vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A couple of extremely newbie questions

Default A couple of extremely newbie questions

First off, I bought an entry level unit, a magellan triton 200. Will this be adaquet to get started, and if so, where in the heck can I find info on how to operate it! The factory site is no help, and the documentation it came with tells me nothing.

Second, I would like to know if I have a starting location, a bearing heading, and a distance to an object is there a program, or converter of some kind that will tell me what the ending location should be?

I am really lost on all this, and don't litterly want to be when I'm out in the field, lol. Any advse would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch.

Magellan? I think someone here uses one, but not me! Someone will speak up for you on that subject.

For your calculations, use Fizzy Calc! It's a small stand alone app that works great. Most GPSrs will do projections as well, but most are limited to increments of a mile, not precise distances.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Default getting started

Once you manually input the wayoints from the cache page.

ex. N43 25.051 W 072 14.560

This will tell you how far that point is from where you are standing. I'm not a Magellan user so I would guess like my Garmin, you can just follow the arrow. A good map and navigator will come in handy if on the road away from home. Otherwise look at tha map supplied by Geocaching.com and plan your route accordingly. You might want to start around your area, since the roads are familiar.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

You can download the manual here:

http://www.magellangps.com/assets/ma...00_UM_ENUK.pdf

A house is not a home without a cat.

This is a shameless thing to do but there is an EXCEL spreadsheet on the geocachingny web page called SABBY CALCS that might be of some help to you.

It is a pretty big spreadsheet so it might take a little time to come up.

Here is the link:

http://www.geocachingny.org/sabbycal.xls

Sabby, I knew that you are an Excel guru, but this is way cool. I can see breaking those hard caches with these tools (or making my own hard caches )

Sabby, I knew that you are an Excel guru, but this is way cool. I can see breaking those hard caches with these tools (or making my own hard caches )
    Be careful ! If you use the spreadsheet to encode using a keyword then the keyword will not decode it. (ie the codes are not reversable like the geocaching.com coding is).

Have fun with it though and let me know if something doesn't work

Quote Originally Posted by north View Post
    First off, I bought an entry level unit, a magellan triton 200. Will this be adaquet to get started, and if so, where in the heck can I find info on how to operate it! The factory site is no help, and the documentation it came with tells me nothing.

Second, I would like to know if I have a starting location, a bearing heading, and a distance to an object is there a program, or converter of some kind that will tell me what the ending location should be?

I am really lost on all this, and don't litterly want to be when I'm out in the field, lol. Any advse would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch.
    Just curious if you did any homework before deciding on your Magellan? I think with some forethought and looking at reviews and such you would have stayed away from Magellan. There usually is nothing but bad comments and reviews for anything regarding the Magellan. If it is not too late can you return the Magellan and maybe get the Garmin "H" series GPS unit? Just a thought. Good luck with the unit,you'll need it.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Thank you for the info everybody. Hopefully I can work everything out, and Haffy, I did do some homework but none of the reviews mentioned the criteria I was looking for. I wish I could have found a "live human" with some GPS experience to talk with first.

I started with A magellan triton 400 I bought at Wal-mart. I took it out once and put it back in the box and returned it to Wal-mart and bought a Garmin. Garmin are more accurate and much easier to use.