vb:literal>

Thread: Looking for PDA suggestions

Default Looking for PDA suggestions

I've had a look around to see if this has been covered anywhere but couldn't locate a thread. If anyone knows of one, please point me in the right direction.

I'm thinking of getting a PDA to start paperless caching. I figure that by the time I buy more printer catridges/paper I could have gotten myself a basic PDA to store all my cache info.

So, in your experience what are the most helpful options to have on a PDA for geocaching? I don't think I would use one for much else.

Where is a good place to buy one?

Thanks for any and all input

We use a Palm Tungsten E2 and really like it. In past threads about going paperless, people have mentioned the Palm Z22, which I see is going for about $66 on eBay.

It's a good basic PDA, and will do what you need for geocaching.

If you want something a little better, start first by considering expandable memory options. That will allow you to keep LOTS of data on your PDA. Wireless is nice too.

I concur with Bruce that EBAY is your friend. I have seen the most basic Palm M's going for under 20 dollars and with the addition of Cachemate for 8 dollars I think you can store as many caches on it as you would like. Plus if you spend less and you happen to have an accident with it you won't be too disappointed. A good hard case to protect it on your caching journeys is a must as well.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    A good hard case to protect it on your caching journeys is a must as well.
    Very true. I don't think I've ever dropped my PDA, but I once dropped the GPSr onto the PDA, which does just as much damage! LOL!

I bought a Z22 this spring and have had real good luck with it so far. This was my first attempt at paperless caching. So far I'm loving it. I originally bought a older model off from ebay for 15 dollars, but the problem with those models are you need a parallel port to USB adapter. Which can cost from 20 - 30 dollars to buy. I borrowed one from a friend, but she neglected to tell me you need software to run it . In the long run 100 dollars at Buy.com got me a new palm, hard case and all the soft ware to use it. Like Haffy said 8 dollars for cachemate and you are in business. I have 3000 caches stored and all kinds of memory left.

we also have the z22 and love it.we have had no problems with it and have used it for two seasons now. it makes the difference not having to search through a stack of paper and when you run a pocket query you can use the same gpx file to send to you gps as well.

i have a Zire72, works great. got it from freecycle. i got a card for it. it takes pictures. cant beat it. i use it just for caching and games when bored at some meeting or conference. it works with vista and usb port too.

Default thanks

Thanks, everyone. You've given me some great information. I'll let you know how I do