning ones, but I've seen plenty that don't.

the ones that you see burning nastily are the ones where people chuck in the waterlogged wood with moss still growin on em... I know of some people that burn seasoned dry wood in there's and you wouldn't even know they were next door.
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    Anyone have any experience with outdoor wood boilers . . . good, bad, indifferent?
    The biggest complaint I've heard is that they take lots of wood. On the pro side, they will burn anything, from tires to water soaked clothes. The cost seems to be prohibitive, lots of initial outlay for a heating system that has no longer a life than a wood stove or an oil burner.
    There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.~~Albert Einstein
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Many wise words are spoken in jest, but they don't compare with the number of stupid words spoken in earnest. - Sam Levenson (1911 - 1980)

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    On the pro side, they will burn anything, from tires to water soaked clothes.
    heh... hence the reason why most people complain about them....
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

The worst thing about outside wood boilers is getting the wife to put wood in them. If you are going to have to be the one putting in the wood, then by all means get in inside boiler.

I've been looking really hard at pellet stoves. If I use the same amount of oil at work as last year, at the current pellet prices, the fuel cost would be exactly 1/3 of oil! Problem...the commercial sized pellet stoves won't be in stock until around Dec/Jan.
    We are also getting one for the house, that's available this summer. If you are military, you can get a 10% off hardwood pellets at Home Depot or Lowe's, about $205 per ton.

We only have wood stove for heating the house in the winter.When the oil prices went up during Katrina, so did the price of wood. Price gouging happens because people are greedy and take advantage of situations. Luckly we have 15 acres to harvest from and a friend that delivers tree length to us for 105.00 a cord. Believe it or not, Those pellets and stoves are going to get price gouged too!!! If I were you, I'd get a couple of palets of those pellets way before winter.Oh and if the electricity goes out and you don't have a generator, Those pellet stoves are Useless!!!!
    Opalsns

Quote Originally Posted by Sudonim View Post
    the commercial sized pellet stoves won't be in stock until around Dec/Jan.
    Are commercial sized pellets produced by commercial sized bunnies? How are you going to keep all those rabbits anyway - commercial or regualr sized?

Quote Originally Posted by Sudonim View Post
    I've been looking really hard at pellet stoves. If I use the same amount of oil at work as last year, at the current pellet prices, the fuel cost would be exactly 1/3 of oil! Problem...the commercial sized pellet stoves won't be in stock until around Dec/Jan.
    We are also getting one for the house, that's available this summer. If you are military, you can get a 10% off hardwood pellets at Home Depot or Lowe's, about $205 per ton.
    I was thinking of switching from wood stove to pellets stove but then I talk to one of the guys I work with that got a pellet stove last year. He told me how many tons he burned and how much he spent. I can not remember the amount he bought but he said he spent a little over $1,000 in pellets to heat his house last winter.

After hearing that I decided to stay with my wood stove. I spent less then $400 to heat my house last year.
    Blazing Troll