vb:literal>

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Real Dread Thread

I agree with just about everything that has been said already, what it boils down to for me is common sense. I (being a boy scout at one time in my life) Never leave unprepared. There are many times when I go out that I would never consider carrying a gun... I think of all the potentially bad situations just carrying a gun could put me in. But then again I think of the positive, a 900lb angry moose and me by myself... yeah, I think I would want to have a gun with me. Going urban caching and playing vigalante... uhhh no, I think I would stick to a MacGyver approach for urban caching. Those of us that are gun owners need to be responsible ones that care about others and let those thoughts counduct our actions.
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave and Gail
    I think that its a persons right to carry a firearm if they choose to, as long as they are law abiding citizens and properly trained in handling firearms. I dont worry about these kind of people carrying firearms. Criminals dont care if they have a permit or not anyway. I dont carry one in public personally, although I can if I wish, I just avoid the potentially dangerous areas at night. When I am in the deep woods though, I am usually armed, My choice!! I gotta tell ya, I have spent most of my life in the north Maine woods, Hunting, fishing , Hiking, exploring and I have also seen most every critter there is. Most of the time they will avoid you if at all possible...BUT , I have been charged by a bull moose once.. It was in the fall, their mating season, and I accidently interrupted Him and his mate...courting. He was not a happy camper!! When a 800 to 900 lb. animal is boring down on you with snot flying out of his nose its,not a real good feeling. I dont think a shot of pepper spray would have slowed him down at all. I ran like a scared school child to a huge pine tree and hid behind it and he stopped about 10 yards from it and was pawing the ground and shaking his head. all I had with me was a single shot 12 guage and #6 birdshot. I fired one shot over his head and he wheeled around and left the area. After cleaning my shorts and stuffing my heart back in my chest , I departed the area also!! I reported this to the local Warden and he said it was a "false charge",, When does an attack get documented?? Do you actually have to get stomped into the ground?? I love to watch wildlife in Maine as much as the next person, and would never want to dispatch an animal for no good reason, but if it comes down to me or it, I like to be prepared. This may never happen again in my lifetime, I hope,but, If it does Im not gonna lose!! Thats my story and Im sticking to it!!
    Two things jump to mind.....

One is that I'm not sure I would any size animal running at me with snot flying out of its nose - lol. And I'm not all that excited about having any humans doing that either

The other is that when I said I carry pepper spray with me, I should have clarified that it is in case I meet some irrational humans along the way. I have never imagined that pepper spray would do much for an animal other than make it even more mad and I'm not sure I would take the chance. I would probably choose to run like a school child too.
    ~ Beach Comber ~

Quote Originally Posted by enfanTerrible
    I have only been chaching for about a month. One of the first times I was out, a siberian husky ran past me. He startled me but he was having none of me, so I wasn't scared, although he was not attached to any person. I was all alone in the woods because I cache during weekdays and work at night. It reminded me of news stories I've seen of rottweilers running in packs because they get away from their idiotic owners, who don't go after them because they are afraid to be evicted or get caught for not licensing. I think I would have a much better chance of hitting one with mace than with a bullet.
    That brings up a whole nutha subject... the gun is only as good as the owner...

Quote Originally Posted by Diggler
    Well this thread should be for the challenging/scary/adventurous/underwater/dragon-guarded caches I think, so that those looking for some serious action can know where it's at. I'm obviously biased in my first recommendation, and I think this only barely lives up to the supposed requirements, but I have to plug my own: Drum n Bass Arena. From the ammount of Bear-related incidents in this area that I've been hearing, I'll be packing my Taurus Tracker .44 magnum on future trips here just in case. Enjoy
    I did Drum n Bass last summer, it was a nice bushwhack, no clear trail, the base of the hill was all clearcut, took about 45mins/1hr to get to the top, to find a cache scattered accross the hilltop and a pez container chewed to bits. But the fire tower (what's left of it) made for some cool pics. There were lots of moose tracks (and I mean lots) it was definitely an adventure wandering aimlessly through woods.

Quote Originally Posted by Beach Comber
    Two things jump to mind.....

One is that I'm not sure I would any size animal running at me with snot flying out of its nose - lol. And I'm not all that excited about having any humans doing that either

The other is that when I said I carry pepper spray with me, I should have clarified that it is in case I meet some irrational humans along the way. I have never imagined that pepper spray would do much for an animal other than make it even more mad and I'm not sure I would take the chance. I would probably choose to run like a school child too.
    you forgot about the "waving your arms madly screaming like a girl yelling for mother..."

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357
    you forgot about the "waving your arms madly screaming like a girl yelling for mother..."
    I'd probably be yelling for my daddy - lol
    ~ Beach Comber ~

Quote Originally Posted by Beach Comber
    I'd probably be yelling for my daddy - lol
    Hey, like I've been saying, what you do is your perrogative... (just make sure you do it responsibly)

d’76 Guest

many times when I carry doing urban caches I carry becuase of 2 reasons. One People that think they want to inflict harm on me or girlmate(you read about it every week in the paper) and the other is dogs. Go to the Bangor city forest and watch all the big dogs running about with no owner in site. Not everyone likes dogs and I am on of those people. So, dogs are as bad as people and I wouldnt hasitate on either, when I feel that my security is being jeopordized..

My husband got rid of his hand guns when we had children. I geocache with my girls and I tell you we never see animals, they hear us from a mile away. If a place feels so unsafe to cache at with my family that I'd need a gun, I thnk I wouldn't go there. The only dogs that nipped at my kids were on a leash and the owner encouraged them to be pet so the dogs could learn. But hey, we're still pretty new at this. Hiking some mountain and camping in the middle of no where might make me feel differently.

i'm glad that i'm not the only "i'm not a dog lover" person here! i've also had a lot of dogs run up to me when i've been out caching. i guess leash laws don't apply anywhere i've cached! i did a cache in the mid-coast area and the dog's owner said to me in total disgust "he's perfectly harmless" (as i stood there perfectly motionless.) most owners say that about their dogs. well, how am i supposed to know whether the dog is harmless or not? just because the (*&$# rotweiler's name is "fluffy" doesn't mean i'm going to walk up to it!
    "life is short...make a mess of it!"