vb:literal>

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ATV trail tracks?

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    Thank you for all that you guys do in the County . . . definitely one of my favorite places to ride.

I'll never forget my first riding experience in the County. Met up with a guy I met on-line from Washburn -- Roger Hewitt (aka Chief Wiggim.) Rog brought us up the RR line one day to Van Buren . . . when he turned on to the sidewalk I thought for sure he was going to get us in trouble . . . especially when a police officer drove by . . . but then the police officer just waved to us . . . such a different experience . . . such a nice experience. The next day we went down to Mapleton and the trails at Squa Pan. On other trips we have rode to Mars Hill and then further down to have lunch at the Blue Moose . . . trailered up to St. Agatha and rode to Fort Kent . . . can't say as though I've ever ridden on a bad trail in the County . . . in any season -- winter or summer.

Next time you're up in the Caribou area, let me know.

We ride the Bingham trails and there are a lot of caches "off" of the trails, I like to "stay on the trails" so I don't do as many as I would like...plus I'm a passenger so I can't always convince racatv to stop for me.

Quote Originally Posted by racatv View Post
    We ride the Bingham trails and there are a lot of caches "off" of the trails, I like to "stay on the trails" so I don't do as many as I would like...plus I'm a passenger so I can't always convince racatv to stop for me.
    when you say off the trails, are they still within a couple hundred yard that one could walk. We are pretty new to trail riding, are the trails safe enough for 2 people on a one up machine and an aftermarket seat?Yesterday was our first trip with both of us on the machine, all was good
    We did Dover Foxcroft to Newport yesterday, yes it is a "boring" trail, but nice scenery and a great place to pick up a bunch of caches and a comfortable ride, we had a great time

PS i did make a track from Rt2 in Newport to Irvings in DoverFoxcroft, but have no idea how to post it, if anyone is interested

Well some are pretty far off but you can ride to them, I think you'ld be ok. There aren't a lot of rangers up there although i did see one last weekend. Fosters solitude was pretty far off but we rode right up to it, must do for the fall, bring a picnic, nice lunch spot. Deathwish was crazy, we rode to that one too, and it still is a spot we ride to everytime we go out, a very difficult dangerous cache but an awesome spot. Foss Pond was nice and there was a very fun micro right on the trail "Where are we are you lost placed a micro?" was the name. I liked that one. If you need camping/lodging info we've stayed all over the place up there, let me know. There are also some on the Binghan Rail trail too...very nice rail trail, I just don't remember their names. We also have GPS waypoints but I don't know how to send them out, maybe I could get racatv to help me but he's sort of getting aggrivated with me and this sport..is this also normal? Thanks..racatv..wife

I didn't answer your question, yes everyone rides double up there. We do have a nice legal 2 up...which I HIGHLY recommend. But don't worry about any of that. We did 84 miles last Sat....and no caching...but had a great day. It is so awesome up there. We rode out of Abbot this time, very nice. Need more info let me know. racatvs...wife

d’76 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by racatv View Post
    Well some are pretty far off but you can ride to them, I think you'ld be ok. There aren't a lot of rangers up there although i did see one last weekend. Fosters solitude was pretty far off but we rode right up to it
    As much as I like to ride my ATV and it is very easy to not get caught I wouldnt recommend riding where you are not supposed to since all it will do is make it tougher one all of us later. ATVers already have enough of a bad reputation we dont need more laws making it tougher to have a nice ride. Stay on the marked trails and off the unmarked trails and with time the state will work with us and help us instead of make more laws to keep us at home. While you might not get caught you will leave tracks in the road or where ever that will tell the tale of irresponsible cachers/ ATVers. This is a bad idea and I am hoping that some of the other local cachers and ATVers will chime in here. Please stay on the marked trails.

Quote Originally Posted by dave1976 View Post
    As much as I like to ride my ATV and it is very easy to not get caught I wouldnt recommend riding where you are not supposed to since all it will do is make it tougher one all of us later. ATVers already have enough of a bad reputation we dont need more laws making it tougher to have a nice ride. Stay on the marked trails and off the unmarked trails and with time the state will work with us and help us instead of make more laws to keep us at home. While you might not get caught you will leave tracks in the road or where ever that will tell the tale of irresponsible cachers/ ATVers. This is a bad idea and I am hoping that some of the other local cachers and ATVers will chime in here. Please stay on the marked trails.
    which is how the ORCAs actualy got started, with the help of the Tread Lightly events (www.treadlightly.org)
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by chief613 View Post
    when you say off the trails, are they still within a couple hundred yard that one could walk. We are pretty new to trail riding, are the trails safe enough for 2 people on a one up machine and an aftermarket seat?Yesterday was our first trip with both of us on the machine, all was good
    We did Dover Foxcroft to Newport yesterday, yes it is a "boring" trail, but nice scenery and a great place to pick up a bunch of caches and a comfortable ride, we had a great time

PS i did make a track from Rt2 in Newport to Irvings in DoverFoxcroft, but have no idea how to post it, if anyone is interested
    In answer to your question . . . pretty much any trail here in Maine should be fine for two-up riding. While manufacturers do make ATVs specifically geared for two-up riding, with a little bit of skill most folks can and do ride two-up on a one-up ATV with an after-market seat. Most trails aren't so technical that they would make riding two-up in this manner dangerous . . . the biggest thing is watching your speed, watching the trail, etc.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

The more you get out riding, the more you'll notice how many do ride two-up on "one-up only" machines. Everybody doesn't sell those add on "rest seats" for solo riders!! I would say the thing you need to be the most careful of is climbing a steep hill. With the extra weight of a second person on a one-up machine usually behind the rear axle there is more risk of going over backwards on a steep climb.

I did the complete opposite of what Jake suggests, because I'm not known for being very bright, and ended up with one of the biggest two-up machines for our first atv... an Outlander Max 800! Now while we'd never had atv's before, I've had motorcycles & dirtbikes since I was a kid and have actually taken off road classes, including an atv class, before. I tend to believe that one should buy a little bit bigger machine than they think they need right off the bat provided they have the maturity and training to go along with it. An 800 is certainly a monster and deserves a healthy bit of respect but MAN is it fun (and carries two with gear effortlessly)!! We wouldn't have gone that big had it not been for my wife finding one of those deals you just can't pass up online.

As a new rider I've been a little frustrated at how hard it is just to get maps of some places let alone GPS tracks. The map issue is slowly getting better. As far as GPS tracks go I'm not holding my breath. Clubs that I've spoken to are not real interested in sharing the raw GPS data. I guess I can't blame them though. I can think of a million reasons why I would be very leary of letting my track data go public. Although in truth it's not like we all couldn't go make our own tracks, combine forces, and make our own maps.

Did someone say group ride??
    How come we choose from just two people to run for president and 50 for Miss America?

Quote Originally Posted by bgrffdave View Post
    Although in truth it's not like we all couldn't go make our own tracks, combine forces, and make our own maps.

Did someone say group ride??
    That would definitely be fun! I think I've got some old tracks from some jeeping journeys around greenville area, and some of the ones around Mt. Pisgah, and the ORCA caches (except fort he wandering ORCA) are near some nice trails. As for the ATV rides, I would buy one, but I'm not sure how my landlord would feel about me keeping a wheeler on the deck...
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.