vb:literal>

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Real Dread Thread

Default The Real Dread Thread

Well this thread should be for the challenging/scary/adventurous/underwater/dragon-guarded caches I think, so that those looking for some serious action can know where it's at. I'm obviously biased in my first recommendation, and I think this only barely lives up to the supposed requirements, but I have to plug my own: Drum n Bass Arena. From the ammount of Bear-related incidents in this area that I've been hearing, I'll be packing my Taurus Tracker .44 magnum on future trips here just in case. Enjoy
    Last edited by Diggler; 03-31-2005 at 11:40 PM. Reason: addition
    Do you dare to get-down with the Drum n Bass Arena?

If my memory serves me correctly, I climbed this mountain during the summer of 1970. We were camping at Harrington Lake. There was a firetower at the top with a well worn trail. We met the fire warden on our way down. He had a backpack full of storage batteries and legs like coil springs. It was a challenging hike with the trail. Must be a real trip without one.

d’76 Guest

Talking

The Taurus 44 mag must be the geohandgun of choice. Thats what I carry when deep woods caching.

Thumbs up Taurus .357

Taurus .357 mag model 669VR is the best I can do.

Thumbs up I have two choices

I have my Colt 45 Auto, and my Colt 6" Stainless Steel Python .357 magnum. Either one would work in this state as a carry gun.
    Happy Trails!

d’76 Guest

Talking

When I do urban Caches it's a Glock 357 sig. It's light and easy to conceal

Quote Originally Posted by dave1976
    When I do urban Caches it's a Glock 357 sig. It's light and easy to conceal
    "Urban caches"? In Detroit I might carry, but in Maine, come on. I don't even really expect to find any serious action from big game in the woods, I carry just in case, and target shoot more often. The geocahcers that have the most to worry about are in Southern California where there's alot of mountain lions around the trails of suburbia. They'd do well to carry a .45 auto anyway. The possible bear threat in some places though really calls for a .44 mag.
    Do you dare to get-down with the Drum n Bass Arena?

I think you meet some of the more dangerous animals in Maine in the city instead of the woods. Never hurts to be prepared.

Default Carrying guns in Maine

I've hunted, fished and prospected in the mountains of Maine and New Hampshire all my life. I am more concerned about people with guns and so called hunters in the woods than I m about wild animals attacking me. I spend most of my time alone in the woods and have at one time or another seen about every wild animal that roams the woods (close up) and have yet to see any agressive approaches. Most wild animals will spot you long before you even see them and disappear quickly. I'd be more worried about getting mugged on some back street in Portland or Bangor than being attcked by some wild animal in the woods. Just try to find some documented cases of animal attacks here in Maine. To each his own.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Cliff

Talking

Anyone who thinks there's nothing scary in the woods hasn't met [Insert name of your favorite cacher here] on the trail.