vb:literal>

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: paperless caching

Quote Originally Posted by ltlindian View Post
    Really? I think it's a Garmin 12. I don't have it right handy, it's in the car, but I think that's the name. I've long since misplaced the owner's manual. I suppose I could download it from Garmin and find out what it can do. Thanks.
    Yup, all the old manuals are available on line - or if not from Garmin - someone out there has them posted. Doesn't matter the model or year - just having fun is a big part of it. Thos that have cached with me will tell you want mine says - much different that theirs - most of the time.....but we still find 'em. Cache on - cache happy!

Default Ahhhh!!!!!

OK, before I pull my hair out I need some advice.

I got a Palm Z22 for X-mas so that I could start paperless caching. Spring is coming fast so I thought I'd figure it out before it gets here.

I have Cachemate and GSAK. I can get my PQ to GSAK and then under file I am going to Export then Cachemate PDE file. Then I generate the thing and my Palm quick install pops up with the selected caches.

OK, this is where I am running into problems.....I try to Hot Sync but I get an error: "HotSync operation was interrupted. Some of your data was not backed up. For details see log." The log says: HotSync Error: An application cancelled sychronization or failed to respond to a HotSync notification. Please ensure that you are not currently editing data using applications such as Palm OS Desktop or Install Tool. (8009)

So am I missing a step somewhere. I know the hotsync works with other stuff. I have used it with contacts with out any problems.

Any advice???????
    Thanks.

Hmmm not sure but make sure you have enough memory to accept what you have to load onto it. Also make sure it is using the correct comport as well. Other than that I don't know what else to tell yah.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

The problem I ran into with that, was I could only enter 10 cache pages. I tried to purchase the full program for the Palm, but the owner was way less than helpful in assisting me in finding, the way too complicated numbers that were required for his damn program. Then I found out that the Nuvi is much better and easier to use.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by al'Thor View Post

I got a Palm Z22 for X-mas so that I could start paperless caching. Spring is coming fast so I thought I'd figure it out before it gets here.

I have Cachemate and GSAK. I can get my PQ to GSAK and then under file I am going to Export then Cachemate PDE file. Then I generate the thing and my Palm quick install pops up with the selected caches.

OK, this is where I am running into problems.....I try to Hot Sync but I get an error: "HotSync operation was interrupted. Some of your data was not backed up. For details see log." The log says: HotSync Error: An application cancelled sychronization or failed to respond to a HotSync notification. Please ensure that you are not currently editing data using applications such as Palm OS Desktop or Install Tool. (8009)

So am I missing a step somewhere. I know the hotsync works with other stuff. I have used it with contacts with out any problems.

Any advice???????
    Thanks.
    OK - so CacheMate is installed on your Palm? Right?

You go to Export and pick CacheMate. Right? Or you have created a button on your bar and are using it.

Once that Export is clicked a new window should open. You have to have a place to store the file and a name for it. Other things need to be check but the most important box it to install to the palm after conversion.

Then if I remember there is another box which opens. And from there is is just the synching process.

Try to find someone who has a Palm and a laptop and get together somewhere with them to run through the process. Do you have a laptop or are you trying to do this from home on a PC?

Once you get it down it will be worth it.

I love using my Nuvi too but that is totally different than the Palm. Each is a tool and a bit different. Don't give up - just bring your stuff to an event where folks have their laptops or get together with someone.

The more experienced will tell you - I am not an expert but fumble through pretty well. If I can do it - you can too!

Default Memory..??

Quote Originally Posted by al'Thor View Post

Any advice???????
    Thanks.
    How many caches are you trying to load? Try loading just one cache from GSAK. The only time I get an error is when I have exceeded the memory in my unit, a similar Zire model. I have a 512 SD card that I have put in so I can load all of Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont caches.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Ok, here's my two cents.......When I went paperless, I too bought a Palm Z22.......Then I got rid of it when I got my NUVI! I use that as my Street Navigator and it holds all my cache descriptions like my Palm did.
    I use a Vista and a Nuvi for all my caching needs.

I had the same problem...it was that I;m using vista....my palm was xp....some one sent me a link that fixed the problem. Then I had another problem with my palm, so decided to uninstall it, then reinstall....now I have the same original problem again. Can't remember the link to fix it.

I too would agree that paperless is the only way to go! I have only been paperless for 09 and like many before me did the whole paper thing when I first began in 08. Some will remember when Patrick ( Mapachi ) gave away his palm to the FTF on his Palm in Maine cache to help someone (me) go paperless. This now made caching quicker and with a lot less paper! I no longer use the palm since I have gone to the Nuvi ( now with 8000 caches on it) and would like to give it to someone,like Patrick did for me, to help them go paperless. This palm comes complete with a charger and cachemate already on it! Unlike Patrick who hid it in the wild for me to find I would like to just give it to Itlindian so that you can enjoy paperless caching like so many of us!

Thanks everyone for your imput. However, I still can't figure it out. I'll keep trying as it is most likely something simple. It is not a memory problem; I have tried with just one cache with the same result. I'll email some cachers in my neck of the woods and see if any of them are using a Palm. If all else fails I'll take hollora's advise and pack up my Palm and laptop and bring it to an event. Thanks all!