vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now for something I just learned.....

Smile Now for something I just learned.....

I have always transferred info from Mapsource into my Garmin MAP60CSx with the cable. It took forever...... I had an issue last night transferring maps into my GPS. For some reason Mapsource couldn't "find" my device. So this morning I removed the SD Micro chip and used the SD card adapter. This fits nicely into my laptop's card reader. Mapsource found the device in drive F: and the transfer of maps was.......well. Fast! In only a few minutes the transfer was complete. Before I would wait 15 minutes for the map set to build and another 15 minutes to send. Just goes to prove.....it's never too late to learn something new.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

I guess I'm not smart enough to sync my PDA with the laptop via Bluetooth, so I've always removed the SD card from the PDA and stuck it in the slot on the computer to update the card. Works great! LOL!

If you would have asked I would have told you.

That's the only way I transfer anything to the Memory Card for the GPS.
    I'd really rather not cache, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion!

So what this means, is that because I'm getting a GPSMap 60Cx, that I should be getting something like one of these http://www.kingston.com/flash/readers.asp.

Default Walmart

Quote Originally Posted by Starzz View Post
    So what this means, is that because I'm getting a GPSMap 60Cx, that I should be getting something like one of these http://www.kingston.com/flash/readers.asp.

My MAP60CSx has a replaceable SD Micro chip, and all I did was go out and purchase a 1G card and the adapter. The larger adapter is so I can plug it directly into my laptop's card reader on the side.

here: Walmart.com: Kingston 2GB microSD Card w/ Full-Size SD Adapter for your Digital Camera, Mobile Phone, GPS Device, or Camcorde...
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

I don't have a card reader on my computer, so I'll need a USB reader.. right?

Default Yes......

How often do you travel off the island and how far do you go? The 64MB card that comes with the GPS'r holds a lot of info. I had all of New England with City Navigator and Topo, on the original card it came with. The only reason I am downloading maps again is for the Quebec to Indiana road trip. 2 places I don't usually cache in.

You don't really need the card reader for the unit to work. It's just easier. The more you travel the more you would need to have it.

I don't travel too far, but this fall, my aunt and I will be going to New Hampshire for a week.

Thanks for the help!

Default Mapsource MB's...

I just used Mapsource to look at the size of the maps for:

New Brunswick
    Quebec
    Maine
    New Hampshire
    Vermont

and it would ALL fit on the 64MB card the unit comes with. Save your money for the really important stuff..................

Yeah - but they're really cheap.

Looking at T2H's comments (an the stuff at the link he provided), you need both the SD adapter for the MINI-SD card in the 60csx, and the USB adapter to connect your SD card to the computer.

Hey! We're in New Brunswick on a caching trip prior to the Quebec City mega-event. We're near Campbelton - up north. Nice area!