vb:literal>

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: first hide--not

Default first hide--not

Darn--I was so excited to hid my first cache. It's filled with good swag and hidden in a nice spot. However, I didn't realize that there is a virtual cache just 400' from the place I wanted to put my cache. So, it's not being listed. I guess as I get doing this more I'll pay attention to where other caches are and avoid this in the future.

Oh well, keep looking and I'll have my own cache eventually!

What a bummer. I did not realize that they would not approve a real planted cache that was 400' from a virtual. I don't see why they would not approve it? I don't consider a real cache and a virtual cache the same thing. Granted they are both caches. I am sure they have a reason. However I can not see why it can not be done because your not planting a real cache in the location as where a virtual cache is not a planted cache, just my thoughts.
    Blazing Troll

don't be discouraged one of ours when we placed it was right on top of another. we did not know it was there and the kicker is we placed it right on top of the other cache. i mean i put my hand in the spot i put it and pulled out two seperate caches. we found a new home for ours and signed the log for the other. now we take coords and input them to see how far they are from another cache. good luck with your cache

I have some counselors at the campground I work at that are very insistive that there is a cache placed on a nice scenic overlook on a hill nearby. They describe it and it sounds like a real cache, but it isn't listed, not even for premium members only, so I don't know what it's doing there. Guess there are caches everywhere, even where they are aren't supposed to be.

I have some counselors at the campground I work at that are very insistive that there is a cache placed on a nice scenic overlook on a hill nearby. They describe it and it sounds like a real cache, but it isn't listed, not even for premium members only, so I don't know what it's doing there. Guess there are caches everywhere, even where they are aren't supposed to be.
    Perhaps it is posted on the navicache.com site. It is not as popular as geocaching.com but sometimes caches appear there that cannot be posted on GC.com

A house is not a home without a cat.

Just an update--I received a note from the Maine Publisher that they didn't realize that it was a virtual cache and they have asked the owner to place a real cache. If they don't, they I can place my cache there! YAY!

is this the cache with the name "point"? if it is then it is a real cache but with no cache container according to the owner. Point this is the link. we went to do this cache and when we got there we read the palm to find out there was no container and that there was a virtual of sorts there now. we did not log it because we felt even though we were there there was no proof like a log book for us to sign. i hope either a container goes in or you can place yours it is a nice area.

Unhappy I need to vent

Point does in fact appear to be the cache in question.

There was once a coffee can container there because I found it. It seems that the cache disappeared and the "owner" just said 'I can't be bothered to replace it' and writes in the description

Actual cahce has disappeared. The actual cache is now more virtual. This park is a wonderful hidden treasure.
    Apparently all you have to do to log it is to say that you were there. No log book to sign. Even if it were a "Virtual" you would have had to send some information to the owner to show that you were there.

I don't feel that this cache has the slightest conformity with the "spirit of geocaching" reguardless of how far you try and streach the guidelines. In my opinion it should be archived by the Maine reviewer immediately.

I am also "disturbed" by the number of Maine geocachers, who I felt were "top notch", going out to find a cache and then just logging it and not trying to maintain "standards" for caches in Maine that so many who visit these forums feel are important.

This cache should be archived immediately and you should place a cache worthy of being a Maine cache there.

I feel better

A house is not a home without a cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabby View Post
    I am also "disturbed" by the number of Maine geocachers, who I felt were "top notch", going out to find a cache and then just logging it and not trying to maintain "standards" for caches in Maine that so many who visit these forums feel are important
    As one of the cachers who match that description and having logged the cache, I am pondering my log now. I can't imagine logging a cache without signing the log book, it has been a rule of mine since I started (well, excepting having Lee sign my name on occasion since most people can't read my writing anyway). I do remember in the 'old days', sometimes a cacher would change a cache to a mock virtual and ask for proof you were there like the real virtuals were. But things are different nowadays.

Lee is quite certain there was a cache there when we went, in a tree. She is looking through her notebooks now. I suppose I could have thought the cache was a virtual. But my online log still sounds suspicious. I will be changing my log to a note if I conclude we didn't find the cache. To be continued....

EDIT: After looking through the other logs and Lee not finding her notebook from that day, I am assuming we either thought it was a virtual, logged it accidentally as a find, or had too much sun on the boat to Monhegan that day! We are changing our found logs to notes.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Yes, Point is the one in question. I'll let you know what the Maine Publisher says once they hear from the owners. I'm quite excited to place my cache as it is a really nice spot!