vb:literal>

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Real Dread Thread

Talking You mean like...

Quote Originally Posted by brdad
    Anyone who thinks there's nothing scary in the woods hasn't met [Brdad] on the trail.
    I just HAD to do it,sorry Dave.
    Happy Trails!

Quote Originally Posted by brdad
    Anyone who thinks there's nothing scary in the woods hasn't met [Insert name of your favorite cacher here] on the trail.
    I'm never afraid when I go into the woods. I usually have RULOST2? with me.

Red face Comfort?

Yikes - I've not been worried enough in the woods to even consider carry a weapon the magnitude of a gun. YOP shared his philosophy with me .... "Most wild animals will spot you long before you even see them and disappear quickly." He is far more experienced in the outdoor arena than I so I gained great peace of mind with that bit of information. I remain alert and aware of my surroundings, but not fearful. This whole discussion makes me think a bit more about what other people I meet along the way may have in their possession for sure. I carry pepper spray as a means to pacify my family who worry when I venture out alone. Sounds like others think I might be wise to carry it with me as I venture around Portland, though having lived here for 20 years now, I can tell you that I have not once felt as though I needed to have it with me.
    ~ Beach Comber ~

d’76 Guest

I respect everyones decision to carry or not to carry.

Unforuntley I agree with everyone. I wish it wasn't so. I feel that people are the biggest threat in the maine woods and local area caches. I never feel uncomfortable in the woods, however in the cities it's another question. I beleive that there are far more bad people than there ever is bad animals.

Realize that I don't think that just anyone should carry a concealed weapon. I have had extensive firearm trainning. Unfortunatly anyone who has a clean police record also can carry a firearm conceal.. I think you would be surprized how many people carry. I know that I was
    Last edited by d’76; 04-06-2005 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957
    I just HAD to do it,sorry Dave.

Wow, I always thought I was your favorite cacher, but thanks for confirming it!
    Last edited by brdad; 04-06-2005 at 03:08 PM.

I dont carry while caching even though I hold a concealed weapons permit. Once in a while I'll bring it (a pre-ban Ruger P-85, 15 in the clip and one in the pipe) just to do some plinking. I'm more afraid of breaking a leg and not being found than I am of any animal or person attacks.

Talking Boom!

All I have is my glock 17, I've never thought of carrying while caching, but that makes sense in the deep woods-I think a colt 45 would do the trick, or maybe a 30-06, but that's a lot of hardware to hump while caching. The other good thing to remember is to give Bears space and never get to close to the little ones-maternal instincts tend to make females of any species a little less than happy-and as the saying goes, when Momma aint happy, aint nobody happy. That's my thought, but I could be accused of being biased

I think that its a persons right to carry a firearm if they choose to, as long as they are law abiding citizens and properly trained in handling firearms. I dont worry about these kind of people carrying firearms. Criminals dont care if they have a permit or not anyway. I dont carry one in public personally, although I can if I wish, I just avoid the potentially dangerous areas at night. When I am in the deep woods though, I am usually armed, My choice!! I gotta tell ya, I have spent most of my life in the north Maine woods, Hunting, fishing , Hiking, exploring and I have also seen most every critter there is. Most of the time they will avoid you if at all possible...BUT , I have been charged by a bull moose once.. It was in the fall, their mating season, and I accidently interrupted Him and his mate...courting. He was not a happy camper!! When a 800 to 900 lb. animal is boring down on you with snot flying out of his nose its,not a real good feeling. I dont think a shot of pepper spray would have slowed him down at all. I ran like a scared school child to a huge pine tree and hid behind it and he stopped about 10 yards from it and was pawing the ground and shaking his head. all I had with me was a single shot 12 guage and #6 birdshot. I fired one shot over his head and he wheeled around and left the area. After cleaning my shorts and stuffing my heart back in my chest , I departed the area also!! I reported this to the local Warden and he said it was a "false charge",, When does an attack get documented?? Do you actually have to get stomped into the ground?? I love to watch wildlife in Maine as much as the next person, and would never want to dispatch an animal for no good reason, but if it comes down to me or it, I like to be prepared. This may never happen again in my lifetime, I hope,but, If it does Im not gonna lose!! Thats my story and Im sticking to it!!

Quote Originally Posted by dave1976
    When I do urban Caches it's a Glock 357 sig. It's light and easy to conceal
    *sigh* oh dave.... dave, dave, dave, dave.... dave....
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

I have only been caching for about a month. One of the first times I was out, a siberian husky ran past me. He startled me but he was having none of me, so I wasn't scared, although he was not attached to any person. I was all alone in the woods because I cache during weekdays and work at night. It reminded me of news stories I've seen of rottweilers running in packs because they get away from their idiotic owners, who don't go after them because they are afraid to be evicted or get caught for not licensing. I think I would have a much better chance of hitting one with mace than with a bullet.
    ~*There's Tupperware in thum thar hills!*~