vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ATV trail tracks?

Hybrid View

Default ATV trail tracks?

are there any GPS tracks for ATV trails available. it would make combining a ride and caching easier

d’76 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by chief613 View Post
    are there any GPS tracks for ATV trails available. it would make combining a ride and caching easier
    If you are looking for a good atv ride and cache run, Menace66's rails to trails caches are great. I didnt understand them much when I was doing them in a vehicle but when I got on the rails to trails on the atv it made much more sense. THat is a good run that you can do run Corrina to Dover and beyond

Quote Originally Posted by dave1976 View Post
    If you are looking for a good atv ride and cache run, Menace66's rails to trails caches are great. I didnt understand them much when I was doing them in a vehicle but when I got on the rails to trails on the atv it made much more sense. THat is a good run that you can do run Corrina to Dover and beyond
    Thanks, i was actually lookin that over the other day, looks great. im assuming that the trails are flat gravel trails? Is it something that can be done in a day? or a weekend? sounds like fun

d’76 Guest

Thanks, i was actually lookin that over the other day, looks great. im assuming that the trails are flat gravel trails? Is it something that can be done in a day? or a weekend? sounds like fun

If you got there kinda early and made casual day of caching out of it it would be lots of fun to do. It should only take a day and the trials are all very nice riding except in some places the trail is coal ash so if you are the 2nd or thrid guy you get real dusty. Bring something to cover your eyes and mouth.

Flat . . . and boring . . . (but then again it's probably because I've done this ride so many times). As Dave said most of the trail is gravel . . . your best bet as Dave also mentioned is to get there early and if you're in a group volunteer to be the leader or make sure you have good eye protection . . . some folks also wear dust masks since this trail kicks up a lot of dust.

The trail can easily be done in less than a day and if you're caching as you go it will break up the ride and provide some naturally occuring breaks for any non-geocachers in the group.

There are several places to eat at trail's end in Dover-Foxcroft. I often gas up at Irvings and eat at the Bear's Den.

----

There are a few other places that you can ride and cache as well . . . you just won't nab as many caches. A good, long ride can be done from the Airline Snack Bar to Grand Lake Stream. EMSDanel has placed a cache in Grand Lake Stream . . . and depending on your route to and from the town you can grab some caches along the way (at least one was placed by EvilHomer).

There are also a lot of caches along ATV trails in the County . . . honestly while I haven't been all over Maine riding in the County is one of my favorite places to ride. It's a long ride (even from where I live), but it is well worth the time. My only issue is when I get there I'm always torn by my desire to do as much ATVing and as much geocaching as I can . . . there's just not enough time to do both.

And of course I've got to mention that if you're not a mileage hound you can grab two or three caches if you're riding in the Troy/Jackson area as I've got a few caches located off the trails here.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Flat . . . and boring that's actually what I'm lookin for, new to tail riding, is there any restrictions for 2 people on a one up machine, i have heard there are some in other part of the country and some trail systems. Thanks for the additional info, sounds great

d’76 Guest

Flat . . . and boring that's actually what I'm lookin for, new to tail riding, is there any restrictions for 2 people on a one up machine, i have heard there are some in other part of the country and some trail systems. Thanks for the additional info, sounds great
    Leave it to Jake for not paying attenion. I knew exactly what you where looking for. You will enjoy this ride and especially with a rider. Connie rides on the back of my atv all the time. This trail would be a great starter. The other good one would be the Rail bed form Lagrange to Schoodic for a swim and a great veiw of Mt. Katadin. Bring a lunch. Round trip is about 53 miles. We should all plan a day trip or even a Friday trip. Let me know, I'm game.

Ah . . . you're a wise one Chief . . . always good to start out on easy trails and learn. Hopefully you also didn't make the newbie mistake and go out and buy the biggest, baddest ATV you could find.

Since you're a beginner then I would say the Newport to Dover trail would be perfect for you . . . there are actually some nice views in places (i.e. beside the lake in Newport) and thanks to Menace66's caches you will stop in some places that I never noticed before while cruising by on the ATV . . . definitely take the time to stop and check out his caches and views. As I said once you get past the Irvings in Dover (you have to drive over an old -- and high -- railroad bridge to get there -- but fear not as it is now well planked and has railings -- something it didn't have when I first rode this trail) you want to go behind Irvings and follow the trail until you reach the T-intersection . . . I would then recommend going right and heading down the trail to the Bear's Den for a nice lunch. A word of caution . . . while this trail is flat there may be wash-outs, bumps, potholes, etc. and at the start of the trail and in Dexter there are lots of road crossings so just exercise some caution.

In answer to your question . . . yes . . . you can ride two-up on a one-person ATV . . . it just throws the weight balance off a bit. Usually this isn't a real issue as long as you get used to the extra weight and compensate for it with regard to breaking, navigating uneven terrain, etc. I would assume you also have a back seat/compartment attached to the ATV since your rider would find riding on the hard plastic or little bit of the seat behind you quite hard . . . if so make sure the seat/compartment is secured well to the ATV. Some folks also add foot pegs to this seat/compartment for added comfort for the rider if they're short-legged.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

You might find some individual clubs offer GPSed tracks available for download . . . but it would be a matter of contacting the various clubs and seeing if they have GPSed tracks available.

Every Club that is incorporated and funded by Maine's ATV Program should have a GPSed track of their trails . . . it's required to qualify for grants. However, not all may have them available for download . . . Maine's ATV program is still in its infancy . . . well maybe toddler stage right now . . . progress is being made, but it's slow.

Barring this . . . you might want to try asking for tracks to a specific area at various BBS sites such as this one . . . for example Brdad has some tracks from a few years back. Sites such as ATVTime.com, ATVAlliance.com, etc. may also have members with tracks that they can send to you.

ORCAs - calling all ORCAs - will there be - WILL there be a Tread Lightly Event this year? When, where, pleassseeee - let us know. I am anxiously awaiting to know as I have the 4 runner and Jake taught me what it might do. Pleasssseee!