vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windpower in Maine

Hybrid View

Default Windpower in Maine

We had an interesting yet divergent discussion on wind power recently in a thread about outdoor wood boilers. I've always been interested in alternative power, and just found a bunch of photos of wind power installations in Maine that I though others might be interested in.

(There were some exceptionally great photos of holes in the ground!)

My Uncle put in a wind generator a year or so back . . . pretty neat to see it whizzing along on a windy day. I've never asked him if how much of a difference it has made in his electric bill though.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

I am definitely interested in this but the prices I have read about getting it installed have been more then I want to pay. From what I have heard you could buy two brand new cars for that price. Does anyone know any more about this or someone who has actually installed one and has the details on this?
    Blazing Troll

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    I am definitely interested in this but the prices I have read about getting it installed have been more then I want to pay. From what I have heard you could buy two brand new cars for that price.
    Sheesh! What kinda car you talking about? One of these? LOL!

Actually, the total cost is between $11,000 and $15,000, depending on tower size, and the Maine legislature recently passed a law (LD349) that allows a $2,000 tax credit for wind generators (the $2,000 can be spread over 4 years tax liabilities if your tax assessment is less than $2,000).

I've also thought about buying an anemometer to put up in the field behind the house, just to see what wind I have here. Since I'm on the northwest side of a hill, I almost always have wind to some degree.

Speaking of wind power - we counted HUNDREDS of giant windmills in Spain.
    Last edited by WhereRWe?; 06-25-2008 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Actually, check out the price! $20000-26000 for a phone booth on wheels! You can buy a full sized sedan or pickup for less. (But you only have to fill the gas tank once on the smartcar )

If only we could harness the hot air around here!

Ok, back on topic everyone....
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by Sudonim View Post
    Actually, check out the price! $20000-26000 for a phone booth on wheels! You can buy a full sized sedan or pickup for less. (But you only have to fill the gas tank once on the smartcar )
    Where did you get that price? The base price is $13,590. With ALL options, destination charge, etc., the price is only $17,000. Someone is getting a heck of a dealer markup! LOL!

(Back off, BRDAD. This is my thread. LOL!)

Actually, the total cost is between $11,000 and $15,000, depending on tower size, and the Maine legislature recently passed a law (LD349) that allows a $2,000 tax credit for wind generators (the $2,000 can be spread over 4 years tax liabilities if your tax assessment is less than $2,000).

I've also thought about buying an anemometer to put up in the field behind the house, just to see what wind I have here. Since I'm on the northwest side of a hill, I almost always have wind to some degree.

Speaking of wind power - we counted HUNDREDS of giant windmills in Spain.

Nice...That legislation is new since I looked. Because of that legislation we have ordered and will be installing one. $2500.00 total tax credit plus a federal low interest load amortized at 1% and this system has a 7 year payback for us. Ours is going up in August...I'll keep those that are interested up to par. (We looked in February of 08 and the legislation was held up on appropriation, glad to see this has passed.. There is a US geological chart that has wind speeds calculated for just about everywhere,,,just google for it. We are going with the Whisper 800 as this system will supply more than half of our consumption.....
    There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.~~Albert Einstein
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Many wise words are spoken in jest, but they don't compare with the number of stupid words spoken in earnest. - Sam Levenson (1911 - 1980)

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    We are going with the Whisper 800 as this system will supply more than half of our consumption.....
    Sheesh! I Googled "Whisper 800", and all I got back was an aquarium filter! LOL!

Anyway, here's a picture of some of the windmills we saw in Spain:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0397.JPG 
Views:	152 
Size:	753.7 KB 
ID:	312  

Sheesh! I Googled "Whisper 800", and all I got back was an aquarium filter! LOL!

Anyway, here's a picture of some of the windmills we saw in Spain:
    I believe TRF is actually using the Whisper 800 aquarium . . . this aquarium has little running treadmills (like the ones you see for hamsters) for the fish which generate the power by doing the treadmill.

Could be that TRF meant the Whisper 500 model??? Maybe?
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."