Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 82

Thread: paperless caching

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Boothbay, Maine
    Posts
    166

    Default paperless caching

    If I want to go paperless, what exactly do I need to do this? Include everything--particular type of GPS unit, other hardware, what to download etc.

    Right now, I am printing out each cache that I would like to do and punching each set of coordinates in each time. It seems like a lot of folks visit an area and go to every cache while they are there, which can be 10 at times. Do these people print out each and every one of those ahead of time or they must download those into their GPS ahead of time?

    Thanks for any information!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    So. China Maine
    Posts
    1,588

    Smile Paperless

    Save your pennies and buy a Garmin Colorado 400t. With the GSAK program, $25 for life, you can download 2000 caches into the unit in less then five seconds. And, here's the important part, besides steering you to the cache, all the info you've been printing up for each cache will be right on the screen for you. Includes the last five logs and the HINT! The 400 will cost a little over $500 but if you buy a Palm to help you go paperless you'll probably spend a couple hundred on that and those things don't like moisture or cold temps. If you're thinking you already have a GPS and don't need another, well think again because sooner or later you'll enjoy the security of having 2 units working for you. We have a Vista that we mostly use with NT Navigator which is the on-road program Nuvi's use to get you to the cache area. Good luck and happy caching! If you buy the Colorado, there are plenty of folks on this site that will help you learn the basics.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Solon, Maine
    Posts
    5,940

    Default

    Dubord mentioned a "high end" operation, but how much YOU want to spend really is the important factor.

    You need a PDA, which can be as cheap as $20 on eBay. Most people have CacheMate software ($8) on their PDA, and GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife - $25) on their computer.

    Here's a description of GSAK: "GSAK is the all in one Geocaching and waypoint management tool. Major features include: Multiple databases, sending/receiving waypoints to GPSr, Google maps, conversion to many mapping formats, PDA output (including CacheMate support), HTML output, extensive searching, macro support, backup and restore, distance/direction from other waypoints (including caches, locations, post codes) and much more. GSAK only runs on Windows operating systems (98, ME, NT, 2000, XP, Vista)"

    And a description of CacheMate: CacheMate™ is a database for tracking GPS cache hunts. You can store information about caches or benchmarks, decode hints, and transfer data between CacheMate and the MemoPad application.

    Paperless is the ONLY way to go! LOL!

  4. #4
    d’76 Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Dubord mentioned a "high end" operation, but how much YOU want to spend really is the important factor.

    You need a PDA, which can be as cheap as $20 on eBay. Most people have CacheMate software ($8) on their PDA, and GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife - $25) on their computer.

    Here's a description of GSAK: "GSAK is the all in one Geocaching and waypoint management tool. Major features include: Multiple databases, sending/receiving waypoints to GPSr, Google maps, conversion to many mapping formats, PDA output (including CacheMate support), HTML output, extensive searching, macro support, backup and restore, distance/direction from other waypoints (including caches, locations, post codes) and much more. GSAK only runs on Windows operating systems (98, ME, NT, 2000, XP, Vista)"

    And a description of CacheMate: CacheMate™ is a database for tracking GPS cache hunts. You can store information about caches or benchmarks, decode hints, and transfer data between CacheMate and the MemoPad application.

    Paperless is the ONLY way to go! LOL!
    I agree. Paperless is the only way to go. You guys did a great job discribing two very good systems. I would mention that GSAK is for the computer end of this and cachemate is for the palm.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Biddeford, Maine
    Posts
    311

    Default

    OK, here's my question then. I just started paperless caching. I really haven't gotten to use my new PDA yet (looooooong story ), a Palm Pilot Z22. I know how to enter the caching info into the PDA and my Garmin eTrex H, but then I'm still writing out on paper the caches that I want to go to and how to get from one cache to another (street directions and such). Am I missing the point?
    Oscilating between remarkable brillance and sheer stupidity with amazing regularity.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    1,972

    Default paperless.......

    Going paperless can be a wonderful experience, and also a little frustrating in the beginning. First you have to be a premium memeber of geocaching.com. Then you can make and receive PQ's, ( pocket queries ). This is the information necessary to start your paperless caching journey. You will also need one of the many downloadable software titles to manage your PQ's. I like many others use GSAK. Geocaching Swiss Army Knife.(gask.com) this will also allow you to download the waypoints directly into your GPS'r, with the appropriate cable, thus eliminating the manual entries. From here you will need to purchase a PDA. I have had the Zire 21 for a couple of years now and for an introductory unit it works just fine. So far your total investment should be......Premium Member 30.00 yearly, GSAK 30.00 membership, and around 100.00 for the PDA. Oh and I forgot, Cachemate. The software your PDA will need to run the information. I think I paid 8.00 for that. So far that's 168.00. If you need some of the other functions a PDA can give you, that might justify your spending the money.

    While the Colorado is a good unit and nice to have all of the info at your fingertips, the cost is sometimes just too much. If you really like caching, then paperless is the way to go. Hope this helps and I'm sure others will also help out here. Search the web for the best prices on a PDA.

    Good luck!
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Gainesville, Georgia
    Posts
    3,875

    Default

    If you are a premium member then you can go to google maps on the cache page and you will have all the caches in that area that you would like to cache in. With additional maps like City Navigator on your GPS you should be able to route to the cache directly.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

    The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Biddeford, Maine
    Posts
    311

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    If you are a premium member then you can go to google maps on the cache page and you will have all the caches in that area that you would like to cache in. With additional maps like City Navigator on your GPS you should be able to route to the cache directly.

    I am a premium member. I LOVE the Google maps feature. It's a little easier to plan out geocaches and how to get there from the previous geocache. I'm not sure I'm ready to spend the $90 on City Navigator, but perhaps I can put a text file on my PDA. I'll give it a shot.
    Oscilating between remarkable brillance and sheer stupidity with amazing regularity.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    1,972

    Lightbulb gas 4.11 a gallon......

    Quote Originally Posted by NativeMainer View Post
    I'm not sure I'm ready to spend the $90 on City Navigator, but perhaps I can put a text file on my PDA. I'll give it a shot.

    I have been using Mapsource and a good navigator for about 2 years now. Their resources have saved me countless miles and hundreds of dollars in gas. It's worth every penny to be able to plan for the days caches and then get to them, in the shortest amount of time and distance.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Cape Elizabeth, ME
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Another way to justify the expense of the PDA is to look at how much you would spend on replacing your printer cartridges from all the ink you use printing off the pages. In New Brunswick, it costs me over $70 to replace my cartridges. I just bought a refurb Palm Z31 off ebay for $50 including shipping and hope to start paperless caching as soon as I can get everything up and running.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •