vb:literal>

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What did you do on the Fourth

What did I do on the 4th . . . geez, that was three days ago and I have a hard enough time remembering what I had for breakfast yesterday . . . wait a minute, now I remember . . . a McDepot (kind of like an Egg McMuffin only made by the folks at the Depot General Store.)

I think I puttered around the house and then one of my wife's friends came over and I cooked up some steaks, steamed some corn and enjoyed swimming in the pool . . . basically a no-frills, do-nothing, go-nowhere, see-no one sort of day . . . it was a good day.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

My in-laws gave Pedalchick and me a trip to Colorado for Xmas, so the four of us spent the week in Avon, just down the valley from Vail. On the 3rd, we saw the biggest fireworks show in Colorado, right in Avon. On the 4th we were in Beaver Creek and saw that show too. I've got good in-laws too, they are into caching so it didn't feel like I was dragging them around to get that "just one more" cache

We were in Riverton Nj for the 4th of July (my inlaws). This little town is across the river from Philadelphia and does the 4th in a big way. Every house is decorated with flags and red white and blue os every where you turn. Most of the people that come to the parade dress in red white and blue. The parade still has decorated bicycles and community floats. They throw candy and the fire engines are shiny.

There is a lot of pride in our country out there.

We spent July 2 & 3 in Gettysburg PA. We can all be proud of the role the 20th Maine and Joshua Chamberlain played at the battlefield. The area is just fascinating and we completely enjoyed the scenery and monuments. July 4th we visited Heritage Days in Fredericksburg VA and visited the site of "The Dig" at Ferry Farm. Last week came the announcement that archaelogists had found Geroge Washington's boyhood home so we went for a looksee. We paid $3.87 a gal for gas in VA - 20 cents cheaper than Maine.

On another note - we're never ever driving through New York City (Geo Washington Bridge) again. Took a 2 hour detour around that nut farm on our way home and it was well worth it. Glad to be home again []
    If you want to try cross country skiing, start with a small country

We went to Round Pond for the parade. We geocached before and after, we had a great time. Saturday we cached down to Port Clyde after work. On Sunday, I took my Dad out caching with us in Rockland. I think he's hooked.

Quote Originally Posted by pjpreb View Post
    On another note - we're never ever driving through New York City (Geo Washington Bridge) again. Took a 2 hour detour around that nut farm on our way home and it was well worth it. Glad to be home again []
    We should all go over the Geo. Washington at least once a year...that way we appreciate all the more what we have here.

Quote Originally Posted by balinda View Post
    There is a lot of pride in our country out there.
    Even though I do a lot of complaining about all the greed going on in this country, like tonights evening news about giving eight year olds cholesterol medicine, there's no place else I rather be.

The dietary intake of folks in America is horrid. Vicbiker - you and I both know - neither you or I would be able to say no or not eat what was placed in front of us for food as a child. Today, that is not that case. They eat what they want and desire and refuse what they do not want. AND - what is home cooked, grown, or prepared today. Little!!!! If it doesn't come out of the frozen food section or the pre-made second of the store - it's not food.

I say - to heck with food stamps - go back to supporting the farmers and American economy! Go back to distributing surplus food commodities such as canned hams, canned beans, processed cheese, peanut butter, butter, pasta, and many of the other food staples which were part of the USDA food distribution program. Hummm, out troops are eating well balanced diets on MREs - what's wrong with this picture?

Goods from the USDA program, well used, could provide a pretty good diet - but there were no great snacks or high end eats. Many day cares used these for nutricious and healthy lunches and snacks.

I agree with Vicbiker - no place I would rather be - I just wished some of the folks here would realize how really lucky they are...........just do one mission trip........it's an eye opener!

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    The dietary intake of folks in America is horrid. Vicbiker - you and I both know - neither you or I would be able to say no or not eat what was placed in front of us for food as a child. Today, that is not that case. They eat what they want and desire and refuse what they do not want. AND - what is home cooked, grown, or prepared today. Little!!!! If it doesn't come out of the frozen food section or the pre-made second of the store - it's not food.

I say - to heck with food stamps - go back to supporting the farmers and American economy! Go back to distributing surplus food commodities such as canned hams, canned beans, processed cheese, peanut butter, butter, pasta, and many of the other food staples which were part of the USDA food distribution program. Hummm, out troops are eating well balanced diets on MREs - what's wrong with this picture?

Goods from the USDA program, well used, could provide a pretty good diet - but there were no great snacks or high end eats. Many day cares used these for nutricious and healthy lunches and snacks.

I agree with Vicbiker - no place I would rather be - I just wished some of the folks here would realize how really lucky they are...........just do one mission trip........it's an eye opener!
    There's a lot of wisdom under those gray hairs....just one of the reason I think the world of you.

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post

There's a lot of wisdom under those gray hairs....just one of the reasons I think the world of you.