vb:literal>

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What did you do on the Fourth

Default The fifth and sixth...

The Fourth of July is really more then just the one day, it's really the whole weekend. Saturday the fifth found Number Seven and his faithful sidekick Lacy going down Piper pond in their canoe so Number Seven could do my new cache Outah Piper, while I tagged along in my kayak. Lacy having already logged a first to find on her bike. This means the first two people to do this one did it either by bike or by water. ( I only clarify this for Hiram's sake. ) In the afternoon we bike to Butterfields in Dover our favorite ice cream stop. Going down the railroad bed on the way down, and up the main road on the way back. A 25 mile bike ride.

The sixth found the same three some headed for Greenville where Lacy and Seven rented kayaks At Northern Outfitters so we all could go to Big Indian pond and do the Under water Railroad cache. Lacy and Seven had done this one back two years ago, but I hadn't done it, or for that matter had never been on the pond before. This is a must do water cache, the pond is awesome, being actually the beginning of the Kennebec River. We not only did the cache, but ended up exploring a lot of the north end of the pond. By my calculations we did 8 miles of kayaking, experience white caps on the lake on the return trip. This being the first experience with white caps for any of us novices, we did quite well.

Caching, biking, kayaking, all in one fun filled weekend spent with close friends, doesn't get much better then that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gob-ler View Post
    Traffic was quite lite and the trails were very empty.
    Dick do you feel this is a new trend? I found traffic less then normal on Rt. 1 in the Wiscasset area. All of the hiking trails were empty too. Time will tell I guess.

Quilting Mom & Mike and I headed the 10 miles out to Pushaw Lake CG for the weekend. The place was packed to the rafters with campers. We met some really nice folks, ate some good food and enjoyed all this awesome weather. We go out on the lake in our kayaks a few times too. I got Island Hoppers back up and running too. The Geopups had plenty of other dogs to socialize with. Nice place and our first time there.

On another note:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957 View Post
    They just headed to Rumford for the week to visit with QM's folks. I get to have a week of peace and quiet.
    Got to love those visits to the folks. On a serious note glad you had a good fourth Brad. I usually hate those crowded campsites, but on the few times that I have done so, I find I also have meant some really nice folks.

Eastport always has a great celebration for the whole family. The day starts out with different tpyes of races, then a penny toss. I don't know why they call it that. The kids mostly had sweat treats! There's music played in different areas, craft vendors, FOOD! There afternoon parade is the best in Washington Co. And this year the fireworks were awesome! I had an idea while watching the parade. It would be great to have a geocaching float! Maybe Garmen could be the sponsor. How many cachers would like to be involved in something like that? Making up a float? Riding on a float? I can pretty much say that WACO Wranglers would. It would be great to promote geocaching. Then the International parade is coming up at the begining of Aug. This year I believe it'll be on Aug. 9th. I'll have to double check that. At this time it's still just an idea. Feedback would be great!
    Mipster

We started our day doing Jammer. We hiked up to Angel Falls after logging the cache and we were not disappointed, with the recent water Angel Falls were flowing pretty good. We headed to Eustis after that and had a great day caching in the area. Throughout the day we saw 2 moose, one snake, 3 fox, several deer, otter, fish, chipmunks, squirrels, loons and many other birds. The weather was just right. We even got to meet kayaking loon.
    On our way home we caught some fireworks in Carabasset. It was a long day but it was one of the best caching days we have had in a long time.

Angel Falls (near Jammer cache)

MooseLook Cache

Son worked, great day at the camper with Francis Family after they came down from seeing the big parade in Bangor. Saturday was spend with friends and their families enjoying Fort Knox (caches previously done), and then sailing to Fort Point and teaching some more kids about Geocaching. A quiet day today, pool side and enjoying left overs! Not a lot of caching but a relaxing weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    Son worked, great day at the camper with Francis Family after they came down from seeing the big parade in Bangor. Saturday was spend with friends and their families enjoying Fort Knox (caches previously done), and then sailing to Fort Point and teaching some more kids about Geocaching. A quiet day today, pool side and enjoying left overs! Not a lot of caching but a relaxing weekend.
    It's good at your age not to overdo

A picture's worth a thousand words...lol As you can see...I couldn't help but Totally enjoy cache GC12GE3. We camped in NH over the Holiday and got in many great caches. Travelled tens of miles of backcountry dirt roads....followed moose that wouldn't get out of the way...watched a Black Bear and her cubs play on a grassy slope and regretted not bringing the kayaks this trip. The family was disappointed too, While my truck meets the length requirements for Mt. Washington, my mirrors and kayak rack kept it from happening this trip. Northern NH is Truly a gorgeous area for geocaching. I found the fuel 9cents cheaper per gallon and got additional savings thanks to Shaw's and Irving.
    I'm just nuts about geocaching!!

Quote Originally Posted by vicbiker View Post
    It's good at your age not to overdo
    Yes you are right! Thank you Vic ~ have you every tried one of those noodle chairs in a pool? Delightful ~ with a sippy quart container filled with ice and a beverage!

Resting for the Tread Lightly, I hope!

It was my weekend to work
    Friday 7 pm to 7 am
    Saturday 7 pm to 7 am
    Sunday 7pm to 7 am