vb:literal>

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Caches on the AT

Hybrid View

Default Caches on the AT

Our "Moxie Trail Crossing" cache was archived by GC.com.

Their comment was:

"The land manager has asked Groundspeak to archive this geocache because it is located on NPS corridor lands that buffer the Appalachian National Scenic Trail. On behalf of the National Park Service and the Appalachian Trail Conservancy, we ask for assistance from the cache owner in collecting the geocache at your earliest convenience.

Please communicate directly with the Appalachian Trail Conservancy about this cache.

If the situation changes in the future, we would be happy to discuss the re-listing of this cache."

I'm gonna give up the fight on this one, although the cache realistically could not be accessed from the AT, but from a public road. Yes, if the AT corridor is 1,000 feet at this point, it was probably inside the corridor. But I think their position is a little excessive...

IMHO...

Bruce,
    I called my dad today asking about this one. The land manager for this section is Jim Young. Dad is going to try to find out where the request came from because they are supposed to report corridor issues to him and he hasn't heard anything about this. I'll keep you posted.

Get used to it.

Where the hell is that thing?

Quote Originally Posted by EvilHomer View Post
    Get used to it.
    To what specifically? Just to clarify.

Looks like "Bemis", and "Twisted Sister Cedar Stump" have also been archived.

Default 2001 caches

Quote Originally Posted by Cache Maine View Post
    Looks like "Bemis", and "Twisted Sister Cedar Stump" have also been archived.
    There's one more 2001 cache gone! Oh well........ one less to log, to finish Sudonim's Challenge.

I see that this is happenng not just in Maine but all along the AT. I found a bookmark listing and lots of them are now archived.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

[quote=Team2hunt;43808]There's one more 2001 cache gone! Oh well........ one less to log, to finish Sudonim's Challenge.

THAT LEAVES ONLY 21 LEFT IN MAINE AND ONE IS DISABLED.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Our "Moxie Trail Crossing" cache was archived by GC.com.

Their comment was:

"The land manager has asked Groundspeak to archive this geocache because it is located on NPS corridor lands that buffer the Appalachian National Scenic Trail. On behalf of the National Park Service and the Appalachian Trail Conservancy, we ask for assistance from the cache owner in collecting the geocache at your earliest convenience.

Please communicate directly with the Appalachian Trail Conservancy about this cache.

If the situation changes in the future, we would be happy to discuss the re-listing of this cache."

I'm gonna give up the fight on this one, although the cache realistically could not be accessed from the AT, but from a public road. Yes, if the AT corridor is 1,000 feet at this point, it was probably inside the corridor. But I think their position is a little excessive...

IMHO...
    yeah, and nevermind that we had about 10 vehicles drive right up to it at the first tread lightly event... and the only thing we saw of the AT was the sign pointing in the direction to the trail...
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    yeah, and nevermind that we had about 10 vehicles drive right up to it at the first tread lightly event... and the only thing we saw of the AT was the sign pointing in the direction to the trail...
    Sheesh, yeah - I'd forgotten about that! LOL

With Bemis and Twisted Sister, you actually had to walk the AT to get to the cache, which was just off the trail. With Moxie Crossing, it was placed with the understanding that you DID NOT have to access the trail to get to it.

I'm not going to get into the whole political thing about caches along the AT but I think that the amount of visitors that these caches get is miniscule compared to the amount of foot traffic that the actual AT gets. Just MHO. And "get used to it" doesn't count in my book. It's just one more so called "activist" getting his nose in where it doesn't belong. Next thing you know they won't allow you to "Pee" on the AT...... You'll have to carry that out too.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Red face 1,000,000 or more

I agree with Haffy. I just don't get it. But all things considered, the AT is a very narrow path along the East coast. I bet there are a million other places that we can put caches.

After reading the Bemis cache page it looks like a great place to watch the sunset. I had been saving it for the event in Eustis later this year. I still plan on visiting the area, just before sunset.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.