vb:literal>

Thread: Warren Island Campout Posted

Default Warren Island Campout Posted

Warren Island Campout Event GC1DNEM
    (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...4-5a877ce60ffe) has been posted for Saturday August 23.

Please let me know any ideas you have for the event.

The first suggestion, as I was there this weekend, is to go prepared to TLC, if not done before the Water Dog Cache. It needs a new container (an ammo box would be the best) and definitely a new log book (as the old one is all moldy).

Also the other cache on the island - For Who the Bell Tolls - needs a new log book. That sweet little birch bark covered one is quite full.

The island took some big hits with wind this winter. Lots of trees down - but there is plenty of wood. On the back side of the island between Warren and 700 Acre along the trail - there was a nest of Opsrey.......who this past weekend were feeding and protecting their young.

This event will only be for those who are not partaking of the Bangor American Folk Festival, as it is the same weekend.

So little summer, so much to do, so many things from which to choose.

Rob - thanks for the event this year......I will be in town at the festival but hope those who attend enjoy. Please help those caches out and email me with questions. I was there this weekend.

What are the options of getting there by Kayak? Where would we put in at?
    Blazing Troll

The place I am reccomended route is to take the ferry over at isleboro and there is a boat ramp where the ferry is. The other route I would not reccomend unless you are an experienced kayaker would be going from the boat ramp at the Lincolnville Ferry terminal but that crossing could be hazzardous so I would be very cautous on attempting that.

I will be going over on Friday if any one wants to meet me let me know as well as if I know when anyone is getting there we can meet over in Isleborro on Saturday and paddle over too.

I am also looking for any one with a canoe or small boat that would be willing to bring it to help get people over that do not have a boat.

I have crossed to WIStPk on a 15 ft Cape Cod Merc Sloop a couple of times and I can tell you it can get dicey even in that kind of craft. My opinion is that it would be foolhardy to take a canoe across because conditions can change so quickly. This is especially true for most inexperienced kayakers. Think twice or three times about before unnecessarily undertaking that kind of risk. If allowed, it would be far better to pay the ferry fee to Isleboro and kayak from there to the park.
    Nuffer

Quote Originally Posted by Nuffer View Post
    I have crossed to WIStPk on a 15 ft Cape Cod Merc Sloop a couple of times and I can tell you it can get dicey even in that kind of craft. My opinion is that it would be foolhardy to take a canoe across because conditions can change so quickly. This is especially true for most inexperienced kayakers. Think twice or three times about before unnecessarily undertaking that kind of risk. If allowed, it would be far better to pay the ferry fee to Isleboro and kayak from there to the park.

I agree with you having seen that crossing a few times. I myself will be doing the crossing from Isleborro and take the ferry to isleborro. I mention the other crossing only because their are many in this group that are skilled enough to do it and would enjoy that trip.

Hey Rob - someone just posted finding the two cache on the island. They have said the coords are off on Warren Island Water Dog - the one near the group site. I don't remember them being off last year. Wondering if it got muggled and moved. When I was out there we tried to cover it up really good.

Maybe your group could check. The weekend you are going is the Folk Festival. Having been to Warren once this year - I am going to pass.

Here's to a successful event. There are a number who have not been there before and it is a fun place.

We can check on them while we are out there. Do you know hte owners of the caches? Just figured if they wanted us to do some maintanence on the caches while we are out there.

Waterdog Cache - ceekayker hasn't been back on GCM since 8/15/07.....joined in 2004 ~ lobbyist from Maine. I PM the owner after my visit and haven't heard a word. The last finder and I have been in touch - he thinks it may have been muggled so take/write down his coords (just in case). Suggestion on this one if maintenance is to happen without adoption - this cache needs a new container of some type. Either a LocNLoc or an AmmoCan. The blue rubber gasket on the old Rubbermaid has seen better days.

And Where The Bell Tolls (WTBT) is owned by WeGallivant/WeGallavant - now that one - the owner hasn't been on GC.com since 8/18/2005! WTBT despirately needs a new log book - that cute little birch bark log is nearly full! The owner is supposed to be from Belfast and in technology. WTBT has had a "needs maintenance post" since you posted last year. Over the winter - it seems to have dried out - and it's location is a bit more secluded/protected that the other cache when it is put away properly. Perhaps the cover had not been put back on tight. Greatest problem to this one is the "geotrail" which developes as the flora and fauna grows each year. Very hard to prevent due to the species of plants.

Perhaps with a kind word the Park Ranger would be willing and able to take them over ~ but an adoption request would still need to be done. I didn't see the lady ranger when I was there - just a gentleman but they all seem very nice. Talking with them would never hurt. They also might be able to to suggestion some other areas on the island which might work well or provide less eco impact.

Maine Publisher would also, I am sure, give you some sage advice.......because there may be something one should consider to providing absentee maintence without the knowledge or approval of the cache owner.

Just presenting the facts here. Nothing more.

It would be up to you Rob - to decide the course of action you and/or the group which to take and/or contact he owners. I did the best I could when on the island with what I had at hand ~ not going prepared for what we encountered.

Thanks for trying to consider preserving some really neat caches.