vb:literal>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Five Star Rating

Quote Originally Posted by Team2hunt View Post
    I once had to swim out almost 200' and dive down 6' to retrieve a cache. The special equipment needed that day was a towel. It was October in NH.

And that was rated 2.5\2.5
    Somewhere in here is a Seinfeld joke about shrinkage and cold water.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957 View Post
    If a cache is on an island and you need a boat to get there it should get a 5. Now here in Maine that same island on a frozen lake may only rate a 2 depending on the walk. If that lake was in the south then a 5 would be appropriate all year round. Unless there are gators then it's an 8. If the cache is on the shore of a lake then technically you can walk to it from another part of the lake shore. This is where I would question what rating to give it. Many on remote lakes are not feasible to walk to. Clear as mud, right.
    I don't know . . . I did one cache that involved walking on some ice and the specialized equipment I could have used for that one would have been a) ice skates to get me there and back faster and safer since I kept falling down, b) ice crampons to keep me from falling or c) some water-proof boots since there was several inches of water on the ice in some places.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    . . . but most don't routinely haul around a kayak (and some would have to borrow one if they do not own one themselves), bring along climbing rope, ice crampons, diving equipment, spelunking gear, etc.
    I'll guess I'm an overachiever
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1528.JPG 
Views:	148 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	313  
    Happy Trails!

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957 View Post
    I'll guess I'm an overachiever
    Yeah, if one of the cache requirements is that you bring two micro-dogs with you, I suppose you've got that too

Default Micro-dogs

Quote Originally Posted by Sudonim View Post
    Yeah, if one of the cache requirements is that you bring two micro-dogs with you, I suppose you've got that too
    Better to have micro-dogs, than one of those off the shelf, like all the rest, regular-dogs.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Or a main dog and an emergency back-up dog
    If you want to try cross country skiing, start with a small country

Default Island Caches

Quote Originally Posted by Team2hunt View Post
    It's the terrain rating that needs to be a 5.

Due to the fact that " specialized " equipment is needed. That could be a boat, or even climbing
    ropes.

Here's the link: http://www.clayjar.com/gcrs/index.php
    So if a 5 minute kayak trip requires a 5 star rating, how come those on islands like North Haven don't? There you have to check ferry schedules, pay for a ticket, take the boat out, find the cache and catch the ferry before it leaves for the day. I was checking out some Stonington caches and several were way out on islands but they didn't have a 5 star rating. Just wondering.....
    "There is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats". Wind In the Willows

Quote Originally Posted by kayaking loon View Post
    So if a 5 minute kayak trip requires a 5 star rating, how come those on islands like North Haven don't? There you have to check ferry schedules, pay for a ticket, take the boat out, find the cache and catch the ferry before it leaves for the day. I was checking out some Stonington caches and several were way out on islands but they didn't have a 5 star rating. Just wondering.....
    Going by the GCRS, they should be a 5 terrain. I don't necessarily agree, but that's the way it is. According to that theory, all Austrailian caches should be a 5 terrain, too!

The ratings are subjective, and no one regulates their accuracy. At least using the GCRS, there is a minimal degree of standardization.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."