vb:literal>

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: first hide--not

Ocean Point Rocks is different; the cache type was changed to virtual. The change was made before virtuals were discontinued. When virtuals were discontinued, existing virtuals, like this one, were grandfathered. Changing from a regular cache to a virtual is no longer allowed.
    The farmer gave permission to place the cache in the field, but the bull charges.

Quote Originally Posted by tat View Post
    Ocean Point Rocks is different; the cache type was changed to virtual. The change was made before virtuals were discontinued. When virtuals were discontinued, existing virtuals, like this one, were grandfathered. Changing from a regular cache to a virtual is no longer allowed.
    Yes, I just noticed that it was changed, back when you could do that. But unlike most virtuals that I have done (and granted I haven't done many) you don't need to answer any questions to "prove" you found it. You find a date and you can do the math if you like math (I do, so I did) but you don't e-mail the owner and have your "find" verified. And you don't even need to find the date, you can just wander and enjoy. But it is a very enjoyable place!
    "There is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats". Wind In the Willows

I agree that this is different in that it is a Virtual but it still should require that you do something to show that you were there. Post a picture of you and your GPS, a picture of the view that identifies you were there, a picture of an identifiable item, send the sign info to the owner, something, anything.

A house is not a home without a cat.

Just an update--I was able to find another spot for a cache and now it is listed! Yay! Everyone rush out and find my first hidden cache! It's called Knickercane. I'm still waiting to hear on the Point cache so hopefully I can hide one there soon too.

Quote Originally Posted by ltlindian View Post
    Just an update--I was able to find another spot for a cache and now it is listed! Yay! Everyone rush out and find my first hidden cache! It's called Knickercane. I'm still waiting to hear on the Point cache so hopefully I can hide one there soon too.
    Congrats on your first cache hide. Hiding a cache and reading the logs on line can be just as fun and entertaining as finding caches.

To me, hiding a cache is as important as finding caches as it is a way of "giving back" to the geocaching community (although to tell the truth I've slacked off lately . . . I've got to find some time and more places to hide a few more). The way I look at it . . . if no one bothered to hide a cache and everyone just wanted to find caches the game would get pretty boring and stale pretty quickly.

Bringing folks to a new place that they might never have seen or teaching them about some history or geology is part of the appeal to me . . . and reading the logs (especially the entertaining ones) can be pretty addictive. On the flip side, I absolutely hate reading logs that indicate the person was simply looking for a cache and not really looking at the place that I brought them to (i.e. #23 of 45 caches of the day" or "TFTC SL TNLN") -- to me this usually shows me that the person either didn't like the place or cache or simply didn't take the time to really look at the place that I brought them. Fortunately, most folks take the time to post more detailed logs and share some of their thoughts -- good or bad.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Thumbs up keep those cache hide comments coming

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    Congrats on your first cache hide. Hiding a cache and reading the logs on line can be just as fun and entertaining as finding caches.

To me, hiding a cache is as important as finding caches as it is a way of "giving back" to the geocaching community (although to tell the truth I've slacked off lately . . . I've got to find some time and more places to hide a few more). The way I look at it . . . if no one bothered to hide a cache and everyone just wanted to find caches the game would get pretty boring and stale pretty quickly.

Bringing folks to a new place that they might never have seen or teaching them about some history or geology is part of the appeal to me . . . and reading the logs (especially the entertaining ones) can be pretty addictive. On the flip side, I absolutely hate reading logs that indicate the person was simply looking for a cache and not really looking at the place that I brought them to (i.e. #23 of 45 caches of the day" or "TFTC SL TNLN") -- to me this usually shows me that the person either didn't like the place or cache or simply didn't take the time to really look at the place that I brought them. Fortunately, most folks take the time to post more detailed logs and share some of their thoughts -- good or bad.
    You've just been quoted for the newsletter! tehehe
    "Given a chance, a child will bring the confusion of the world to the woods, wash it in the creek, turn it over to see what lives on the unseen side of that confusion." --Richard Louv, Last Child in the Woods

How many cache owners compare the written log to the online log? Anyone?

I have been removed from a virtual cache because I apparently didn't answer the questions properly. I was never contacted or querried by the owner, needless to say I never bothered to follow on it, or seek out any more caches by this owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Macmo View Post

I have been removed from a virtual cache because I apparently didn't answer the questions properly. I was never contacted or querried by the owner, needless to say I never bothered to follow on it, or seek out any more caches by this owner.
    On occasion I do compare my log sheets to on line. Usually there are far more in the cache log than on line. I can't remember removing one.

I have deleted a log(s) on one of my Earthcaches for failure to comply with posting some sort of a photo and no explanation of why that piece of the logging requirement could not be completed ~ when it is very clear in the cache page and description that is a requirement of logging.

Probably in the scheme of things - the loss of a virtual find is minimal but odd that the owner would take the time to delete it but not email you to ask a question. I hear you about not doing caches by this owner.

I think not so many, but we have a low number of cachers, which gives us a low percentage of intentional cheaters. I also like to believe Mainers are an honest group. But there are bound a few unintentionally logged caches. Heck, I logged the same cache 7 or 8 times in a row a few weeks ago!

I do look through my written log books when I replace them, or if I get an online log that seems suspicious. Sometimes people just log the wrong cache by mistake. Sometimes people log on the web site but not online, so it's nice to see those logs as well.

I had a finder remove his log from one of my caches a few weeks ago. I didn't have to check the logbook, he logged online that he found something a few miles away and that was good enough for him. But, I took the time to email him to make sure what I read was true before saying I could not accept that as a find. Communication is one of the points I mention in my Anatomy of a great cache hide article, and it would have helped in the case of your virtual.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

I rarely compare the written log to the on-line log unless I have some questions as to whether the person actually found the cache . . . happily I have yet to be disappointed in my faith in the geocaching community.

I've only had one log deleted . . . but that was for the infamous Fitz cache. As for myself, I've never deleted a log . . . and never would unless something was just way too outrageous . . . and even then I would rather send a note to the cacher asking them to modify their log or remove it voluntarily. I have on a couple of occasions requested (key emphasis on the word "requested") that cachers alter their entry on-line . . . but only to not spill the beans on one of my cache locations (it's a cache that is written in a manner so that many folks don't expect to end up where they do.)
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."