vb:literal>

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cell Phone Coverage

Can you hear me now?
    I'd really rather not cache, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion!

String is a great item to take on a night cache. We had a multi night cache down here that had firetacks to lead you off the trail into the woods but there were none to get you back out again. I had a 500 foot piece of string wound on a kite winder that I used as a guide to get back out. I would tie it to a tree as I started in and unwound it as I went to the micro, then I wound it up on the way back out. I know I am crazy! I guess that you realize by now that I was doing this alone, too. All I can say is that it was "interesting".

A house is not a home without a cat.

d’76 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sabby View Post
    String is a great item to take on a night cache. We had a multi night cache down here that had firetacks to lead you off the trail into the woods but there were none to get you back out again. I had a 500 foot piece of string wound on a kite winder that I used as a guide to get back out. I would tie it to a tree as I started in and unwound it as I went to the micro, then I wound it up on the way back out. I know I am crazy! I guess that you realize by now that I was doing this alone, too. All I can say is that it was "interesting".
    I have done night caches like that before but I just used the breadcrumb trail on my gps to get me back out

Quote Originally Posted by Gob-ler View Post
    Can you hear me now?
    Sure can - "Over!"

And for the other posts - breadcrumbs or string - as long as I get out - that's what's important!

Quote Originally Posted by Sabby View Post
    If there were no cell phones and you were out in the middle of the Maine woods would you expect to find a pay phone on a tree??

Why expect more from a cell phone.

. . .
    This reminded me of something I saw while riding above the Airline on an ATV trail . . . wish I had a picture of this . . . but anyways I was riding along a ridge when our group stopped for pics and to read a sign that read "Cell Phone Booth". Turns out that this stop in the middle of nowhere gets great cell phone reception.

Ironically, across the road someone hung two cans on a string along with another sign . . . something witty . . . I just can't remember what it said though.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

We recently switched from AT&T or CIngular to TMobile. I am much happier with the coverage of TMobile. I am mostly on the coast. I checked the coverage maps before I purchased. I don't rely on my cell phone for the most part when outside urban areas.

Quote Originally Posted by balinda View Post
    We recently switched from AT&T or CIngular to TMobile. I am much happier with the coverage of TMobile. I am mostly on the coast. I checked the coverage maps before I purchased. I don't rely on my cell phone for the most part when outside urban areas.
    T-Mobile is still expanding their coverage in Maine. Because they located a call center here, they want a large presence in the area.

With Verizon buying Unicel, things will get better but no company can go without holes. Right now if you have Verizon above Brunswick, chances are you are roaming off the US Cellular network as they are the only other CDMA carrier.

Tmobile primarily uses the Unicel network but from what I understand, they strictly enforce their 50/50 usage rule where at least 50% of your usage has to be on their home network. Problem is, they don't have much of a "network" in Maine yet. If you aren't in Houlton, Waterville area, or Bangor, you aren't going to be picking up a Tmobile tower. I guess as long as you are on a Nationwide plan, it wont much matter. Unicel has the prominant GSM network and still will until late spring when things begin to convert over. Don't worry about the GSM network going away once Verizon takes over. As far as we've been educated, the network wont be degrading as it pulls in a lot of roaming income.
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry

Default My Electronic Leash

The nature of my job is such that I'm glued to a cell phone almost 24 hrs, a day in case I get called out. I haven't upgraded to anything like a blackberry or G1, but one of my crazy co-workers did. Crazy until he showed me the program he downloaded that allows him to go online from his phone and get all the info for the closest 10 caches to his location. Now, being a gadget geek, I need that phone!!
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

Quote Originally Posted by fins2right View Post
    The nature of my job is such that I'm glued to a cell phone almost 24 hrs, a day in case I get called out. I haven't upgraded to anything like a blackberry or G1, but one of my crazy co-workers did. Crazy until he showed me the program he downloaded that allows him to go online from his phone and get all the info for the closest 10 caches to his location. Now, being a gadget geek, I need that phone!!
    I just upgraded to a Blackberry this past week and I am very inpressed with it. I got it on a trial and I am going to keep it. For what I do I need it. It may not be for everyone else. It is a little more complicated then the basic phone but then again it does 100 times more then what a basic phone does.
    Blazing Troll