vb:literal>

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Real Dread Thread

Quote Originally Posted by becket
    i'm glad that i'm not the only "i'm not a dog lover" person here! i've also had a lot of dogs run up to me when i've been out caching. i guess leash laws don't apply anywhere i've cached! i did a cache in the mid-coast area and the dog's owner said to me in total disgust "he's perfectly harmless" (as i stood there perfectly motionless.) most owners say that about their dogs. well, how am i supposed to know whether the dog is harmless or not? just because the (*&$# rotweiler's name is "fluffy" doesn't mean i'm going to walk up to it!
    I'm more of a cat person myself. I have to say that I can't ever recall having a cat run up to me and start growling or meowing at me repeatedly while out geocaching. I have had some unleashed dogs do this . . . and don't get me started on doggie landmines in public parks . . .

However, I don't have a problem with unleashed dogs in general providing that the owners are able to keep them restrained (i.e. in public view, they're not barking and growling at everyone, etc.)

Of course I don't have any problem with ferocious dogs anyways . . . the dogs I have run across generally take one look at my ugly mug and run back to their owners with their tail between their legs.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Not to stir up a pro/anti gun-carrying debate here, but I personally don't carry anything . . . unless you consider one of my signature items as a personal defensive weapon ("Get back dog, get back or so help me I'll throw this wooden ladder and make you play fetch with me" . . . "Back off man. I've got a white #98 ladder on me and I'm not afraid to use it.")

I will say this though . . . I think many times the perception of personal danger to us as geocachers and as people in general (geocachers are people too, right? ) is over-blown. Granted I'm only 35 (it is 2006 right?) and I probably live a relatively sheltered life in Unity/Bangor, Maine . . . but I have yet to be assaulted or feel threatened by any person in my entire life. I guess I don't feel the need to carry anything on me for personal protection . . . my choice, not a choice everyone would make and I'm OK with that . . . hakuna matata you know.

I suppose dogs might be another issue for some folks, but once again I've found in general that usually if I stand my ground and don't make any threatening moves and show that I'm in control they seem to either back down or we're at a standstill until the owner shows up. As for wild critters, I don't worry too much . . . of course attempting to pet the male moose during rutting season is just asking for trouble of a whole different kind. Ditto with getting between a mother and her young . . . or attempting to play with that raccoon who is stumbling all over the place around lunchtime and is overly friendly ("Don't worry about rabies, kids. Keep playing with Rocky . . . I'm sure he just had one too many martinis last night and that's why he's not home sleeping.")

Again, not to stir up any anti/pro gun debates. This is just my opinion.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

We have a Cat and a dog. The cat is about as useless as they come. Dont get me wrong , I am fairly attached to the thing, but all it does is eat, sleep, poop, eat ,sleep, poop, and then walk around your head at night making that cute purring noise. It hates to go for rides in the truck, cant take it camping, wont fetch a stick , does not even know one single trick, even for food!! Ever try to get a cat to go swimming with you?? Not pretty!! Now our dog on the other hand, is a different story. He just loves to go for rides , loves to go camping, loves to dive off the rocks at Gauntlet falls{his favorite place}, will fetch sticks all day long, knows all kind of tricks{for food of course}, and stays in one spot at night and never walks over your face while youre sleeping. HE lets you know when someone or something is nearby instead of running for the cellar. Cats vs Dogs??? Well I do like Cats,,,specially with a little ketchup!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ye Olde Prospector
    I've hunted, fished and prospected in the mountains of Maine and New Hampshire all my life. I am more concerned about people with guns and so called hunters in the woods than I m about wild animals attacking me. I spend most of my time alone in the woods and have at one time or another seen about every wild animal that roams the woods (close up) and have yet to see any agressive approaches. Most wild animals will spot you long before you even see them and disappear quickly. I'd be more worried about getting mugged on some back street in Portland or Bangor than being attcked by some wild animal in the woods. Just try to find some documented cases of animal attacks here in Maine. To each his own.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Cliff

I'm in total agreement with YOP.
    What if the Hokey Pokey is what its all about?
    Have Fun & Be Safe!

I dont feel to afraid of those tough looking Gang members you see hanging aorund these days, you know the ones with the black clothes and look like they fell face first into the fishing tackle box!! Makes me laugh, and besides, If you just run from them youll be OK, cause how fast can a person run with the crotch of their pants down at their knees??

Quote Originally Posted by Beach Comber
    . I have never imagined that pepper spray would do much for an animal other than make it even more mad and I'm not sure I would take the chance. I would probably choose to run like a school child too.
    Actually, Pepper spray is one of the BEST bear repellants.
    What if the Hokey Pokey is what its all about?
    Have Fun & Be Safe!

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake
    Not to stir up a pro/anti gun-carrying debate here, but I personally don't carry anything . . . unless you consider one of my signature items as a personal defensive weapon

Again, not to stir up any anti/pro gun debates. This is just my opinion.
    the only thing i have with me is my walking stick, when i remember to take it. i rely on my "6th sense" - if i get a bad feeling about a place, i leave. (after driving the 9 million miles through the mud to get to m57's "don't pushaw your luck" cache, i got out of my car, took 2 steps and got back in and left.) i do think about safety however. my friends keep telling me to get some pepper spray (which i would end up spraying in MY face.) my friend shay-shay was after me to take anything i had that sprayed - preferably hair spray. i told her the only spray stuff i had was butter flavored pam. geez!
    "life is short...make a mess of it!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dave and Gail
    We have a Cat and a dog. The cat is about as useless as they come. Dont get me wrong , I am fairly attached to the thing, but all it does is eat, sleep, poop, eat ,sleep, poop, and then walk around your head at night making that cute purring noise. It hates to go for rides in the truck, cant take it camping, wont fetch a stick , does not even know one single trick, even for food!! Ever try to get a cat to go swimming with you?? Not pretty!! Now our dog on the other hand, is a different story. He just loves to go for rides , loves to go camping, loves to dive off the rocks at Gauntlet falls{his favorite place}, will fetch sticks all day long, knows all kind of tricks{for food of course}, and stays in one spot at night and never walks over your face while youre sleeping. HE lets you know when someone or something is nearby instead of running for the cellar. Cats vs Dogs??? Well I do like Cats,,,specially with a little ketchup!!
    Ut oh . . . now I've done it. Forget the pro/anti hand gun debate . . . now it will be a cat vs. dog debate.

Well, Dave . . . not that I'm saying that a smelly, slobbering, bark-at-everything-that-moves, shove-their-nose-into-a-porcupine-filling-it-with-quills dog that poops wherever he wants outside is not as good as a cat, but I do have to take issues with a few of your comments.

First off, I have a Manx cat, Theodore Roosevelt, that thinks he is a dog. I say this because when he was young he would actually try to chase cars going by the house and we could even get him to play fetch with us by throwing a stuffed Snoopy. When he was younger (and even today) he enjoyed digging holes everywhere.

Also, while none of my current batch of cats like riding in a car (in fact most of them ralph all over the cat carrier and carry on with this ear-shrieking cater-walling that is enough to drive a man to drink), I did have one cat, Woodrow Wilson, who loved to ride in cars. He would either sit behind the back seats on the "shelf" and watch the scenery passing by or he would stand between the front seats with his front paws on the dash watching the on-coming traffic.

As for personal protection . . . I'm not saying that I would trust any of my cats to come to my aid if I was getting a beating, but Calvin Coolidge (an obsese Persian) will often raise a ruckus whenever he sees a strange animal in the back yard. I once also used Teddy to try to take on a squirrel that had found its way into our house, but that's a whole other story that abruptly ended with my wife yelling for me to not let Teddy kill the squirrel even though she was locked in the bedroom under the covers in fear.

You do have me on the swimming issue. I haven't had a cat yet that has liked the water or getting bathed, but in contrast I will say that if you have a good cat you should never have to worry about critters in your home. Mice, rats, moles . . . never a problem. Of course there are a couple downsides. 1) I can't seem to convince my cats that there are bad critters that I want them to kill (i.e. mice, rats, moles) and then there are good critters that I don't want them to kill (i.e. chipmunks, birds). 2) I don't mind the killing sprees that they go on with wanton abandonment -- I just wish they didn't feel compelled to bring back the carcasses and plop them on the back deck for me to admire (I've got a regular kill zone cemetery going on in one corner of my yard . . . some day an archelogist will come along and wonder why there are so many mice, bird and mole skeletons in one place.)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave and Gail
    I dont feel to afraid of those tough looking Gang members you see hanging aorund these days, you know the ones with the black clothes and look like they fell face first into the fishing tackle box!! Makes me laugh, and besides, If you just run from them youll be OK, cause how fast can a person run with the crotch of their pants down at their knees??
    This reminds me of a true story.

I was teaching a CPR class in Bangor and was talking about occasions when you would not want to continue to do CPR (i.e. exhausted, person is declared dead by paramedics, person has a DNR order, etc.) and we began talking about stopping when you are in danger yourself.

Most folks talk about doing CPR too close to a fire scene, traffic accident, near power lines, etc., but I actually had one person that said in all seriousness . . .

"Another example would be if you were doing CPR in a City like Bangor and you were in gang territory."

Right . . . can't tell you how often I see a member of the Bloods and Crips in my day-to-day work.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty & Co.
    Actually, Pepper spray is one of the BEST bear repellants.
    My sister in Alaska says the "bear bells" that tourists wear are "dinner bells" to the grizzlies . . . and the pepper spray is for the bears to "season their dinner."