Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: RE: Heating Redux

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Brewer,ME
    Posts
    2,575

    Default We had to do something as well

    Our house was actually quite stingy on oil. 500 to 600 gal a year. We also bought a Quadrafire pellet stove. Their rating were quite good. I'm hoping to use around 3 to 4 tons of pellets and very little oil such as when we go away for a weekend. The model we got holds 80 pounds so I'm figuring a day and a half to two days on a fill. I am making a few other modifications to the house to help move the warmed air around. Such as a through the wall fan to bring air into the front room where Kathie works.
    Happy Trails!
    Yeah it's a Jeep thing!


  2. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    3,961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    I'm still north of Augusta!!!
    blah blah blah quit tryin to put a positive spin on it!!
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Unity, Maine
    Posts
    3,866

    Default

    At this point it doesn't look good if I want to go for one of the top brands for pellet stoves . . . Harmons are pretty much non-existent until March 2009 and the Quadrafires aren't available for install until December . . . and while I am positive that I could do the install the insurance company states that any heating appliance needs to be installed by a professional -- no DIY. Leaning now towards woodstoves or a wood boiler perhaps . . . seems as though folks aren't as crazy when it comes to installing these (perhaps too much work or folks don't have as easy access to a woodlot.)
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

    "Death is only one of many ways to die."

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Unity, Maine
    Posts
    3,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    blah blah blah quit tryin to put a positive spin on it!!
    Is the BIG MOVE still on for this coming weekend? Let me know when and where to meet . . . and if you would like me to bring the trailer.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

    "Death is only one of many ways to die."

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Bowdoinham, Maine
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    Other than the loud auger motor no other issues with the Englander? From what I've read at Hearth.com (I like to research things) the Englander is well-built and sold at Home Depots, hardware stores, etc. . . . my only concern is if it needs servicing . . . is it pretty easy to clean/service?
    We bought a small shop van to clean it out , easy enough. As far as servicing, we haven't needed any. The issue it had was taken care of by us. The web sight is supportive and the piece needed was sent within a few days.
    Slowly but surely

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    3,961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    Is the BIG MOVE still on for this coming weekend? Let me know when and where to meet . . . and if you would like me to bring the trailer.
    Too late Dave1976 beat ya too it. He said he would bring his trailer down, and I thought to myself, "that'd be great, we can move a couple peices of furniture up..." hah! He moved the whole apartment single handedly with both arms tied behind his back! (well, ok so it wasn't that easy) but we made two trips and magically everyting just ended up in bangor! Dave kinda spoiled the fun for everyone else that wanted to help us move... (I think everyone wanted to help so they could justify trailer purchases to their wives...)
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Unity, Maine
    Posts
    3,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    Too late Dave1976 beat ya too it. He said he would bring his trailer down, and I thought to myself, "that'd be great, we can move a couple peices of furniture up..." hah! He moved the whole apartment single handedly with both arms tied behind his back! (well, ok so it wasn't that easy) but we made two trips and magically everyting just ended up in bangor! Dave kinda spoiled the fun for everyone else that wanted to help us move... (I think everyone wanted to help so they could justify trailer purchases to their wives...)
    Man . . . I just wanted to cash in on the RR Square pizza offer that Steph mentioned.

    So does this mean you're now an official Bangor-ite? Should I warn anyone?

    And most importantly . . . what does this mean for this weekend's plans? If I remember correctly Steph was doing some conference or meeting or something?
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

    "Death is only one of many ways to die."

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    3,961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    Man . . . I just wanted to cash in on the RR Square pizza offer that Steph mentioned.

    So does this mean you're now an official Bangor-ite? Should I warn anyone?

    And most importantly . . . what does this mean for this weekend's plans? If I remember correctly Steph was doing some conference or meeting or something?
    sorry jake, dave and connie beat ya to the RR square pizza too...

    and I think were officiallay bangorians now... and don't warn anyone, I like the elemement of suprise...

    and the 8ball has not yet made plans for this weekend, I'll shake it up tomorrow and see what it says...
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

  9. #19
    dí76 Guest

    Default

    Connie and I where happy to help. It was fun. What are friends for? Dinner was awesome aswell. After making that bed fit upstairs I hope you stay for awhile. LOL

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Unity, Maine
    Posts
    3,866

    Default

    I'm now leaning more towards buying a woodstove due to the cost, availability and installation time (i.e. I can get a brand I want and have it installed before the Spring of 2009) and I kind of like the idea that I more or less control the cost of the fuel source (i.e. wood from the woodlot) vs. someone raising the price of the fuel.

    Any particular recommendations on brands and/or types? I've been doing quite a bit of research at hearth.com . . . but I'm always open to folk's opinions.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

    "Death is only one of many ways to die."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •