vb:literal>

Thread: Geocaching and Rock Hounding

Default Geocaching and Rock Hounding

My son and I went to Apatite Mountain in Lewiston last week. We really enjoyed it and would like to do caching and some rock and mineral hunting.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have Gold panning things. Are there any caches near a gold panning site?

i don't know how close the cache is to the panning area but here is a couple that are near coos caynon in byron maine up rte 17. GCNDJQ and GCY0C0

Location: Coos Canyon is located in the town of Byron, Maine, on Route 17. It will come up on your right as you're headed toward Rangeley on Route 17 West.
    Admission: There is free parking available at the Coos Canyon site, and there is no charge to visit the scenic spot or to wade into the water to try your luck panning for gold.
    Pan for Gold: Bring your own panning equipment, or rent gear and take a quick lesson in panning at the Ole Prospector Mineral & Gift Shoppe, located across Route 17 from Coos Canyon. When I visited in 2003, the price to rent a plastic pan was $2 per day, with a $5 refundable deposit required. Camp Nearby: Coos Canyon Cabins and Campground, 207-364-3880, rents gold panning gear at the camp store and offers cabin rentals and campsites for tents, campers and RVs.
    i hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by balinda View Post
    My son and I went to Apatite Mountain in Lewiston last week. We really enjoyed it and would like to do caching and some rock and mineral hunting.
    We brought back a "piece of the rock" from the Rock of Gibraltar! LOL!

I have a "gas saver", 4 caches at one mine in Minot. As a kid I used to go there with my friends to look for cinnamon garnet. There's a lot of crystal, too. You're still allowed to mine there, with hand tools only.
    Old Smelly ... Bird Brain ... It's the Pitts .... Friends of Mine
    ~*There's Tupperware in thum thar hills!*~

contact Jimsjems of lewiston through his geocaching profile, he is a rockhound, he might know of some more too.

There Are Some Mines In West Paris, South Paris, Greenwood And They All Have A Cache Or Two Near. You Can Stop By Perhams In West Paris And Get A Map Of Mines They Own And Also Find Out Where You Can Rock Hound.

Well my caches are the closest to West Paris and Greenwood and they get no action so I guess when people are rockhounding, they don't want to cache.