vb:literal>

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: ATV trail tracks?

Maybe you could work out a deal to do some plowing for your landlord

I've got some tracks for rides we've done between Grand Lake Stream, Duck Lake/Nicatous/Upper Sabao, Deer & Eagle Lake, Mopang Lake, and the Airline Snack Bar in the last few weeks. The tracks don't cover all the trails in that area but would give someone a good idea of where the main ones are. These are some good trails with a fair amount of variety and nothing very hard... but... there aren't a ton of caches along the way.
    How come we choose from just two people to run for president and 50 for Miss America?

Someone mentioned Menace66's rails to trails caches... is that a typo? I can't find that username on GC.com. I hadn't come across those yet but they sound interesting.

I've found lately that it's easier to go for an atv ride with caches for the area in my GPS, in case I get close to some, rather than try to specifically combine a cache and atv run. Good trail info (read maps or tracks) around my area, especially east, just isn't available to easily base a cache run on atv trails... but other areas are a different story. I've started to make maps just from riding and tracking on my own.

Take a look at www.atvmaine.org. That site lists club info by area, among a ton of other stuff, and often has links to a club's website. I've even found a couple club websites by searching the web for their name as ATV Maine didn't have a link yet. Many, but not all, clubs have maps online. BTW... if you haven't joined your local club you should consider it.
    How come we choose from just two people to run for president and 50 for Miss America?

d’76 Guest

Heres menaces profile. This should get you started

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?g...c4a8b1f43&ds=2

Thumbs up Take Mom on An ATV Ride LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by dave1976 View Post
    Heres menaces profile. This should get you started

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?g...c4a8b1f43&ds=2
    This family used to cache as menace66......they are now officially Maine Family. (Caps required and a space sensitive) Same folks, same caches/cache finds, different user ID. They have many out from Corinna right up through.

And the fog of confusion lifted, and there was light....

Quote Originally Posted by bgrffdave View Post
    And the fog of confusion lifted, and there was light....
    20 years as a PI - maybe, a second career?

Someone mentioned Menace66's rails to trails caches... is that a typo? I can't find that username on GC.com. I hadn't come across those yet but they sound interesting.

I've found lately that it's easier to go for an atv ride with caches for the area in my GPS, in case I get close to some, rather than try to specifically combine a cache and atv run. Good trail info (read maps or tracks) around my area, especially east, just isn't available to easily base a cache run on atv trails... but other areas are a different story. I've started to make maps just from riding and tracking on my own.

Take a look at www.atvmaine.org. That site lists club info by area, among a ton of other stuff, and often has links to a club's website. I've even found a couple club websites by searching the web for their name as ATV Maine didn't have a link yet. Many, but not all, clubs have maps online. BTW... if you haven't joined your local club you should consider it.
    Sounds like you're all set with Menace66/Maine Family . . . they've placed some great caches along the Newport to Dover-Foxcroft rail trail . . . quite a few of them actually. The one thing I noticed when I found these caches (all by walking instead of riding incidentally . . . even though I've been on this trail countless times by ATV) is that many of the spots they brought me to were views or spots I didn't notice when I was concentrating on driving the ATV. If you go however go early (ideally to catch the morning dew) or right after a rain storm as this trail gets very, very dusty (eye protection is definitely recommended.) I usually head up and eat at the Bear's Den before fueling up at the Irving and heading back . . . good half day ride.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    That would definitely be fun! I think I've got some old tracks from some jeeping journeys around greenville area, and some of the ones around Mt. Pisgah, and the ORCA caches (except fort he wandering ORCA) are near some nice trails. As for the ATV rides, I would buy one, but I'm not sure how my landlord would feel about me keeping a wheeler on the deck...
    Your landlord will never know . . . I mean how could he find out? Just park it up there and throw a cover over it . . . if he asks you can tell him it's a gas grill under the cover.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

Maybe you could work out a deal to do some plowing for your landlord

I've got some tracks for rides we've done between Grand Lake Stream, Duck Lake/Nicatous/Upper Sabao, Deer & Eagle Lake, Mopang Lake, and the Airline Snack Bar in the last few weeks. The tracks don't cover all the trails in that area but would give someone a good idea of where the main ones are. These are some good trails with a fair amount of variety and nothing very hard... but... there aren't a ton of caches along the way.
    You know in all seriousness I use my ATV for both work and play . . . probably about 60/40% work/play ratio. For the past seven or eight years I've plowed my driveway with the ATV (you do learn to push the banks way back early in the year though since the ATV just doesn't have the weight to wing back the banks when they firm up), haul dirt/branches/firewood in the trailer and use it for a variety of other chores.

Quote Originally Posted by dave1976 View Post
    As much as I like to ride my ATV and it is very easy to not get caught I wouldnt recommend riding where you are not supposed to since all it will do is make it tougher one all of us later. ATVers already have enough of a bad reputation we dont need more laws making it tougher to have a nice ride. Stay on the marked trails and off the unmarked trails and with time the state will work with us and help us instead of make more laws to keep us at home. While you might not get caught you will leave tracks in the road or where ever that will tell the tale of irresponsible cachers/ ATVers. This is a bad idea and I am hoping that some of the other local cachers and ATVers will chime in here. Please stay on the marked trails.
    Agreed . . . as tempting as it is to go off-trail in remote areas and think that just one ATV going off trail will not make much of a difference I try to tell folks that this just isn't the case.

Some examples of how just one ATV going off trail could possibly alter things.

A landowner has agreed to allow ATVs to use a portion of his land as a trail even though he has had some reservations about ATVs and their reputation for being rough on land (i.e. spinning, mudholes, etc.) He has asked that the ATVs stay on the trail system and not venture off trail since he has some seedlings, cropland, blueberry barrens, etc. on the property. Most every ATVer follows the rules . . . but one . . . and that is the one ATV that the landowner happens to see running over their seedlings, cropland, blueberries, etc. . . . before you know it the trail is closed and the club is back to square one to getting a re-route established.

Scenario #2: Same situation as the first but let's say there isn't even any valuable cropland, seedlings, etc. to worry about. The reluctant landowner however agrees to allow ATVs to cross his property on a trial basis. Once again, folks follow the rules to staying on trail, but the one ATVer that decides to take a shortcut across a field or by the owner's house is the one ATV spotted by the landowner . . . now the landowner begins to wonder if other ATVs aren't doing the same thing and before you know it the trail is closed.

The best way to get more trails here in Maine is to follow the rules and stay on the trail system. Yes, sometimes it is inconvenient, but because more and more folks are riding responsibly we're seeing more and more landowners agreeing to open their land to trails . . . here where I live we've had two landowners surprise us by allowing us to open a trail. Both were vehemently against ATVs -- and in fact one had a kid on an ATV trash his bucket loader years ago . . . but still he agreed to give us a chance. Since this one landowner owns a sizeable portion of land needless to say we're very quick to respond to his concerns when we hear of ATVs going off trail.

Some folks could say that things are different in a remote area. Maybe true . . . but once again it only takes one ATV doing the wrong thing to ruin the trail for everyone.

OK . . . enough preaching . . . I suspect that many of us (myself included) have in the past not known enough to stay on trails so we're all guilty . . . and as such no one should feel embarrassed or ashamed . . . it's all just part of the learning process and from what I've seen of the geocachers/ATVers here we're all pretty responsible for the most part and no one has ever intentionally done something wrong.