vb:literal>

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Owner Maintenance or Archived

Default Owner Maintenance or Archived

I am heading out to Monhegan this weekend and i looked at the two caches on the island. Both appear to have been muggles. One the owner has done no maintenance. It looks like Haffy went out in 2006 to fix this the last time.

The other cache on the island has been muggled the owner says it has been muggled but didn't archive it.

I have a new ammo can thank to the Slipping into summer event and a small lock n lock box.

Should I bring these out to do maintenance on these caches? Or should I create new caches? (land owner permission may be difficult on a two day trip)

balinda, excellent question!

I wish I had a definate answer for you, but I think that this is a really REALLY gray area. There are some caches near me that have not been maintained, so for the past 4 years, I have been doing what I can to preserve them because they are such awesome locations. I have tried repeatedly to adopt them to no avail. Just recently, I was told that these containers are not my property or the property of groundspeak and I also understand that if I want to have a cache in the area, I just need to wait for the ones there to deteriorate until they are archived due to no response from the owner. It's a catch 22 for sure. I sure wish there was a better way!

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by balinda View Post
    I am heading out to Monhegan this weekend and i looked at the two caches on the island. Both appear to have been muggles. One the owner has done no maintenance. It looks like Haffy went out in 2006 to fix this the last time.

The other cache on the island has been muggled the owner says it has been muggled but didn't archive it.

I have a new ammo can thank to the Slipping into summer event and a small lock n lock box.

Should I bring these out to do maintenance on these caches? Or should I create new caches? (land owner permission may be difficult on a two day trip)
    Not sure which cache you were referring to but a group of us went to Monhegan a couple of years ago and Brdad brought a nice new camoed ammo can to replace the one by the lighthouse and the other one was a large mortar tube that looked like it would hold up pretty good as well. If it were me and I could find both of them, I would just go ahead and replace them both if there were remnants of the others to justify them. Don't think you can adopt them without a direct response from the original owners. Maybe if you wanted you could place a couple of new ones on the island in another location but like you said how would you get permission? A tough call I guess.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

The two caches in question are the two physical caches.

Monhegan Magic (GC9216) by Anderson (2.5/5)

This is the cache we replaced, it has one DNF, but we looked for a few minutes and in a good sized search area before we found the cache, so it could still be there.

Monhegan Moonwatch (GCQ5M8) by Green Flashlight (2/2.5)

This one has been reported missing by the cache owner.

As far as what to do, that is up to you as Cache Maine noted. On one hand, it's nice that someone decides to help out. On the other hand, I hate when people hide caches they won't maintain. On the third hand, I hate to see classic caches go away.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Well, having enjoyed the ambiance of Monhegan - whow.......what would I say. GC9216 may indeed still be there - just missed my those who searched last. A nice ammo box and not a lot of places it could really go.

Moonwatch on the other hand, being confirmed as missing by the owners (who it looks like replaced it once before) is in a bit of a precarious location where it could have been dropped, muggled or just moved too.

Island folks may be playing here too - that is another consideration. But - as for maintenance - stop and think you fix it - but who is next? Catch 22 here - and, landowners permission for the cache? Has that been obtained or is that, perhaps why they are gone? Certainly a consideration.

Enjoy your visit to the island - one of the highlights of my life. Never would I have enjoyed this without Geocaching. A very fond memory. There will be the Sheridan which you can do and then perhaps the others are just misplaced.

Good luck - but regardless - enjoy the journey.

I may sound like an ogre but if it has not been found several times and has not been maintained I think you should log a "Should be archived" on GC.com. The reviewer will contact the owner and if there is no reply it will get archived. Then you can place a new cache there, with owner permission, of course.

A house is not a home without a cat.

Yup, Sabby - this sounds good........the owner pemission on a one day, one time, trip to Monhegan may be the problem. Well, laid plans, however, might be rewarded. Perhaps, balinda could talk with some folks on the island to ask about land ownership, lay some ground work - and ensure the caches are missing. Maybe even generate an "islander" who would welcome cachers. Time will tell. All suggestions are good.

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    The two caches in question are the two physical caches.

Monhegan Magic (GC9216) by Anderson (2.5/5)

This is the cache we replaced, it has one DNF, but we looked for a few minutes and in a good sized search area before we found the cache, so it could still be there.

Monhegan Moonwatch (GCQ5M8) by Green Flashlight (2/2.5)

This one has been reported missing by the cache owner.

As far as what to do, that is up to you as Cache Maine noted. On one hand, it's nice that someone decides to help out. On the other hand, I hate when people hide caches they won't maintain. On the third hand, I hate to see classic caches go away.
    Uh, Dave . . . how many hands do you have? You haven't been drinking water from the Penobscot again have you . . . I mean this is the only thing I can think of to explain why you might have three hands.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    Well, having enjoyed the ambiance of Monhegan - whow.......what would I say. GC9216 may indeed still be there - just missed my those who searched last. A nice ammo box and not a lot of places it could really go.

Moonwatch on the other hand, being confirmed as missing by the owners (who it looks like replaced it once before) is in a bit of a precarious location where it could have been dropped, muggled or just moved too.

Island folks may be playing here too - that is another consideration. But - as for maintenance - stop and think you fix it - but who is next? Catch 22 here - and, landowners permission for the cache? Has that been obtained or is that, perhaps why they are gone? Certainly a consideration.

Enjoy your visit to the island - one of the highlights of my life. Never would I have enjoyed this without Geocaching. A very fond memory. There will be the Sheridan which you can do and then perhaps the others are just misplaced.

Good luck - but regardless - enjoy the journey.
    That day was a blast wasn't it . . . definitely a good memory. I still have a picture of the lighthouse hanging in my bathroom . . . I think back to Monhegan every time I'm doing some quality sitting in there.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    That day was a blast wasn't it . . . definitely a good memory. I still have a picture of the lighthouse hanging in my bathroom . . . I think back to Monhegan every time I'm doing some quality sitting in there.
    Yes, a great day with good friends! Memories to last a lifetime!