vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Garmin eTrex - Legend Handheld GPS question

Default Garmin eTrex - Legend Handheld GPS question

I am looking for a new cheap gps (around $100). Has anyone ever used or owned a Garmin E trex legend. I would like to be able to download waypoints from the site with this. Im getting sick of entering them by hand Thanks.

I think that was one of the more popular GPS's a few years back and know a lot of cachers who have owned that one. It certainly will do what you want. May I suggest any of the Garmin "H" series GPS's. They have the new high sensitivity chip in them and will likely get you closer to your caches. If you want a more expensive GPS then the new one from Garmin the "Oregon" series seems to be the newest one just manufactured,touch screen and all.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

If you want a more expensive GPS then the new one from Garmin the "Oregon" series seems to be the newest one just manufactured,touch screen and all.
    A few of the local cachers were not that impressed by it when compared to the "Colorado" and did not think it was worth the additional cost.

A house is not a home without a cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabby View Post
    A few of the local cachers were not that impressed by it when compared to the "Colorado" and did not think it was worth the additional cost.
    yeah, too many bells and whistles... all i need is somethin to tell me where the cache is, and to tell me where i am...

Unless you're like jake and own a magellan, he prefers the unit that guesses where the cache is and thinks it knows where you are...

But if you want a really reliable cheap gps unit that you can download waypoints to, the Garmin72 is awesome. I carried one for years practically through hell and back and it never skipped a beat... It was only about $100 when I bought it, and it paid for itself on numerous ocassions. I have a 76 now, and still miss the 72...
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by tross354 View Post
    I am looking for a new cheap gps (around $100). Has anyone ever used or owned a Garmin E trex legend. I would like to be able to download waypoints from the site with this. Im getting sick of entering them by hand Thanks.
    We started with the eTrex Legend and really loved it. The only reason we don't have it now as we wanted to upgrade to something better. For the money, you can't go wrong with the Legend. Go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Sabby View Post
    Yes I realize that and when the Colorado first came out there were a lot of skeptics who said the same thing about that as well. I think with time and of course as time goes on and Garmin gets all the bugs out, the price will come down as well too like the Colorado's prices have.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

I started with a yellow etrex and now have a legend as well, and still use both 1000+ caches later.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Have an older 76C Garmin and was cheap - bought my daughter a yellow Etrex without bells and whistles to get her going. Can get the adaptor cord but she input by hand - had a lot better reception and general go to it stuff.........plus in many situations better locks - she as walking circles around me. I finally gave in and bought a "cheap, yellow, Etrex, Garmin" on Ebay. Love it......but loading can be a pain. Guess it depends on your techno level and caching sense.

Whatever - have fun with the game. BRDad doesn't sound like he has any of the big bells and whistles. Cache on - cache happy and have fun.

You can get a cable for the Yeller. I made mine myself, actually, but they can be purchased. The cable that works with the Legend will work with the Yeller as well.

You don't need all the bells and whistles to enjoy caching. But, bells and whistles can be fun....
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Woot! That is cool and anyone who has one and doesn't want it = PM me.