vb:literal>

Thread: Another great cache idea!!!

Default Another great cache idea!!!

Even some states are taking part and getting involved with geocaching now.

http://www.arkansasstateparks.com/th...do/geocaching/
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

That makes me want to travel to Arkansas. Well almost.

I heard that Acadia National park is going to have some ranger placed Letterboxes but they are not going to do geocaches.

This seems a little unfair to us cachers.

Quote Originally Posted by balinda View Post
    That makes me want to travel to Arkansas. Well almost.

I heard that Acadia National park is going to have some ranger placed Letterboxes but they are not going to do geocaches.

This seems a little unfair to us cachers.
    They have done a Geocache - but it's an Earthcache - read GC11M7T. There are several stages. I have not done it but doing an Earthcache does give you a cache and a new icon too.

I hope your not right about the Letterboxes because I placed a cache at the St. Croix Island overlook & was made to remove it. It's now an earth cache. I talked to the ranger from that place & contacted the head person for Acadia. The reason we can't hide caches in National parks is because in the past geocachers have caused damage looking for the caches (so I was told). That does make sense. But how is Letterboxing different?
    Mipster

The rules are the same for all National Parks. I am not aware of any Letterboxes in NPs but of course am not an expert. There are a number of Letterboxes on Mt. Desert Island but not, to the best of my knowledge, on park land.

And hidden by the Rangers may make a difference. I will not defend the thinking on that one - just state that done by staff they may feel they have more control.

Acadia's cache is an Earthcache.

Arrow GCZ5FP earthcache in park

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    The rules are the same for all National Parks. I am not aware of any Letterboxes in NPs but of course am not an expert. There are a number of Letterboxes on Mt. Desert Island but not, to the best of my knowledge, on park land.

And hidden by the Rangers may make a difference. I will not defend the thinking on that one - just state that done by staff they may feel they have more control.

Acadia's cache is an Earthcache.
    We did the earthcache on Schoodic this past weekend. It's a must do if you're in the area! The rock formations are very obvious and amazing when you stop to think about it. The views of the ocean are gorgeous. There's lots of space to get away from the parking lot where the tourists are and to have some lunch on a rock or bit of moss overlooking the ocean. The bathrooms were nice too. Careful driving in and out, because the tourists don't use signals to indicate they're slamming on breaks and pulling over to see the scenery.
    "Given a chance, a child will bring the confusion of the world to the woods, wash it in the creek, turn it over to see what lives on the unseen side of that confusion." --Richard Louv, Last Child in the Woods

Quote Originally Posted by Medawisla View Post
    We did the earthcache on Schoodic this past weekend. It's a must do if you're in the area! The rock formations are very obvious and amazing when you stop to think about it. The views of the ocean are gorgeous. There's lots of space to get away from the parking lot where the tourists are and to have some lunch on a rock or bit of moss overlooking the ocean. The bathrooms were nice too. Careful driving in and out, because the tourists don't use signals to indicate they're slamming on breaks and pulling over to see the scenery.
    Did you do the virtual or did you already have it? It was to dark Friday night for Jake to grab the Earthcache.

Wink campfire was bright

Did you do the virtual or did you already have it? It was to dark Friday night for Jake to grab the Earthcache.
    We did the virtual, but I haven't logged it yet, forgot to! haha
    "Given a chance, a child will bring the confusion of the world to the woods, wash it in the creek, turn it over to see what lives on the unseen side of that confusion." --Richard Louv, Last Child in the Woods

Yeah . . . still can't figure out why you didn't want to go out on the wet rocks near the waves at 8:30 p.m. at night in the dark . . . I mean I did have my mini flashlight (powered by a single AAA battery.)
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

About Acadia's EarthCache ...
    My family did the multi-cache program at Acadia this past spring and thought it was really well done. The caches were EarthCache's and you had to solve the riddle to get to the first one then find the clue to find the next (which involved solving another riddle on the clue to find the next one -- and no hidden 'boxes' were involved).

It was a very clever program and after finding all the EarthCaches, the last riddle brought you to a place where there was a letterbox-type stamp to complete the program (we were glad we had our letterbox notebook with us for that). The kids were also happy to have the password for the website they have set up for this EarthCache to print out their 'official' park certificates for completing the program.

It took about 5 hours total to do the EarthCache program at the park (driving time to find each EarthCache because they are all over the park and require some hiking as well). We thought it was well worth the effort to spend the time and learn all kinds of interesting features about the park.