vb:literal>

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cache Containers

Talking Cache Containers

Came across this cache container the other day, it is in a place I am sure few of you will go so no hints. The guy had trouble with one of mine, it took him five tries to find it so he decided to give the same type of challenege to others. Under the tree were lots of big rocks and split logs, took us a bit to find it but noticed it was the wrong season for something of that size. The cache container is in the center of the photo and screws open where there was a peanut butter jar mounted in foam filling the center. Very clever I think, never liked the little critters anyway so I stayed as far away as possible until I finally gave in.

I am not sure how to load photo but it is located here if what I try doesn't work.
    http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/...80904512af.jpg
    We hate mindless caches placed in the woods without a reason, nothing but the cache in a plastic bag on a tree.

Interesting........have seen some photos of these and others on the GC.com forums......but wonder about what we are saying to children when we place caches like this. For adults - fine but kids.......well we will let everyone be their own judge on this one.

It reminded me of when I was caching with both my kids and my adult daughter nearly walked into one hanging in a tree and the real McCoy! Fortunately her brother saw it and told her to steer clear.

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    Interesting........have seen some photos of these and others on the GC.com forums......but wonder about what we are saying to children when we place caches like this. For adults - fine but kids.......well we will let everyone be their own judge on this one.

It reminded me of when I was caching with both my kids and my adult daughter nearly walked into one hanging in a tree and the real McCoy! Fortunately her brother saw it and told her to steer clear.
    I have to agree with Hollera on this one. When I first saw it, I thought, "This isn't a good idea." I'm glad someone agrees. I can just see people poking sticks at real ones to see what happens. I have relatives that are alergic to bees and wasps. It can be life threatening.

Bee Hives, Dog Doo, what's next ... Puke Puddles ?????

d’76 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Opalsns View Post
    Bee Hives, Dog Doo, what's next ... Puke Puddles ?????

Fake puke caches would be great around UMO come finals week. LOL

Default I agree, but only with a condition...

IMHO, you can't say this is not a great idea for kids (or many adults for that matter), unless you also agree that electrified light poles and other electrical apparatus are also unsafe. In fact, most of the time the former will give some warning, where the latter - you don't know if it's energized or not.

Johnnygeo's Geocaching Electrical Safety Blog

DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Walk Loudly and Carry a Big Stick!!!!

Shouldn't parents bear the responsibility for teaching kids that certain things should not be touched or played with? And, if they do bear that responsibility, then they should not hide a cache in a location that contradicts that message: bee hives, electric boxes, and lamp posts. Our sport will survive, even thrive, without caches in any of those locations.
    Appreciate everyone who has ever come into your life- for some come in as a blessing and others come in as a lesson.

lol,,at least a beehive cache you can visualize the risk. Rolling over a log in the woods, searching a guard rail with your hands, poking the ground with a stick for that matter can stir up bees. First ones that come to mind are Yellow Jackets, they like to live ground level in crevises and what not. They leave very little visual clue as to where they nest. Bumble Bees also. People that risk anaphylaxis should carry their Epi-pens with them at all times anyways. Those that travel with folks with severe allergies should know where to look for it and administering is pretty intuitive. The comment that it is the finders responsibility to know their limitations and the limitations of those they cache with (i.e. children) should be the accepted rule. We need to be responsible for ourselves and accept that some people will take bigger risk than others and that it is not wrong, one way of the other, no matter how much I or you disagree. I would never bring my child skydiving for fear of the chute not opening up (my heart would stop) even though I myself didn't think anything of jumping out of an airplane.

If I saw the beehive I would leave as I hate getting stung and wouldn't risk it. I'm not allergic and I have no phobia of bees but the cache, to me, simply isn't worth the risk. As mentioned, with or without this type of cache, the sport will thrive and will offer those with varying taste what they seek...

Cache On!!
    There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.~~Albert Einstein
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Many wise words are spoken in jest, but they don't compare with the number of stupid words spoken in earnest. - Sam Levenson (1911 - 1980)

Quote Originally Posted by msteelee View Post
    Shouldn't parents bear the responsibility for teaching kids that certain things should not be touched or played with? And, if they do bear that responsibility, then they should not hide a cache in a location that contradicts that message: bee hives, electric boxes, and lamp posts. Our sport will survive, even thrive, without caches in any of those locations.

Very Good Point !!!!!!!!
    Opalsns