vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rhode Island event, no need to attend!

Default Rhode Island event, no need to attend!

Looking for an easy find? This event allows anyone to log a find just by doing some cito at your caches. If anyone wants to attend and needs a kayak, let me know.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...a-5994b0877e94

Question

While I lke to think that a find should be betwen a cacher and a cache hider, I would not consider this a find myself if I didn't actually attend.

An event is supposed to bring people together, tell stories, discuss issues. While posting a pic of yourself cleaning up your own cache on the same day 50 others are somewhere else doing the same may create a friendship on occasion, I think it's a stretch from an actual meeting.

Logging this from somewhere other than the posted coordinates seems more like a locationless cache to me. "Pick up trash, take a picture, log it as a find"

That's my opinion

Default Approvers make the rules...

If the cache did not meet GC.com rules, the approver should have worked that out before activating the cache.

My opinion is that whatever is in play, is loggable, even a locationless event cache.

Of course, I usually ignore caches that just don't spark my interest. To each, his own!

Actually, I LIKE this idea. It encourages people to CITO their own caches - spring cleaning and all that.

I support any idea that encourages CITO, and I think this is a great innovation.

Maine is well known for having exceptionally clean highways (ever been in North/South Carolina? I used to make a LOT of money on Saturdays just picking up aluminum cans - for the aluminum value - no return value there). But cleaning up the miscellaneous trash that always appears mysteriously when the snow melts is cool!

This is really a "locationless" cache - works for me.

Last edited by WhereRWe?; 04-03-2005 at 05:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tat
    My opinion is that whatever is in play, is loggable, even a locationless event cache.
    I haven't seen the cache posting but I tend to agree with tat...if it's posted, it's legal. It's up to the cacher to make the decision and doing a little cito on your own cache locations never hurts.

As far as meeting the guidelines, I am not sure. I know event caches are supposed to be at one location, but as always there are exceptions if it is worked out with gc.com first. So, maybe he got permission to do this. One such "moving" event cache was Clayjar's AlaskaQuest 2004. And, approvers are people to, they can make mistakes as easily as the rest of us. It's also possible this section was added after the cache was approved.

As far as it being a locationless cache, that is fine, if it was listed as one, if it meets the guidelines, and if the moratorium on locationless cache submissions were removed. Which, was supposed to happen at least a year ago.

Anyway, it's listed, so I wouldn't say anyone is wrong for logging it. Just that I most likely wouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by brdad

As far as it being a locationless cache, that is fine, if it was listed as one, if it meets the guidelines, and if the moratorium on locationless cache submissions were removed. Which, was supposed to happen at least a year ago.
    (Previous message snipped for brevity)

Yeah - I know it's not a recognized locationless cache, but you can rationalize the event that way.

As I said before - it's a great incentive to CITO >>YOUR OWN<< caches, which I think is good.

Default Along that same vein

There was a new one posted in Maine today where the owner wants something e-mailed to him before it may be logged. Sounds like a traditional/virtual hybrid. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...e-f7ec6d975f29
    Happy Trails!

Wink Category expansion

Is that a new category Brad? hehehe
    ~ Beach Comber ~

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957
    There was a new one posted in Maine today where the owner wants something e-mailed to him before it may be logged. Sounds like a traditional/virtual hybrid. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...e-f7ec6d975f29
    I have no problem with a cache like this, it's just extra verification that you have been there.

Hmm, maybe we can have them add a line to that cache like:

"If anyone can't make it to this cache, submit a photo of yourself finding another cache, and log this one as a find"

I guess that'd be a traditional/virt/locationless?

If I can't make it to the wings and beer event, can I take a picture of myself with beer and wings and log it as a find? (I know CITO is a better cause than wings and beer, I'm just trying to make a basic point)
    Last edited by brdad; 04-04-2005 at 06:50 AM.