vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Garmin eTrex - Legend Handheld GPS question

I have a legend, the only problem is that the unit malfunctined when it was few months old. I had to send to Garmin for a replacement (under warranty).

But consider what you get for just a little more investment in something like the Venture HC
    http://www.gpsnow.com/garmin_etrex_venture_hc.htm#info

For not much more money you get a much more sensitive reciever (important with tree cover or around elevation), color screen, more map memory and you don't have to keep a relic laptop with a serial cable, (or mess around with a serial adapter) you get the high speed USB cable.

Just food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    yeah, too many bells and whistles... all i need is somethin to tell me where the cache is, and to tell me where i am...

Unless you're like jake and own a magellan, he prefers the unit that guesses where the cache is and thinks it knows where you are...

But if you want a really reliable cheap gps unit that you can download waypoints to, the Garmin72 is awesome. I carried one for years practically through hell and back and it never skipped a beat... It was only about $100 when I bought it, and it paid for itself on numerous ocassions. I have a 76 now, and still miss the 72...
    I'm still beating myself up for not getting a picture of you using my Magellan! By the way, did you guys find your Garmin?
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Wink oh wheeerrrreee is my garmin?

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    I'm still beating myself up for not getting a picture of you using my Magellan! By the way, did you guys find your Garmin?
    No, we haven't!
    So, we have to decide: Does Hiram buy a Colorado, or do I buy a 72 for Hiram? mmmm the posibilities
    "Given a chance, a child will bring the confusion of the world to the woods, wash it in the creek, turn it over to see what lives on the unseen side of that confusion." --Richard Louv, Last Child in the Woods

Quote Originally Posted by Medawisla View Post
    No, we haven't!
    So, we have to decide: Does Hiram buy a Colorado, or do I buy a 72 for Hiram? mmmm the posibilities
    I say we all pitch in and get Hiram one of these.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

d’76 Guest

No, we haven't!
    Was this the Colorado you ment http://www.rockymountainsusp.com/Shane_06Colorado.jpg
    or was this it
    https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=11019

I suspect he will be more open to one over the other

No, we haven't!
    Magellan wasn't even considered, huh?
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    I say we all pitch in and get Hiram one of these.
    Either that or for his next GPSr we get him a pair of those clip on mitten keepers that we had in Kindergarten . . . you remember the ones with the clips on a string . . . one end you would clip on to your mittens and the other end would clip on to your coat. In this case we could clip one end to his GPSr and the other end to Steph . . . then maybe he wouldn't lose . . . I mean misplace his GPSr.

http://www.rainbowconnection.com/pro...2dd473c2fdf93a

No, we haven't!
    Well . . . you know what Heidi says about me forgetting where I place things. If my. . . . well you remember the saying.

Default 'tis the season.....

Probably a dumb question.....
    For those familiar with Garmin's, will the data cable used with the map60 series work with the eTrex?
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

Depends on the year of it. My old Vista Etrex doesn't take the mini USB but you can get adapters for them.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.