vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are there any H.P.Lovecraft fans out there?

Hybrid View

Default Are there any H.P.Lovecraft fans out there?

I am considering making a multi-cache based on H.P.Lovecraft, or more so one of his many short stories. If you do not know about H.P.Lovecraft, google his name and read up on him, and his writing. He was a Gothic Horror writer in the 1920s to 1937, when he died at the age of 47. He was writing horror long before that genre was poplular. His writing influenced the likes of Stephen King, Jeffrey Dever, John Carpenter, Dean Koontz, and many of the popular horror writers of today. Lovecraft took his cues from Edgar Allen Poe. We all know about a Poe inspired mystery cache in the Orono area. I am in hopes of putting something together as a mystery multi-cache based on one of his stories. I am looking for some input as to how many would be interested in that? Also it would be a significant drive for most cachers as it would be about 30 some miles west of Millinocket, 25 or so north of Greenville. I would hate to make that trip and put a lot of work into a cache that 1 or 2 people might visit in a years time. Just looking for input at this point. THANKS!

Where the hell is that thing?

Well with all the cachers that go to Canada, I'm sure yours would be on a cache route.
    And , as always, ....
    If you place it , They will come!!!!!!!!!

A. Some of the best caches are the ones that only get a few visits a year.
    B. Some of the best caches are those which the placer derives from his/her personal interest.
    C. I like good caches, even when I don't know who you're talking about!
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

The Colour Out of Space was one of my favorite stories when I was a kid. Lovecraft described what 50 years later would be radiation poisoning.
    If you put a cache "out there", you won't get the volume of traffic you would in town, but the cachers that do it will really appreciate a well done cache. Don't let "find numbers" tell you how much people like the cache, I've got some that are way out that get more good comments than a quickly done cache in an easy to access location.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilHomer View Post
    I am considering making a multi-cache based on H.P.Lovecraft, or more so one of his many short stories. If you do not know about H.P.Lovecraft, google his name and read up on him, and his writing. He was a Gothic Horror writer in the 1920s to 1937, when he died at the age of 47. He was writing horror long before that genre was poplular. His writing influenced the likes of Stephen King, Jeffrey Dever, John Carpenter, Dean Koontz, and many of the popular horror writers of today. Lovecraft took his cues from Edgar Allen Poe. We all know about a Poe inspired mystery cache in the Orono area. I am in hopes of putting something together as a mystery multi-cache based on one of his stories. I am looking for some input as to how many would be interested in that? Also it would be a significant drive for most cachers as it would be about 30 some miles west of Millinocket, 25 or so north of Greenville. I would hate to make that trip and put a lot of work into a cache that 1 or 2 people might visit in a years time. Just looking for input at this point. THANKS!
    While it's always enjoyable to see folks log finds I often find that the logs I enjoy reading and writing involve caches that are memorable . . . memorable for their scenic views, theme, history, etc. In other words I would much rather own and find a cache that interests me as opposed to owning or finding a dozen caches that were placed just for the sake of being placed.

Personally, I would suspect that such a cache may not get a lot of hits . . . but as Opalsns said . . . if you place, they will come . . . just sometimes not right away.

So in summation . . . a well done cache to me is worth the time and effort. I will say however that while distance is one factor that may influence the number of cachers seeking out this cache, another factor is it being a multi. I know that I personally skip over some multis when I'm traveling through an area since I often don't have the time to commit to the search if it's more than one or two stages . . . again, just me personally.

Final thought . . . having done several of your caches and enjoyed them all . . . I would say that whatever cache you place would not be a waste of time or unenjoyable for cachers. Your caches have taken me to some nice places in some great out-of-the-way and close-to-home (or rather work) locations.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Never heard of the author - Thanks for introducing me to someone new.

A well done cache will be visited. With gas prices, folks would make it part of a ride to the area. There are some nice caches in both areas so there would be a reason to take a ride.

I like multis but prefer the ones where the stages stand alone on the way the final (yeah, I like a smilie for each stage). JMHO

Default Whats more important...

Doing something that you love. Or doing something that you think others will love.

Hmmmmmm...........I know my answer.

Place it and they will come.

Here is the H.P.Lovecraft cache in Rhode Island: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...=3&Submit6.y=5
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    Never heard of the author - Thanks for introducing me to someone new.
    Thats understandable...When you began reading ...Edgar Allen Poe had just began writing.

Quote Originally Posted by vicbiker View Post
    Thats understandable...When you began reading ...Edgar Allen Poe had just began writing.
    yeah, but when vic began reading... err... when reading was first invented when vic was in his mid 20s....

(ya left yourself open for that one)
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by vicbiker View Post
    Hee hee hee - vic if I didn't love ya so much I would put tacks out on the road for ya. All Kidding aside - don't let this grey hair fool you. My mother went grey early in life ~ it's inherited. I am a bit after Poe and actually not to far from King. LOL ~ didn't tell ya, which side!