vb:literal>

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: paperless caching

There is a great Nuvi macro if you use GSAK here:

http://pilotsnipes.googlepages.com/index.html

Also an advanced Nuvi macro by jjreds which you can find in the GC.com forums as well
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Thank you so much for all the great advice! My boyfriend actually has a Nuvi but I never knew it could be used for caching! We're going to start using it soon and I hope it's much better than the old Vista I had! I'll keep you all posted on how it goes.
    ~:Crunch:~

Gas to drive around town for 2 hours = $5Bologna, Cheese, Cabbage, Bread, 16 sets of beads, and 5 flashlights at Wal*Mart = $15
    Finding 12 geocaches and only getting stopped by the cops once = priceless

The NUVI is great for routing to the cache site but I would suggest to use the Vista for getting to the cache itself. The NUVI isn't really made for caching,I would hate to drop mine.

Drop a Nuvi - heck - mine took a header off the windshield in the sun the other day. The bracket - totally disenergrated (plastic broke around metal bar holding it on) - broken into pieces and I found the unit on the floor. The unit still works fine but a way to mount it - another problem.

Wrote Garmin and then are sending me a new mounting unit. Whew! I am thankful, too.

Same thing happened to mine a few days ago when caching around Greenville.....nothing broken though.

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    Drop a Nuvi - heck - mine took a header off the windshield in the sun the other day. The bracket - totally disenergrated (plastic broke around metal bar holding it on) - broken into pieces and I found the unit on the floor. The unit still works fine but a way to mount it - another problem.

Wrote Garmin and then are sending me a new mounting unit. Whew! I am thankful, too.
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

Just wanted to say thank you for all the help and suggestions! We took the Nuvi out caching last night and it was perfect! And having the Vista along with it made it seem so easy! Thanks to everyone who's helped me out - I'm loving this paperless caching!
    ~:Crunch:~

Gas to drive around town for 2 hours = $5Bologna, Cheese, Cabbage, Bread, 16 sets of beads, and 5 flashlights at Wal*Mart = $15
    Finding 12 geocaches and only getting stopped by the cops once = priceless

I'd recommend protecting the Nuvi w/a Ram mount!! Their suction cups are unmatched for holding strength. I use Ram mounts for on and off road, and have total faith in them. My Nuvi would also be mounted on one if they made one w/built in power
    I'm just nuts about geocaching!!

The bracket for my Nuvi just broke. I came back to the car (it was parked in a sunny spot on a very hot day) and the little plastic pieces on the back side of the metal bar (which hold the plastic suction section to the bar of the bracket) were laying on my seat. I emailed Garmin and inquired on how to buy a new one.......they are supposed to be sending me one.

Perhaps the metal heated up and with the weight of the unit hanging on it - it stressed the plastic - I don't know but it did break.

The tabs on my RAM bracket for my 76C also broke. Now to write them.......

I've had the same happen with my Nuvi but fortunately it hasn't broken yet. I'm always coming back and finding it on the floor of the car after falling from the windshield. Course it's quite a bit hotter down here most of the time too.

I can't believe you guys leave them on the dash or windshield. That is a good way to get them stolen. I always take mine off the dash and tuck it in the pocket near the seat out of sight.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.