vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diamond Rings

Default Diamond Rings

In the beginning of our bike trip we would get up each morning and cook our breakfast.Usually oatmeal or some form of hot cereal.After a few weeks we started to get lazy and would ride to a gas station get a cup of coffee,then ride for a couple of hours,stop at a restaurant for breakfast.Besides not only having to cook ,it would break up the day.

One morning after riding for a couple of hours we came to a small mid western town.Most of these are all the same,you see a water tower in the distance and after what seems forever (on a bike)you get to the town.This is a few buildings along the railroad tracks,a grain elevator,bank,some kind of a farm store and if you are lucky a diner.This day we were lucky a diner was at the end of the main street,actually the only street.

The waitress that waited on us seem like she should have been in a I love Lucy episode.She was wearing a skirt and blouse that reminded me of Lucy.Her hair was up in rollers and was chewing gum.You could tell right off that she had been waitressing for a long time.I would say she was in her early fifties.She reminded me of my aunt Dot.when I was a kid.

After taking our orders she asked the usual questions,where are you going,where are you coming from,etc.But she also asks us why we were riding across the country.I told her our story of quitting smoking and taking up biking as a way to get some exercise.How we got addicticted to it especially the distance part of riding.How after a few small trips ,we decided to do the big trip.

I could tell she was impressed with want we were doing and after taking some other peple orders she came back to our table.She said she had a smoking story to tell us.Said that she and her husband have always been just poor working people all thier lifes.Both had smoke since they were kids.She said my husband was a wonder man and was always trying to buy her something nice for special occasions.Wouldn't you like to have a diamond ring for your birthday,or for christmas,or an anniversary.But she said that she always would talk him out of it explaining to him that the kids needed shoes or the car needed tires.Her eyes were getting teary as she told us this story.My husband die a few years ago,smoking related.After that I decided to stop smoking myself.I decided to put all the money I saved from smoking in a jar at home.When ever there is enough money in the jar to buy myself a diamond ring,I buy one.Holding up her hands so we could see them,she said.This way when ever I look at my hands I think of my wonderful husband.She was wearing five rings.

Nice Diamond Ring Story....

There are lots of peope in this world lives in thought of the partner who left them by doing some activity which their partner loved....

I enjoyed and learned to love in such a great way...

Thanks

Default Only a few

There are so few people who come into our lives that truly make us happy. We smile, laugh, and enjoy the lighter side of life with them. Vic thanks for sharing your stories with us.

Never take for granted a day, or a friendship.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Thanks for sharing this story Vic. When Ralph and I got married in 1982 - everyone (including my parents) said this would never work- it was his 4th (bless him, his first wife passed away after just a few years of marriage and 1 child with 2 who passed as well) and my 3rd. I am very proud to say, in March, we celebrated our 25th Anniversary. To us, despite his cancer diagnosis last May and many other bumps in and along life's road, life just keeps getting better. Our latest is the loss of our beloved dog Buford on Good Friday. I am sure an answer will come - we just need to listen to the whisper. Life is what you make it - if you want roses you need to understand there will be thorns along the way. If you want mushrooms - well then you will be under compost or hay.......so it's all about what you make it and how you deal with it all.

One of my most favorite quotes is from Garth Brooks and is:

"You can always smell the roses when you are running with them in your hand."

Seems that lately, with this and that and everything going on, there is not much time to smell the roses...

Vic, thanks for sharing this story, and Cache Maine, I like your quote.
    learn about diamond rings @ Rings R Us before you buy them.

Many people think diamond rings are just for young engaged people, but that is not true.
    learn about diamond rings @ Rings R Us before you buy them.

Smells of spam around here to me...
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    Smells of spam around here to me...
    Yeah, but the thread was already started which opened the door...

I forwarded the newcomer info to Rick to let him decide...