vb:literal>

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: paperless caching

Since I am a computer idiot I will have to have someone show me how to do this when I get ready! I have one of the first hand held Garmins now so I don't think it has the capabilities to do any of that stuff.

Maybe this can be my Xmas present!

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    If you are a premium member then you can go to google maps on the cache page and you will have all the caches in that area that you would like to cache in. With additional maps like City Navigator on your GPS you should be able to route to the cache directly.

I am a premium member. I LOVE the Google maps feature. It's a little easier to plan out geocaches and how to get there from the previous geocache. I'm not sure I'm ready to spend the $90 on City Navigator, but perhaps I can put a text file on my PDA. I'll give it a shot.
    Oscilating between remarkable brillance and sheer stupidity with amazing regularity.

Lightbulb gas 4.11 a gallon......

Quote Originally Posted by NativeMainer View Post
    I'm not sure I'm ready to spend the $90 on City Navigator, but perhaps I can put a text file on my PDA. I'll give it a shot.

I have been using Mapsource and a good navigator for about 2 years now. Their resources have saved me countless miles and hundreds of dollars in gas. It's worth every penny to be able to plan for the days caches and then get to them, in the shortest amount of time and distance.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

I'll second what T2h said. The City Navigator Map set used with your GPS along with a laptop or desktop is a great tool. It's what I use almost exclusively in my Garmin.
    I'd really rather not cache, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion!

I will add that if you go the PDA/Cachemate route you do not have to use GSAK. GSAK is a great program for sorting and looking over caches, but it is quite possible to get by without it. You can just create a PQs that are in the area you want to cache, excluding found caches and any other common filtering that a GSAK user would use. Cachemate can read and install that PQ without GSAK.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Default Just to add a bit more confusion.

When planning for the cache run we did yesterday in western Maine I used mapsource ans GSAK. I looked at mapsource loaded with unfound caches to figure the route. Then I used a user sort column in GSAK to number them in the order I wanted to hit them. Once you are on the route it was a simple leapfrog process with finding the next nearest cache. Occasionally looking back to the laptop to make sure we were still on track. Easy right
    Happy Trails!

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957 View Post
    When planning for the cache run we did yesterday in western Maine I used mapsource ans GSAK. I looked at mapsource loaded with unfound caches to figure the route. Then I used a user sort column in GSAK to number them in the order I wanted to hit them. Once you are on the route it was a simple leapfrog process with finding the next nearest cache. Occasionally looking back to the laptop to make sure we were still on track. Easy right
    As long as I was driving and you just said right here when it meant your right left! You be da' man to navigate!

Talking Just ask Hiram!!

I fear I am getting dyslexic in my "older" age. You know when I say right I mean right. And when I say left I mean right.
    Happy Trails!

Quote Originally Posted by ltlindian View Post
    I have one of the first hand held Garmins now so I don't think it has the capabilities to do any of that stuff.
    I'll bet it does... LOL!

As BRDAD, I think he's still using one of the first model Garmins ever produced.

Really? I think it's a Garmin 12. I don't have it right handy, it's in the car, but I think that's the name. I've long since misplaced the owner's manual. I suppose I could download it from Garmin and find out what it can do. Thanks.