vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chick HIll and Atv Ride

d’76 Guest

Default Chick HIll and Atv Ride

There was a time when you could ride your atv from milford to Chick hill. I have found the trails on the atv trail map to get me to the base of chick hill but I dont know if you can ride to the top. Does anyone know if there is a legit atv trail to the peak?

Quote Originally Posted by dave1976 View Post
    There was a time when you could ride your atv from milford to Chick hill. I have found the trails on the atv trail map to get me to the base of chick hill but I dont know if you can ride to the top. Does anyone know if there is a legit atv trail to the peak?
    Don't hold me to it Dave, but about three years back a buddy of mine and I were four wheeling from the Airline Snack Bar to Nicatous . . . at least that was the plan, but somehow we got turned around and ended up following ATV signs right to Chick Hill. . . I can't recall if there were signs heading up the hill or not, but I do remember that just about everyone there was going up . . . and I almost think that were signs (but then again I have a pretty poor memory). At the time there were also several other ATVers there -- some had trailered to the area and were taking off from there.

There was another group of ATVers as well who were there . . . they were low on gas and my buddy and I were low on food . . . well actually we had no food and were quite hungry. Since we had extra gas and they had extra bologna and bread we made a swap . . . fuel for food. True story. However,things get even stranger . . . about a year or so later I ran into these very same people in the Litchfield Area as I (and them) were geocaching -- you see it was that ATV misadventure that caused me to go out and buy a GPSr so I wouldn't get lost while ATVing . . . and then of course I needed to justify the expense of buying a GPSr so I also took up geocaching as another hobby . . . I assume they did the same. Haven't run into those folks since then though. . . . if memory serves me correctly they have a camp somewhere down that way.

In any case, I took a look at my map that I have of the Sunrise Trail and the map I have doesn't show a legal ATV trail up Chick Hill . . . but I could of sworn that there were ATV signs leading us to and from there. Sorry I'm not much help.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

There are/were several ways to get from Stud Mill Road to Chick Hill. I made maps back when I started ATVing, and before riding was as limited as it is now.

There is a road you can drive to the top of Big Peaked. We took my truck up last 4th of July, it's a great spot to see the fireworks from Bar Harbor, Bangor, and other places. As far as I know, ATVs are still allowed.

Someone made a partial ATV trail up Little Peaked, but it's very steep, too much for the machine I had.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

d’76 Guest

OK, so yesterday we made for chick hill by way of the 22000 rd. Alot has changed out there since the last time I was out that way. I mean new roads, new gates. I was surprised by the lack of atv trail signs out on the trails. I know they where trails cause you could see the trails on the trail map. We did go to the top of chick hill, not sure if you are techinically supposed to but there where so many atvs going up and down, so I asked several of the locals and they all said yes it was allowed but soime signs from a local atv club would have been nice. We then follwed the atv trail over towards Morrison pond by way Sunkhase blueberry farms. We followed the trail a ways and a huge gate and severla monsterous boulders where blocking the way. I suspect someone got in there and ripped up the property.

Today we are heading out around the 24000 rd and Nicatous to see what kinds of new roads and gates we can find out there. MAybe even pick up a cache or two.

Quote Originally Posted by dave1976 View Post
    OK, so yesterday we made for chick hill by way of the 22000 rd. Alot has changed out there since the last time I was out that way. I mean new roads, new gates. I was surprised by the lack of atv trail signs out on the trails. I know they where trails cause you could see the trails on the trail map. We did go to the top of chick hill, not sure if you are techinically supposed to but there where so many atvs going up and down, so I asked several of the locals and they all said yes it was allowed but soime signs from a local atv club would have been nice. We then follwed the atv trail over towards Morrison pond by way Sunkhase blueberry farms. We followed the trail a ways and a huge gate and severla monsterous boulders where blocking the way. I suspect someone got in there and ripped up the property.

Today we are heading out around the 24000 rd and Nicatous to see what kinds of new roads and gates we can find out there. MAybe even pick up a cache or two.

Great trail report . . . personally I always enjoy riding on the Sunrise Trail -- a bit of something for everybody and every skill level. If you ever want to go for another ride sometime just give me a few days notice . . . I would love to go back and ride there again. A real nice change of pace is to go south from the Airline Snack Bar and go to Cherryfield . . . a few blueberry barrens and lots of woods trails and some areas with some fairly large rocks requiring a bit of rock climbing.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

d’76 Guest

So todays ride was ok. We unloaded at the 23000 rd and went to Deer lake on the 32000 rd. We had to cross the Studmill rd after a short cruise on some trails. The trail that we rode when we crossed the Studmill rd was terrible. It was a new trail about 5 years ago. I knew it needed some time to get broke it but this is terrible now. The trail was very narrow and sharp broken rocks everywhere. What used to be in the woods just off the Studmill road is now right under that big ass powerline they put up. The trail was only .4 miles to the next road where the riding was good. Lunch at Deer lake was great. There was a nice breeze to keep the bugs down. On the way back I made a smart choice but was not the best choice I suspect. The voice of reason came into my head and told me the fine I would pay for skipping that bad portion of trail and riding the Studmill rd for .4 miles would be significant less then any of the damage I would do to the atv dragging it over all those rocks. I was hoping that trail would have been better by now.

Ditto on the riding. When you go give me a heads up a few days in advance and we can hook up and make a day of it.

It's good to hear that other people are having trouble telling where trails are and aren't in that area... I'm not crazy!

My wife and I just got our first wheeler this spring... a LONG overdue purchase. I did the recommended thing and joined a club: Airline ATV Riders out in Eddington. In trying to get trail info for a number of areas, including around Chick Hill, I keep getting referred to the State ATV map. If you haven't seen it yet you're in for a disappointment. It's far too lacking in usable detail and doesn't even have parking areas so you could easily learn by exploration. The map itself even says it's more for reference and to contact local clubs. At least 1/3 of the clubs I've contacted say they're working on maps but to get a state map.

In talking with Airline club members recently going up Chick Hill is okay... but... apparently you're not supposed to park and unload in the parking area used by hikers and such now. Folks from the club told me that they unload down on the Stage Coach Road and ride up... where I don't know and up the road or some trail I'm not sure.

A bit off topic but... On a ride last Sunday, in the rain no less, we unloaded on the Stud Mill Road at the Horseback. There is a pit on the right (South side) of the Stud Mill Road. The trail crosses the road at that point and you can make a good little loop by Pickerel Pond, around by/up Chick Hill, and back to the pit... I'm guessing around 18-20 miles. All good trail. I was only able to track part of it on the GPS. On that ride I bumped into folks from the Airline Club and asked how to get from that area over to trails heading toward Deer and on up to Duck Lake. They said there wasn't a connector. I'm gonna have to go out and do some recon because I'm almost positive that I saw trails heading toward Pickerel and Chick Hill when I was out with my truck around Deer and Duck earlier this spring. Anyone know of trails to do this?
    How come we choose from just two people to run for president and 50 for Miss America?

d’76 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bgrffdave View Post
    It's good to hear that other people are having trouble telling where trails are and aren't in that area... I'm not crazy!

My wife and I just got our first wheeler this spring... a LONG overdue purchase. I did the recommended thing and joined a club: Airline ATV Riders out in Eddington. In trying to get trail info for a number of areas, including around Chick Hill, I keep getting referred to the State ATV map. If you haven't seen it yet you're in for a disappointment. It's far too lacking in usable detail and doesn't even have parking areas so you could easily learn by exploration. The map itself even says it's more for reference and to contact local clubs. At least 1/3 of the clubs I've contacted say they're working on maps but to get a state map.

In talking with Airline club members recently going up Chick Hill is okay... but... apparently you're not supposed to park and unload in the parking area used by hikers and such now. Folks from the club told me that they unload down on the Stage Coach Road and ride up... where I don't know and up the road or some trail I'm not sure.

A bit off topic but... On a ride last Sunday, in the rain no less, we unloaded on the Stud Mill Road at the Horseback. There is a pit on the right (South side) of the Stud Mill Road. The trail crosses the road at that point and you can make a good little loop by Pickerel Pond, around by/up Chick Hill, and back to the pit... I'm guessing around 18-20 miles. All good trail. I was only able to track part of it on the GPS. On that ride I bumped into folks from the Airline Club and asked how to get from that area over to trails heading toward Deer and on up to Duck Lake. They said there wasn't a connector. I'm gonna have to go out and do some recon because I'm almost positive that I saw trails heading toward Pickerel and Chick Hill when I was out with my truck around Deer and Duck earlier this spring. Anyone know of trails to do this?
    I found the trip around The horse back where you unloaded nice but was rather flustered when I saw that the blue berry fields road was gated where there was an evident trail and markings for atv. Huge gate I couldnt beleive how big this thing was. You can unload on the 23000 rd. I believe that is the Great Pond road and will take you over to the Airline dinner and all the way out around NIctous. Its a great ride. The trail around morrison pond is nice to and you can get there from the 23000 rd. I also a few weeks ago unloaded in Lagrange and hopped on the rail bed to head to schoodic. You can ride the rail bed almost to Jomary on Rt. 11. I find that atv map that I got at the sportsmen show usless as tits on a bull. I was a member of Airline ATV and found I spent money and could never talk to anyone when I needed help or advice. THe clubs are all run by local volunteers and they have full time jobs and families and try to ride once and awhile but around the Old Town area you are just so limited on where you can ride. Umaine has some great trails around campus but dont get caught. I think FFjake as nice trials down his way. If you come across trials that are spectaclular we should post them here somewhere so we can all enjoy them.

Good luck. Be prepared to take a wrong turn and have a local game warden give you hell and take everthing you own.

When you say the blueberry field gate are you talking about the one on the Horseback? If that's what you're referring to I ran into that too but... back a bit from that gate the atv trail turns off to the right as you're headed in. If you're talking about another one did you happen to waypoint the gate you ran into or could you give me a rough coord?

We stayed with some friends at a camp not far from the Morrison Ponds recently and we rode from their camp to Chick Hill and back. We didn't have time to explore around the ponds. The 23000 road, if it is actually the Great Pond Road, is only about 2.5 to 3 miles from where we rode and easily accessible from the Horseback loop. I could share the track I made of the Horseback Loop to compare it to where you've been. Those of us proficient with GPS's and sharing info could easily make a map light years faster than will be done otherwise. I appreciate the challenge of people in the clubs doing all the work as volunteers over and above their regular lives. The membership to Airline is only $25/year and I figure just to help out with club costs and trail work that's a fair price. Plus, part of the dues as I understand go to ATV Maine... and if anything is going to get done for ATVers in Maine it's going to take some muscle at that level. It's also been helpful to be able to say I belong to a club when I've talked to clubs from other areas to get info.

As far as bumping into a Warden, I'm not too worried. If I happen to get stopped by one, which is fairly unlikely if you're off the beaten path(s), I'm just going to pull out the state ATV trail map and say, "I'm doing the best I can when this is all I have to work with?"

While riding recently in the area of where we're talking I also saw signs for an outfit called Sustainable Forest Technologies. I later noticed that on the website for Downeast Wilderness Experience their campground map has trails/roads highlighted which I assumed to be ATV trails.
    http://www.dwecamping.com/maine-campgrounds.php
    The map has the following credit: "Above map is a detail from the Oct. 2006 ATV Trails map managed by Sustainable Forest Technologies".
    I'm in the process of trying to find out if I can get a copy of this SFT "map". Contact info for the SFT outfit is a little hard to find but I think I found a phone number today.
    How come we choose from just two people to run for president and 50 for Miss America?

I have an Oziexplorer track file of all the trails I mapped out with my GPSr, covering mostly the area of the Stud Mill Rd to the north, Rt. 9 to the south, Chemo Pond area to the west and Union River to the East. I have a few trails outside that area mapped, but I would gamble I didn't miss much within that area. I confronted some ATV clubs about my maps and they didn't seem too impressed so I never let them have them.

Anyway, I'd be willing to share with any of you three if you'd be interested. I mapped out all trails and roads - no indication or knowledge if they are legal for ATV or not. I'm not sure if I can convert it to other mapping programs, but I can try.

This is the file overlayed onto the Horseback quad map. The trail bgrffdave mentions bypassing the blocked off section of the blueberry fields is shown as well.

Last edited by brdad; 07-04-2008 at 08:23 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."